Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:13 AM   #1

I know this has been asked a lot of times on here and other forums, but I would like some help on purchasing an external flash. As most of you know my main photo interest is Dirt Auto Racing. These events are held mostly at night and very low lighting on the track, and sometimes I have to stand myself pretty far from the action, so I need a pretty powerful flash. Would anyone like to recomend a couple of flash units that I could research to work with the P880. This is a night shot that I took a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for any replies.

Darrell

Attached Images

doitnthedirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:18 AM   #2

I took this last week and was standing a lot farther away. Most of the pictures were at this level or darker. Thanks Darrell
Attached Images

Old Mar 20, 2006, 8:59 AM   #3

Darrell if you are over 60 ft or so a flash is not going to help a whole lot. The Kodak P20 flash would be a good choice for the P880 as it is designed to talk or interface with the camera. Check it out on the Kodak web sight. Also Flashes such as the Df 200 Vivitar Slave flash could be used along with the P20 as they don't require a cord but are triggered by the camera flash itself. I could see you with a P20 and two DF200's shooting a race and causeing a wreck from the bright flash!!! LOLOL

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

http://kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.j...gory=EKN030484

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2006, 10:32 AM   #4

Darrell-

Using a single good slave flash, such as the Vivitar DF-200, along with the Kodak FL-20 on your P-880 wil give you light out to about 75 to 90 feet. I would have to try that outfit to be exactly sure of the distances, but they are right in that area.

If you look at the Tips and Tricks folder over on the Kodak Easy Sharers Forum, I did a ten page release of a chapter from my upcoming book about using slave flashes.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 6:22 PM   #5

Bump!!!
Old Mar 21, 2006, 8:40 PM   #6

Thanks folks for all the information. Now I'm going to ask a really dumb question. Is it possible to use two external flash units with the P880? Such as a bracket and one on the camera or a double flash bracket? Please dont laugh at me LOL.

Thanks Darrell
Old Mar 21, 2006, 8:50 PM   #7

darrell-

Yes, it can be done. However, it was BigDwag who suggested the 2 slave flashes, so he has to do the engineering.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 9:25 PM   #8

No engineering required. Two slave flashes can be mounted one on either side. Most flash mount brackets can be stacked with one on the right then mount one to that bracket below and position it on the left. When you trigger off the camera's flash the twin slave flashes see that flash and are triggered. No hookup to the camera is required!!the slaves use light sensitive switches to fire them.! Since the brackets can be stacked , you can still mount the whole arrangement to a tripod too! Or if you wish one slave can be mounted to a tripod a little distance away and still it will fire off when your camera's flash goes off!

Dawg
Old Mar 21, 2006, 10:43 PM   #9

Ok thanks guys. I get it about the slave flash but what about non slave flash as with p20 with the right hook up, is that possible?

Thanks Darrell
Old Mar 22, 2006, 12:21 AM   #10

Yes the camera should be able to fire it as well as the slave flashes! You see the PF20 flash uses the current from the camera as a trigger to fire itself and then that flash would trigger off the slave flash or flashes as the case may be. All of this happens so fast the camera doesn't know the difference. The slave flash doesn't need a hook up with the camera as it uses 4 AA batteries to power itself.

Dawg