Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Apr 6, 2006, 8:27 PM   #1

All of a sudden the mode dial on my DX6490 is really sticking. Does anyone else have that problem, and is there a solution other than "gently" forcing it?
FLSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2006, 8:40 PM   #2

Mine was sticking and I went to radio shack and bought some teflon lube in a hypodermic like applicator. One little shot solved the problem. I'm telling you this but will caution that anything you do you're on your own. I won't be held responsible for a damaged camera. But for me it worked really well. Do not use a petroleum based product on you camera, like WD40 or any other petroleum based oil. It can damage the plastic! You'll note in your owner's manual it warns about sun tan lotion or oil being bad. The same goes for any other type of petroleum based oil or lotion. Go here to look at the teflon (PTFE) lube I was talking about. As I said it worked for me but you are on your own if you decide to try it! And remember like the brylcreem commercial said -- A little dab will do ya'!! It only cost $2.99 and shipping if you want to order it but for me and I repeat For Me it was well worth it!

http://www.radioshack.com/search/ind...igkw=lubricant

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 8:47 PM   #3

Thanks much for the reply.

FLSal
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:01 PM   #4

You're very welcome. My 6490 from the very start had a hard to move mode dial! After about 6 mos. of use it got to where It was all I could do to turn it on. Now a slight push is all that is required. I applied mine around and the edge of the dial and then worked it on and off then went all the way one way then the other. I got almost immediate results with no more problems so far. I was afraid to put too much on for fear of covering the contacts under the dial and maybe making it where it would no longer function. But if this hadn't worked I was contemplating selling my beloved 6490 and buying something else. It worked and my partner in photographic crime is better than ever!! LOL
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:07 PM   #5

So glad that it worked for you. At this point I'm probably a bit of a green horn to think about trying this - but, hey - you never know. Frustration just might lead to it. And if I do, I'll definitely be extremely careful about not using much. Thanks again.

FLSal
Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:51 PM   #6

If someone were to try it they might consider removing their battery first. I know I did! LOL

Dawg
Old Apr 8, 2006, 9:16 AM   #7

I've used that TEFLON lube on all sorts of things. Including cameras.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 12:14 PM   #8

Oh yeah did I forget to mention that RJ gave me the heads up on that lube??? LOL Thanks again RJ...It worked beautifully. Until I lost my last tube of it , it had it's own place in my camera bag......Got to order some more!!

Dawg
Old Apr 8, 2006, 12:20 PM   #9

Speaking of DX6490's................the one I ordered has not gotten here yet. Maybe today. I got a new dock off of ebay for $21.50 to go with it.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 12:23 PM   #10

A printer Dock????

Dawg