Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 16, 2006, 8:24 AM   #1

Sorry, but I had to change the font color.... :sad:

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

I finally got my Sunpak external flash and Sunpak flash bracket and am now trying to understand how to work with it.
Already hooked it up and fired a few shots to test...

Can anyone tell me how to use this flash?? The different settings and so....

Need some help/tips/shooting tips/ the works.... ....
bedde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2006, 8:50 AM   #2

What a start to my day. I just finished answering your post (the other one) when you deleted it. LOL Hope the rest of my day is better.

here it is again.

I have the users manual to the sunpak 383. I find that many do not get this manual in the box when they buy the flash. Maybe this is a way the company uses to get us to talk to each other. lol

Would you like a copy.

I have it in pdf and jpg (4). They are about 700k each version. I can e-mail them to you (pdf or jpg or both) if you want them. I think I have your e-mail addy from the dp preview forum that you posted this question in too. (got it from your profile).

This little manual helped me a lot when I was learning to use my sunpak.

With a little cut & paste (with real scissors and tape) you can have a copy to carry in your camera bag.

Dave
cwodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2006, 9:55 AM   #3
Administrator

cwodave wrote:
Quote:
What a start to my day. I just finished answering your post (the other one) when you deleted it. LOL Hope the rest of my day is better.
Ooops... my fault Dave... Sorry about that. I saw the two duplicate posts and since there were no replies yet, I deleted one of them. I must have deleted the one you were typing a response to.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2006, 10:02 AM   #4

LMAO.

No problem. I figured I had a 50/50 chance. So I picked the one with the black font that was easier for me to read. lol

You did get my attention though. lol :blah:
Old Mar 16, 2006, 10:17 AM   #5

CWODAVE,

I got the manual with the flash, but I was looking for more practical tips on use, etc.

I'm trying to figure out what the manual tries to explain... :?:?

So maybe you or the other members can explain to me in simple terms the what's and how to's....

Old Mar 16, 2006, 11:06 AM   #6

bedde-

For starters, why not tell us what kind of photos you want to take using the Sunpak 383. You speak about a bracket, so I am assuming the you are mounting the flash adjacent to the camera, rather than remote from the camera.

There are a lot of us that can help but we just need so info from you.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2006, 11:11 AM   #7

Ok, Here's a little explaination I made for someone else. Maybe it will help.

I'm no expert. Just self taught using the trial and error method. lol And I read a lot of the forums (mostly Kodak and PSP) for ideas and help.

First, there is no info sent back and forth between the flash and the camera other than the camera telling it to flash. You have the intructions for the 383 sunpak.

The auto modes for this flash on let the flash adjust itself for the amount of light at a distance. The auto sensor on the front of the flash does this as it flashes.

The 3 auto modes are for use at 3 different distance ranges.

As you shift the auto/manual selector switch to either the green, yellow or red 'A' you will see on the F-stop scale the recomended F-stop setting for this auto mode.

The next scale down shows you the distance that the selected auto mode.

The ISO selector should be set at the speed you will be using. Changing this will change the F-stop setting recommended.

I have used mine with the camera in 'auto' mode and had good results. But I am usually in the "A" or "M" mode on the camera so that I can set the F-stop and/or the shutter speed to get the best results. Don't let taking the camera out of 'auto' scare you. It's not that hard to get used to. Go to Easyshare forum and read the 'tricks and tips' section. It'll help you a lot. Here's a link:

http://www.myfreebulletinboard.com/f...bd30903c432a8b

Before I get down to taking the real pics I take a few practice shots to get my setting correct. I'm glad it's digital and I'm not waisting film. lol

Then I just go and shoot. Realize that changing rooms or positons can afect you pic. A review check in the camera helps. I used to have problems in rooms with lots of windows where bright sunlight comes through. The flash has solved these problems for me. I don't get the washed out backgrounds and under-exposed subjects with the flash. At times I'll take the same pic on different settings so I can decide later which I like.

A little practice with the flash and you'll be an expert before you know it.

I also use Paint Shop Pro X to edit my pics on my PC. Usually there isn't too much edit needed.

I hope this helps.

Good luck

I hope this helps

Dave
Old Mar 16, 2006, 11:26 AM   #8

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
bedde-

For starters, why not tell us what kind of photos you want to take using the Sunpak 383. You speak about a bracket, so I am assuming the you are mounting the flash adjacent to the camera, rather than remote from the camera.

There are a lot of us that can help but we just need so info from you.

MT
MTClimber,

I forgot to mention that I use a DX6490.
The flashbracket I'm using is the Sunpak Basic grip.

[img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/BFUNGL%7E1.BNE/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/img][img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/BFUNGL%7E1.BNE/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/img]
The flash attaches to the bracket and the sync cable to a plug just under the foot of the flashmount.

My cousin will be turning 5, so I want to make some shots of her birthday; these will be outdoor shots. So I want to practice in advance.

That's why I was asking for some tips and simple explanations on how to set the flash up for shots, etc.

Hope this helps a little.

Old Mar 16, 2006, 11:41 AM   #9

CWODave,

I will certainly check out the info on the Easyshare forum.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 1:51 PM   #10

bedde-

I can see using your Sunpak 383 in indoor and low light situations, but your proposed use is an outdoor birthday party? Certainly, fill flash outdoors is a good use, but the 383 is a fairly powerful flash. You might have more light than your DX-6490 can really cope with. Bounce flash is a possibility, but with the birthday party environment offer you any areas to bounce off of?

Certainly, as CWO Dave mentioned, this kind of shooting situation calls for some test photo so see how the camera and the flash work together in that environment. Can you give us anymore information, other than this will be an outdoor birthday party for a five year old.

MT

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote