Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 28, 2006, 7:15 PM   #1

Hey Everyone,

I just bought my 1st digital camera, Kodak EasyShare V550- thanks to everyone's advice. I got a really great 1 gb SD card also- Kingston super duper fast or something like that...

Anyways, as far as the video-
I took about 4 min of video of my husband playing guitar. I played it through the TV and it looked great. I read in the manual that the quality on the TV should be less good when compared to the quality on your computer. So- when I got home, I downloaded it to my computer and it isn't even watchable! I have watched video on my computer before, some music videos or whatnot and they were great, although I'm sure their camera shooting the video was superior. So I don't know much about manipulting the video/ video format/ editing or something that might make the video less choppy. I've heard my camera does MPEG format- don't even know what this means.

Someone please help me make my videos better!! The quality can't be this bad! I hope I don't end up playing all my videos through my TV!

THANKS!!!
rainums is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2006, 9:19 PM   #2

If the video looks fine on the TV but not so hot on the computer you are probably taking them OK. Make sure you are set for 640 X 480 in the camera.

If you aren't playing the movies in the Windows Media Player you should default your movies to open with that. Right click on one of the movies and select "Open With". Select "Choose Programs" and check the box to always use this program for this type of file. Select the Windows Media Player.

Select the box just to the left of the red X in the upper right to get the Media Player full size. You can go Alt + Enter while the movie is playing to go full screen.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 3:44 PM   #3

So I don't think I had it on 640 X 480.

What does this mean?

My computer has been acting funny and I need to redownload my windows media player- I'll try playing it on that

Is there anything else I can do to make it play better on my computer?

rainums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 6:47 PM   #4

It shouldnt matter what your computer resolution is (640x480). Mine is set at 1048 and plays fine with my v550 and other Kodaks.

Does your pc play other types of files like MPG? That is another format.
Playing video files on a computer can be troublesome at times with all the different video streaming technologies.

The problem may be that you do not have the proper "codecs" (video configuration files) or video playback software.

I would download either the latest Quicktime player from www.apple.com or get the alternative player which actually works much better.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm

that should hook you up. If it doesnt check to be sure you have sufficient memory in your pc, and if you video card is set up correctly. Doing that may require some additional technical expertise andinvestigation.
techgeek419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 8:05 PM   #5

No, the issue that slipe raised is this:

It is the fact that rainums should be sure that the V-550 is set for 640 X 480 images @ 30 fps.

Changing from that setting will surely create lesser quality video clips.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 8:16 PM   #6

sorry i misread the resolution part. Was thinkin you meant the video resolution onyour computer screen.

You said they were not playable on the computer at all?
That sounded like a PC issue.

If it is the camera, you should be able to get decent quality on both of the available resolutions on the CAMERA. If you don't on the camera, then maybe it is defective, or the memory card is bad (cant write fast enought).There isnt much to change in the camera settings.

techgeek419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 4:59 PM   #7

Greetings,

The video on the camera is a .mov file type and if you installed EasyShare, you should have installed the Quicktime program that comes with it. This is a universal format that can be used on any system regardless of platform, i.e. PC or Mac. If you do not have EasyShare installed, consider it as it adds a lot of functionality to your system. If you do but do not have Quicktime, simply reinstall it, or download it from the Quicktime site.

Also, since the movie feature is pretty good on your camera 30 FPS (frames per second) at 640x480 resolution, it works best on a fast computer though it should work on an earlier system, but maybe not as well. What are the attributes of your system.

Consider this information and give your system another try. I will be around.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote