Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Apr 1, 2006, 12:38 PM   #1

Friends have a V550 and have it hooked up with the cradle and Easyshare. They want to be able to put images back on the card for developing.

How do I send an image to the card and not the album in the permanent memory? It seems all of the instructions I saw with a quick perusal of their manual was for the album.

Their EasyShare is set up to automatically make a folder, download the images into the folder and delete the images from the camera. This happens automatically when the download button on the cradle is pressed. Do I have to change that so the connection to the camera stays open? How do I change it if that is necessary for an open connection for uploading the photos back to the camera?

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2006, 2:09 PM   #2

Slipe-

The easiest way to do that is to use a regular chip/card reader. Then save to the newly formatted chip/card itself. Keep in mind that because you are dealing with .jpg images, you will take off more than you can re-save to the chip/card, if the chip/card was full.

The Easyshare Software and the Docking Station, as you might expect are all purposely cued to using the Easy Share Software, the Docking Station, and the Docking StationPrinter, that makes Kodak big bucks. Therefore, there is no really convenient way to do it in the Kodak System.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 4:40 PM   #3

Thanks MT.

I know people don't install EasyShare and just use the camera as a drive, but I don't know whether it works that way with the cradle. I did find that by removing EasyShare from the msconfig startup the button on the cradle doesn't start the software. Maybe I can experiment with connecting without the software active.

Last year they had some film developed and put on a CD. It was a Kodak CD and came with EasyShare. When we installed it their computer slowed to a crawl. I ran spyware and virus scans, cleaned out temp files and all the regular stuff and the computer was still slow. I finally moved all the photos to a folder and uninstalled EasyShare. Their computer went back to normal. They are having the same computer problems with the EasyShare they got with the V550, so I set them up to just start EasyShare when they wanted to download rather than have it start at boot. I would like to find a way to work with what they have, but I guess the card reader wouldn't be that pricey.

I wouldn't look forward to weaning the wife of EasyShare, so I would probably just have them use the card reader for uploads back to the card.

Old Apr 3, 2006, 5:04 PM   #4

Greetings Slipe,

Glad to help and review.

Not sure how your friends have configured EasyShare, but with the latest version of the program, you can allow for immediate transfer or the images to your system, and later upload to the Gallery (this will automate based on your chosen preferences). This means that your images will reside in both places. If you so choose, you can then have the card cleared and prepared for your next picture taking event.

Or, if you do not want to remove the images, you can turn that feature off. You can also change the transfer location on your computer if you like. You can rename the area to hold your images, and more. How you set up EasyShare is up to you at the time it is installed. Kodak wants you to enjoy your pictures so these options allow you to make the most of the program and are completely up to you.

You can connect via a cable, or by using the dock. It is not really possible to return images to the camera as Kodak cameras use PTP as opposed to earlier UBMass protocols. You can mount the camera as a drive if you are not using XP as an OS. But the easiest way to get pictures back on a card is via a card reader. When you insert a card with returned pictures into the camera it will see them and display them.

You can, of course, move images to the camera favorites but that sends them to the internal memory as they are for viewing in the camera only and so are smaller in size and not best for printing.

Please Note: when you use the Express Upload feature in EasyShare and your images sent to the Gallery, you can have them printed and sent directly to your house ($.15 a print and options to get that down to $.10). You can also send as a slide show to your friends. If you do not want to use the Gallery, you have other online choices that you can make for online printing. Check it out. This feature is easier than transferring back to your computer so you can take them some where to get the same thing.

Talk to you later,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 8:32 PM   #5

Thanks Ron.

That setup isn't my cup of tea at all. I prefer to have the camera show as a drive and be able to manipulate everything within Windows. It is convenient for my friends though.

I passed your suggestion along that they just use the Kodak online service and forget about the card reader. The card reader might not be an option anyway if they don't have a free USB port. I don't like hubs and I'm not sure there is an extra PCI slot for a USB card.

I'll have to stop by soon and set them up with an online album to see how they like that.

Old Apr 7, 2006, 4:40 PM   #6

Hi Slipe,

If you like the Mounted drive option, you can do that by removing EasyShare completely from your system and only installing the Camera Connection Software as a stand-alone application.

Devices will not display in the My Computer window or Windows Explorer when the KODAK EASYSHARE Software is installed.

To use the Kodak camera connection software as a stand-alone application, do:

1. Right-click the EasyShare icon in the system tray.
2. Select Shut Down EASYSHARE Software.
3. Uninstall the EASYSHARE Software.
4. Select Custom Install to install only the Kodak camera connection software.

Once installed you will see your camera as a drive. If you have trouble, be sure the drive letter that the camera is trying to use is not taken by another device or drive on a network.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:36 PM   #7

Hi Ron:

I'm guessing you changed your mind and you can upload photos back to the card as long as you don't have EasyShare installed. I'll see how they like the album setup first before fooling with that.

It is nice to know you can make it a normal camera by not loading the software though.

Old Apr 10, 2006, 9:03 AM   #8

Hi Slipe,

Just expanding on the first reply. You are still better off with the software installed as it adds a lot of options and features to the camera - it is a system. My goal is to help you with your application of the camera and software options and this is one of theways you can use it. It works well.

Talk to you soon.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company