Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 18, 2006, 9:59 PM   #1

All I hear and see is the Olympus T Con 1.7x

Are there any Kodak purist out there using the 1.4x Kodak Aux. Lens?

Not all at once now :G

BiLL

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2006, 10:51 PM   #2

Bill I'm sure the Kodak is a good quality lens and will give good service. You might not even notice the difference between the TCON and the Schneider lens. I know the Kodak Schneider wide angle lens I bought is very high quality! I don't have the Kodak lens so I hope you'll forgive my intrusion in this thread.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 11:01 PM   #3

No problem Dawg!

Just tossing in as many hooks as I can to see what bites.

BiLL

:G
Old Mar 19, 2006, 4:37 AM   #4

I've posted this before, but is one of the only resources I have seen that includes the Kodak 1.4x tcon.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=17135477

It is a great review of the Oly 1.7x tcon vs. the Kodak 1.4x tcon on a Kodak P880 (my cam and thus my interest)
metapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 7:02 AM   #5

Thanks metapy!

Very interesting seties of images.

The soft images look like the results I had with my Kodak Tcon for my Dx7440. Still not sure if it was a faulty aux lens or the camera. I had been in contact with Kodak while camera was undewr warranty but was unable to e-mail images so I just put the aux lens in a deaw and continued to ejoy using the camera with grear satisfaction. I missed my Oly 2100uz and its 10x optical plus IS but the camera was under 3MP though I liked it. In Dec/2005 I treated myself to a Z7590, nice lrns though I missed the 7440's optical finder. I was always wide angle person (loved the snappy color due to not compressing hazw as a tele and the perspectives).

Having a 10x optical zoom that was practicly weightless and could be caried in your pocket compared to a 35mm slr with a motor drive and a 80 to 200 mm lens was like walking on water!

All this posting, Googling and reading so far has convinced me to buy the larger bottle of Tylenol.:?

My DX7440 is out of commision and the repar / refurb replacment from :ak47:Kodak $105.00/$199.00 + frt and tax seemed too excessive (border line ransom) so I bought a new Z730 with 5mp and 4x optical at Amazon for about $190.00, free frt and no tax from Amazon.

Perhaps I should put the T Con on hold and see how my 2x 37mm works on my Z730 and consider a wide angle lens (the wider the better in the 37mm size!

BiLL

:|
Old Mar 19, 2006, 7:37 AM   #6

Bill, you're driving us nuts:?overanalyzing everything. The internet is wonderful, we can research everything we want to know about, but you have to know when to quit!Otherwise you'll be running nekked thru central park while a big guy with a giant butterfly net chases after you. So heres my suggestion...buy the Kodak 1.4, buy the Oly 1.7. Take 3000 pictures with each lens attached. Post all 6000 pics for evryone to analyze. Pick ONE winner.Then sell the loser lens to someone who will be satisfied with 99.9 percent quality.
Ps...I like ya ,Bill, just having some fun

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 11:37 AM   #7

Dan you could just be right!

I always slice it, dice and bisect it and find a few more angles to look at it from before I make my feeble mind up.

Did the same thing when I was looking for the "right" Kodak digital for me.The oly TCON 1.7 weighs about 8 oz. The Kodak needs to have the camera set to aux lens.

Must check how many points I have on my Citi Bank credit card (I often get $50.. certicates for some stores (Best Buy, Staples etc. and I think Discover earns discounts at Amazon I think). I never touch dirty cash just charge it and pay it all right away.

A little voice behind the ball of wax in my head says 10x optical is plenty and having to carry a tripod is about as exciting as a full colostomy bag! I always like wide angle and the Kodak wide angle for my yet to arrive Z730 has a 33mm and a .6 37mm wide angle will make it a 19mm (does that sound correct) or just but a nice bubble pipe and sit in the park and curse the pidgeons.

BiLL :?G:?G:?G:?

On another forum a Z730 owner said that his and many others have optical viewers that are not level.

Old Mar 19, 2006, 2:21 PM   #8

Fer gosh sakes Bill, buy one er tha' other. I've never used the Kodak 1.4 and probably never will!! I'm still mad at them for not offering it when I first bought the DX6490. I may get over it in a few beers....uh I mean years but I doubt it. As for perfection ....It just ain't my style. One reason I rail against all the ( You have to do it this way and only this way kind of people). I do what suits me and sometimes it doesn't suit others. Tough shit! They aren't me and if one wants to show up at my house and physically demonstrate they are better than me then they can have at it. Till then I will say what I believe to be true from my redneck perspective! And here is todays uninformed piece of Redneck wisdom.....Fer gosh sakes Bill buy one er tha' other. You'll not notice a hill of beans of difference!! P.S. The wide angle is one of my fave's too! I just don't say when I've used one and no one knows the difference!! LOL Have a good Day Bill and fer gosh sakes buy one er tha' other!! LOL

Dawg!!
Attached Images

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 2:51 PM   #9

ya bill, fer gosh sakes!!

lol @ dawg
techgeek419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 3:24 PM   #10

all I want is one or the other, but which one????

BiLL

:homey: