Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:12 PM   #1

Any difference between TCON 17 and the Kodak?

TCON need a Tcon adaptor or is a Kodak adaptor okay?

Are either one more hand holdable than the other?

I have a A-200 1.5x 49 mm, anyone shot with it on a Kodak ?

BiLL

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2006, 3:21 PM   #2

Bill we all love the olympus tcon and its about 60bucks cheaper than kodaks tele plus a slight bit more powerful. Its a no brainer. The Kodak adapter will work perfectly. Heres the tcon
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

and just a size comparison for you, this is the tcon with the kadak adapter attached

Dan

Attached Images

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2006, 5:41 PM   #3

Bill for what it's worth, I have heard that the oly 1.7 is a bit much for the focus sensor (I think that is what it's called) to handle in the kodak cameras, hence this is why kodak's tele lens is a 1.4

05_Silver_Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2006, 7:07 PM   #4

Bill,,i have the DX6490 and my wifes son has the DX7590,i have a ton (probably 600+) photos using the tcon17x,,,it works very well,and will work just as well on the z7590.i have yet to hear any complaints using this lense on any of the 10X Kodak cameras except one person..she had a faulty lense( ithappens)..keep in mind though that at 646mm at full optical zoom you will need a fast shutter speed or a tripod.i regularily handhold this lense for wildlife shots with no problems as long as the shutter speed is sufficient..

The only downfall with this much zoom on these cameras is that in lower light,like taking bird shots in the woods or anywhere that full sun isn`t helping,is that the shutter speeds will be low,unless you turn up the ISO.i usually have my ISO at 100-200 to get that shutterspeed up..of course focal lengths as high as that are easier on a dslr because you can go up to 1600-3200 ISO....without a lot of noise...ISO 400 on these small cameras is almost unusable at best...

Brian
brianhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2006, 7:52 PM   #5

Thanks all!

All of you have made very good points. I looked at the link to B&H, they want $92.00 for the lens + tx. Amazon has it for $90.00 no tx and free frt. It also sounds like I will have start using one of my tripods that have stayed in the closet together for over 5 years and I would hate to break up their friendship.

I have a Oly IS/L A-200 1.4x converter 49mm. Has anyone had any experience with this lens on a Kodak digital camera.?

BiLL

:|
Old Mar 16, 2006, 9:25 PM   #6

I suggest that you try tht one out before you buy a 1.7. The 1.4 may work out great and you not have to spend any cash
05_Silver_Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 12:01 AM   #7

You'll get some vignetting with the 49mm lens at lower zooms. Just a warning! And I have a couple of thousand shots with the TCON-17 and love it!As far as it being too much I think it is not enough! Would love to get a full 2x or better high quality lens some day to try out! Dan thanks for the reminder....POPpssssht Another Icehouse bites the dust!! LOL
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 7:03 AM   #8

This is a real head scratching decision!:angry:

Dawg~ when you say lower zoom do mean having you zoom set at less than maximum optical limit?:?

I want a longer lens but I hate the thought of having to take the tripod along. I don't want tobother my 2 Slik tripods or even my Sunpak monopod.

I gave up on 35mm because I did notlike to be pack mule.

One digital camera and a spare battery and some SD chips, lens cleaner fluid, tissues and Q-tips, total weight under 2 #'s is more my speed (no informities other than lazy).:crazy:

BiLL:|

Old Mar 17, 2006, 10:38 AM   #9

You guys with the OLY 1.7 - is it a teleconverter or a telephoto lens? That is, can it work at less than the 10X setting on the main lens? I know it is an add-on lens, but is it only useful at 10X? How far down on the zoom until you see vignetting? I have a 2X teleconverter for my old Kodak DC4800 and vignetting shows up at almost any setting below full zoom (3X). Didn't like it for that reason since it was up to 3X with the main lens and then only 6X with the add-on.

Steve W.
on30trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 10:42 AM   #10

Bill I shoot all the time with the TCON and no tripod. It works quite well most of the time. You can steady it the same way you would with a 35mm and a long lens. Not much difference really. With the 49mm lens on that camera when you go towards the wide angle you will get vignetting. The smaller the lens diameter the closer to full zoom the vignetting will show. At 49 mm it may even happen at full zoom. I don't know as I haven't tried a 49mm lens on my DX. I do know that many have reported some vignetting with 52mm lens and the 49mm size should just make it worse. You can use the 49mm lens but you would need to crop some photos to remove the black outline around the photo's outer edges! If you can get it, the TCON will work just fine! I have said in the past that if I could only have one lens or filter I'd want my TCON. It opened up a whole new world of photo's that I just would not have been able to get without it! Remember this is just one old man's opinion and like A holes everybody's got one!!! LOL

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote