Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:01 AM   #1

Greetings!

I've done considerable searching within this forum prior to posting my first question as a newbie here, so I hope this isn't something commonplace that I missed. I've also gone through at least 150 reviews of this camera at Amazon and Epinion in an attempt to find one person with similar symptoms. I've also done as much Google searching as possible with various search terms. My one concrete Google result was this great forum!

The usual applause for the DX6490 here. Prior to this latest issue, I did have one dropped-camera problem, which was corrected by sending it in to a factory-authorized repair center. Turns out whatever board is inside must have been jolted out of it's socket. I swore if that happened again I'd take the little monster apart myself to reseat the board, as I've rebuilt computers from the ground up and could certainly reseat something. Since then this unit has functioned as expected for quite a while, through thousands of shots.

Now on to my current problem. A couple weeks ago I was outside taking pictures (temps were in the high 30's/low 40's and I've taken pics in colder temps with no problem). The camera was working fine in all respects through at least 6-8 shots, including Review function. I had occasion to open the flash to get more light into an enclosed, dark area, but when I pushed the button to take the picture I heard a fairly audible "SNAP" inside the camera and all functions ceased. The lens remained extended, the LCD went dark and the only sign of life since has been the flash (10 times) of the green light when I rotate the control dial from OFF to any other mode.

My troubleshooting has involved checking the battery for charge (4.17V on my Fluke multimeter), inspecting the battery, contacts and compartment for signs of corrosion or leakage (none), removing the storage media chip (working fine until that moment) and battery and connecting via Dock (no change in results from using battery power), connecting directly to power cord (no signs of life whatsoever).

Since yesterday afternoon (when I worked my way through Kodak's online troubleshooting system) I've had the camera disconnected from power with battery and media removed and am waiting 24 hours until I once again reinstall the battery to see if there's any change. I'm assuming this is a standard procedure to achieve a factory reset.

I have *not* attempted, during my troubleshooting period, to gently pull the lens out any further, as was suggested more than once in the information I've found so far. I'm fairly convinced that this is an electrical fault, more by the quality of the snap sound and (what happened to get to that point) than anything else. It sounded for all the world like a fuse going off or a breaker being triggered. None of my research indicates that this camera has a replaceable fuse or breaker, although I thought I came across something months ago (why the heck I didn't bookmark it I'll never know) which might have referred to a fusible link of some kind.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has heard of this problem before, even if it was not solved. I'd also like to know if anyone has any way of accessing a factory repair manual or the appropriate factory instructions for resolution of this issue. Also, any information about breaking this camera down into component parts or even taking it apart all would be most welcome.

Thanks very much in advance for any help!

RC
Rein is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2006, 1:38 PM   #2

Rc-

I have not had a similiar problem with my DX-6490 camera. However, you do see 6490's for sale on E-bay ocassionally and www.costco.com has the Z7590 camera on sale right now at an un beliveable low $ (US) 239.99.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 1:57 PM   #3

Firstly , Hello Rein and welcome to the forums, as A 6490 owner I have not experienced this problem in8-10,000 shots.

Sorry to hear it died on you.If it happened to me,I`d replace the camera, another 6490, or the Z7590 as MT says.

I`m not saying you haven`t the ability to repair the camera,Its just that when repaired it could let you down at a crucial moment.Just my honest opinion

TD

tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 6:09 PM   #4

Thanks for your posts, guys; much appreciated! Actually, I've located another DX6490 for as low as $210, but before I go that route or the route of simply buying a newer model or trying to do what appears as a trade-up with Kodak, I want to exhaust all efforts to repair this one on my own. I don't intend to send it out for repair this time, as I feel I've already spent plenty on it and would be better off following your suggestions. I'd rather risk pulling the bugger apart and testing components in the hopes of finding maybe a capacitor, resistor or something else burned out, which is what I'm guessing happened. What have I got to lose, right?

Update on my own troubleshooting - I've put the battery back (after 24 hours out of the camera) and then the media card. Now there's no green flashing light whatsoever when I rotate the control to ON. No green flashing light when I put it in the dock either. Wonderful, just wonderful! ;-) Not that surprised, I guess, but I had to try it...

I'll wait a couple more days for more comments or suggestions to come in before I start attacking this thing with surgical tools. Meantime, I'll check out the 7590.

TD - Very cool, well-composed shot, mister! In the foothills of the Lakes (or the Pennines, eh?), the shot reflected by the chrome of one motor back at the other, and the balance of the whole thing achieved diagonally within the frame with the added touch of initals! Amazing! Talk about optical, graphic magic! Brilliant!
Old Mar 10, 2006, 7:39 PM   #5

I sure dont have the technical answer for you but I can suggest that you post on

www.dpreview.com

and in the kodak forum...there is a guy there that is with kodak his name is Mike O'Brien andthe screen namehe goes by is mike051051. I have seen in the past folks that had problems with kodak digicams and he was very helpful to them. I hope that you remedy the problem in some way soon. Good Luck!
05_Silver_Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 7:48 PM   #6

Never had a problem with mine and as I do industrial maintenance and machine repair it sounds like a capacitor or as you said a fuse link or both as the fuse link would probably go if the capacitor or a resistor went. I can't believe there isn't a fuse link in there. To me there has to be. I've never had one apart so I can't help you with the route to take in disassemly! Sorry. If you decide to do it blind and get some results post them as a help to others please.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 7:52 PM   #7

Rein,

I have not done this myself, but I have heard of similar situations, when the battery dies on the camera, in the middle of a shot.

From what I gather, the last file on the SD card gets corrupt, and when the camera tries to read it, it causes the camera to hang, and hence the affect that you are seeing.

I would suggest that you put the SD card in a card reader and use Windows file manager to look at the files. Delete the last file and then put the SD card back in the camera, and see if it fixes the problem.

This is only a guess, as I have not encountered this issue my self.

Hope this helps

-thepusher
thepusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 10:54 PM   #8

Put it on the wedding list ,

honestly, i hope it works, but buy a fresh one!

TD

tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:14 AM   #9

Try powering up the camera withoutthe sd card. That's one way of eliminating that as an issue. Also, try starting in review mode; power up while pressing the review button.

Good luck, :-)

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 9:40 AM   #10

Tried all your ideas, without success. Thanks! I'll get back to you with any results from dpreview.