Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 12, 2006, 8:27 PM   #1

DX7440 is in a box with Kodak case # and return auth. # but not sure what I want to do?:?

Was on the phone 2x last Friday while at work.

1st call / quoted a flat rate for repair + frt + sales tax (I think repair was $110.00 not sure). They are also willing to replace the camera with a refurb Z760 with 6.1 MP but just a 3x optical zoom and 1 year warrenty and 30 refund if unhappy less re-stock charge $35.00for $119.00.

2nd call / asked for mailing address but they must have serial number of camera first so I said I would call back from home with camera seial number (when I called from home they read it to me from their records, why ask for it then?) When I asked again for the repair cost this time they said maximum of ---------(did not write down amount because the paper and pens near phone were in my way)

3rd call/ asked to clarify that since I gave credit card number for repair will they call me with repair cost so I can decide fix or replace. They said no since I agreed to give credit card number. I brout up the use of maximum repair cost in last call and they had nothing to say.

I have come to like my Z7590 and its 10x optical zoom and despites its non optical finder I like seeing the f-stop and shutter speed in the view finder.

THE BIG PROBLEMO

1/ Do I want a camera with the same size as my DX7444 but with less zoom just so I can use the Kodak tele-aux lens:?

2/ Would a v750 refurb be a smarter idea (do f-stop and shutter speeds showin the lcd or eye piece:?

3/ Would a Z700 4MP and 5x optical be a good choice (lens quality, compact in size like DX7440 and can it use the aux tel lens:?

KORNFUZED :?

BiLL

bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2006, 6:49 AM   #2

Bill-

http://www.costco.com still has the Kodak Z7590 for $239.95. That is even cheaper that Kodak's refurb price, and it is a brand new camera. Add to that low price Costco's very liberal return policy and you can buy the Z7590, try the Z7590, and if you don't like the Z7590, you can still get all of your money back.

Just an idea.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 8:03 AM   #3

Now, don't laugh.

This might be an excellent time to rediscover film. There are some amazing bargains available now. You can easily get a professional quality SLR, including a lens or two for $250 USD. I recently purchased a Nikon N80 as a "second camera". Well, guess what? Most days my 6490 sits on the dock while I wear my second camera like a second skin.

As for film costs and processing, so far my outlay is less than I would pay for a couple of SD cards.

I haven't given up on digital, but for the time being, I'm finding that the N80 is an inexpensive "step-up" to some more challenging photography.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 7:20 PM   #4

MT

I currently have a z7590 though I have become attached to the dx7440 because of its 4x optical zoom rather than 3x, 4MP is fine with me the z7590 is 5mp and the z760 is 6.1mp but just 3xoptical zoom.

If I am willing to settle for 4MP and 3x optical zoom should I consider a compact V550?:?

The Kodak tele aux lens will fit the z760, not sure about if it will fit the z7590 or the v550.:?

Been looking at the z700 5x opticaland dx7630 4x optical :?:?

BiLL

:|

P.S.

My brother who has become Cannon digital orthodox bought a cannon flash and gave me his Vivitar DF 200 flash.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 7:29 PM   #5

Tom O

I kissed my Nikon FE & FE2, motor dirives and double hernia of lenses good-bye(never left the house with more than 3 lenses and tried to keep it to 2). Said avedersein to my Leica M3 and 35,50,90 and 135 lens (older cheaper models if there is such a thing as cheaper Leica lenses). My shoulders, back, and every moving part of my body never felt so good. I always felt like a airport "Red Cap" that did not get a tip the whole day for being the pack mule.

My Dx7440, extra battery and some memory chips weigh less than most peoples lunch.:-D

BiLL

:bye:

Old Mar 13, 2006, 9:28 PM   #6

Bill,

Have you looked at the Z730 - It is basically an upgrade to the 7440 except 5 mp and possibly some other tweaks. I picked one up as a carry with me always camer and it works great.

Steve
syoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 8:43 AM   #7

I will see what it looks like and read the review and see what a refurb from kodak will cost plus giving them my DX7440.

You have yours long? No regrets?

BiLL

Old Mar 14, 2006, 9:23 AM   #8

I'd send a coin for you to flip but you'd probably spend it Bill. Steve's suggestion is a pretty good one as a step up.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 9:26 AM   #9

Bill I just saw this on the Easy Sharers forum. Aussie Dave is divesting himself of some cameras. Might want to look at them!!

http://www.myfreebulletinboard.com/f...amp;highlight=

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:34 AM   #10

Aussie Dave is a nice guy but.............................The Aussie post office plays soccer and our post off office plays football with the packages ........................what kind of coin you sending me ? Make it $.50 or larger to justify the postage and so no one laughs at you for pay more for postage!!

My brother the Cannon snob gave me a Vivitar DF200, I think thats what you have:?

first switch positions:

off~ understood:idea:

1 2/N direct~ 1 and 2 are 1 and 2 pre-flash prior to Vivitar flashing:?N direct :?

Second switch for fractional power and 1 being full power others fractional

BiLL