Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Apr 18, 2006, 10:36 AM   #11

Bill,

If you haven't been then the Jamaica Wildlife Preserve (Cross Bay Blvd.) should be worth your time. And the old Mitchell Field and Fort Tilden. You may need a fishing license for Tilden. And there's a great area at the tip of the Rockaway Peninsula (past Breezy Point) if they still let you out there.

If this is old news, well, fuhgetaboudit. :-)

And, of course, you could liberate someone's boat to have a ball on Jamaica Bay.

domang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 12:21 PM   #12

Domang

Nice places, ben there one or two times but most of the birds were too far or on vacation. No car so I only go when I they have a ranger led walk of interest to me and girl friend with car.

Marine Park Saltmarsh nature center is about 7 blocks away and soon the herons and egrets will be back. Been seeing gulls, buffle heads and some cormarants on the water so far.

The Litoral Society (a conservation group) now and then has a narrated cruise on a fishing boat out of Sheapshead bay that is very interesting.

The Audubon society has renovated the greecian boat house in Prospect park and has birding walks and a birding boat ride on the lake in a big electric boat that looks a bit like the African Queen . I am not too wild about going to Prospect park though plenty of people do go there.

Where are you ? or Where in Brooklyn were you?

BiLL

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 1:08 PM   #13

bill2468 wrote:
Quote:
Where are you ? or Where in Brooklyn were you?

BiLL

Brooklyn? Perish the thought. :-)

I've lived in Far Rockaway, Ozone Park and Howard Beach. Now I'm pickin' my toes in Poughkeepsie - or thereabout.

domang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 5:31 PM   #14

Domang

Girl friend and I have gone away to Poughkeepsie many times. We would stay at Holiday Inn or Marriott (just on the other side of Rt. 9 next door to the Samuel Morse estate), they had a great breakfast included package.

This was prior to becoming interested in birding.

Some great birding locations should be The Vanderbuilt mansion grounds,The Mary Carey Flager Center, Inness Gardens (the Rockerfeller place), the FDR home and Eleanore Rosevelts, Valhalah and the grounds of the C.I.A. (CULLINARY INSTITUTE OF AMERICA), we ate at all of their major dinning halls.

We wereup there when they were building and finished that 1950's retro style giant dinner next to the FDR movie house on Rt. 9 in Hyde Park. Great place, the kind of place "The Fonze" would like.

BiLL

bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote