Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Apr 15, 2003, 7:53 AM   #1

Default Kodak DX4330 and the Moon question

Hi all,

Probably a dumb quesiton but I'd like to know how I can take pictures of the moon with my Kodak DX4330 3.1mp. I hope it is possible maybe with a filter of some sort? I'm a newbie when it comes to Dig Cameras.

If I try take pictures of the moon right now that come up as a big blur -- See below:

Thanks very much!

Cheers,

Jon

EDIT -- I tried another shot with extending the exposure for 4 seconds, here's what I got: (i cut a bit out)

ANOTHER EDIT -- Well, I guess I need a more professional dig camera if I want to take pics of the moon & stars. Oh well! Your feedback is welcome though
mistajon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2003, 9:07 PM   #2

dont see your pics

For night shot I would try the longest exposure the camera has. Try and experiment with long exposures and different iso values. I don't know too much about film cameras but I believe some guys keep the shutter open for minutes when taking picutres of stars or the moon.
kschewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2003, 8:09 PM   #3

I saw the moon tonight and couldn't resist experimenting a bit with my own DX4330. I don't see your picture above but I am assuming it was a full moon which is probably too bright for the camera to handle properly.

Take a look at this picture (reduced in size):

This was taken using the "Landscape" mode which forces the focus to infinity and with the flash off. This was also using the digital zoom to the maximum 10X and with no changes to default settings. A steady hold is required, though.

Another one:

This one was also taken using Landscape mode with the flash off but the exposure was forced to 2 seconds and I used the self timer to avoid moving the camera while pressing the shutter.

Notice that the dark portion of the Moon is noticeable in this picture. I think this little camera will be able to take some good pictures of the upcoming total eclipse of the Moon about a week from now.

If you are getting blurred pictures of the Moon, try a tripod and Landscape mode with the flash off. The digital zoom to the max also helps.

There is one more thing noticeable in both pictures. Ever since I got this camera I notice a blue or purple glare around bright objects. Why does this happen?

About taking pictures of the stars, I don't think a digital camera (unless it is a super duper expensive profesisonal camera) can do that without using a telescopic lens of some sort.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2003, 10:52 PM   #4

I will try and take a few pics of the moon this weekend. I think it is best to try all settings till you find which one works the best, different shutter speeds etc. I haven't seen many pictures of the moon with digital cameras. As you know dig cams have trouble with low light.
Old May 6, 2003, 11:00 PM   #5

check out pbase.com for moon pics there are some good examples there and i believe it will help
Old May 6, 2003, 11:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschewe
As you know dig cams have trouble with low light.
This is something that can be exploited to get awesome pictures too.
Old May 7, 2003, 1:43 AM   #7

Here are my moon pics with the Kodak DX4330:

http://forums.wherestheanykey.com/viewtopic.php?p=24#24
Old May 7, 2003, 12:40 PM   #8

I got to see your pictures now. I noticed two things. In both pictures there is a cloud layer between you and the moon. Also, one of the pictures is blurred due to camera movement.
Old May 7, 2003, 5:17 PM   #9

try taking the picture again. try for a darker location and a clear night. try your different settings with the use of the timer. if you are using any settings slower than 1/8sec u need to be on a tripod with a remote or place it somewhere with just the timer. I've taken some nice pictures with my cam with long exposures and the use of the timer
Old May 10, 2003, 5:29 AM   #10

Another try at the moon with landscape mode, no flash and no over exposure.. here ... http://forums.wherestheanykey.com/viewtopic.php?p=28#28