Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Apr 6, 2006, 5:01 PM   #1

I want to buy a big SD card (2-4 GB range).

What's the largest card the dx6490 can use?

Kodak FAQs says:

Any Kodak EasyShare digital camera that accepts a SD or MMC memory card can use any size card (such as 8 MB through 512 MB).

wetsnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2006, 6:09 PM   #2

I've heard others say 1GB has worked fine, don't know anyone who's tried anything larger. Personally I'd rather use a couple cards rather than risk losing 2 or 3 gb if a card went bad, got stolen, lost

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 8:29 PM   #3

With my 512 mb card I can get nearly 500 photos on it! I don't think I'll be going any larger for the reason Dan stated. I just keep two extras handy. That's nearly 1500 photos and more work going through them than I like right now. Sum it up to say I know a 1 gig card will work but why would you????? OH maybe you do a lot of movies!! That would be the only reason I see to do it!!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 10:41 PM   #4

I use 128's and 256's

Very big chips take too long to down load.

As mentioned in a different thread, be sure to reformat your chips. If you just delete there will be fragments consuming chip space.

BiLL !

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:52 PM   #5

I think 256's are the Ideal size. Tyhe 512's take a while to download and work the photos!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 2:20 PM   #6

2GB. Though if you want to record movie you should now you can only use 1GB at a time. For example lets say you had 15 min of record time per 1GB(30 min total on a 2GB card) you can only record 15 minutescontinuouslyat at which time the camera will stop recording.

Kodak does not use fast processing in most of their camera. The P,DX, and Z series for example, so theres no need to get the fastest card for photo taking, but Kodak does recommend faster cardstosmooth out VGA(640x480)quality video.

I emailed Kodak this very question and also ask why I see no write improvement when I switch to a faster(SanDisk Ultra ll for example) card, the above was there response.
Thomasmeisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 2:44 PM   #7

Greetings,

I can appreciate your need - you can use a2 gig card without trouble, but Kodak did not test for cards larger than that at the time the camerawas created (not available). I have used a 2 gig card successfully. You can use a larger card but the firmware may not recognize all of the available memory. Won't hurt the card, but you won't be able to take advantage of the larger memory.

Kodak uses FAT for cameras up to your model (DX6490).Your camera will see and use a FAT formatted card, butit will also see a FAT32 format. Kodak cameras from that model forward will see both.

Also, though you can use a 4 gig card in the camera the camera will not see all the memory. Also, large cards like this are usually faster which Kodak cameras do not use, the transfer and data handling is the same for all the cameras. Newer cameras willhowever,take advantage of faster cards for enhanced video features.

If you buy a larger card, letme know how you make out.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 5:43 PM   #8

Oh Dawg, I dissagree Bigger is always better!!!!!

Thomasmeisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 7:56 PM   #9

thanks for all your posts

I am most likely going to use a 2gb, unless I see a great deal on 4gb.

I don't use my camera for video much (long videos anyway). I have a digital camcorder for that. I find memory cards extremely useful, not just for my camera. It serves other purposes for me.

Plus the prices are going down on the larger memory cards.
wetsnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:05 PM   #10

try

www.surpluscomputers.com

they have some good deals and often ship for free.

BiLL

bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote