No. 2
Attached Images

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 12:57 AM   #32

No. 3
Attached Images

Old May 2, 2006, 3:14 PM   #33

Thanks a lot, your suggestions have really helped. These forums are great; nice helpful people.

Waden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 3:27 PM   #34

I do not seem to be able toget the close up shots like you did with that olympus than I get with my kodak tele. lens. Is it because your lens has a greater magnification?
Waden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 10:16 PM   #35

Your camera has more magnification than mine. The TCON 17 has more magnification than the Kodak lens. Your set up --- 12 x 1.4 = 16.8. My set up --- 10 x 1.7 = 17.0. as you see the two set ups are almost identical and should give almost the same results. My DX 6490 doesn't have an auxilliary lens setting so I don't use one. Most of my shots are in Auto mode and no special setup is used other than the tripod. My DX6490 is a 4 megapixel camera and yours is a 5+ megapixel camera so you'd think you would get the better photos. I believe that you have a 5X digital zoom and I only have a 3X digizoom so you should be able to reach out further than me even if the quality does go down using the digi-zoom. In fact most of the time now I turn the digi-zoom off and crop my photos in Photofiltre if I need to zoom even closer than the optical zoom and TCON-17 will let me. I do set my focus to a center focus and a center exposure most of the time when I'm using the TCON, and I quite often use the sharpest setting too. But when everything is at the default settings I still get good photos. I don't even bother braketing my shots with the exposure compensation because it's so easy to do that in post processing! If I'm not in auto mode I'll probably set up in P mode as it allows me to change the ISO and a few other things.

Dawg
Old May 3, 2006, 5:02 PM   #36

I own a P850 and a higher end camera (Olympus E1) and I think it is not worth purchasing lens attachments.

The long zoom is already as long as anybody would need. IMHO. You need a tripod in order to use the existing zoom.

My gripe with this camera is the lack of wide angle ability, so I would opt for the wide angle adapter if I bought anything.

However, please remember that each time you turn the camera off and on you have to remove the lens attachment. I just can't imagine this is worth while. But everybody has their own inertial threshold....

olympian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 6:29 PM   #37

Quote:
The long zoom is already as long as anybody would need. IMHO. You need a tripod in order to use the existing zoom.

That's what I tough when I bought my dx6490 (10x zoom) but when I started to take wildlife pictures I bought the tcon17 and it made all the difference:-)

I'll never have enough zoom:blahBigDawg is also a big zoom fan:G)

Boily

Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 8:59 PM   #38

I own a P850 and a higher end camera (Olympus E1) and I think it is not worth purchasing lens attachments.

I think it's well worth the added zoom, and I use it.

Yes you may need a tripod,just as you would need a tripod when shooting with a HIGH END SLR film camera. Give me MORE zoom.

My gripe with this camera is the lack of wide angle ability, so I would opt for the wide angle adapter if I bought anything.

When I bought the P850 I read the specs and knew it was not a wide angle camera. Yes you can buy the KODAK W-CON to help in that dept.

However, please remember that each time you turn the camera off and on you have to remove the lens attachment. I just can't imagine this is worth while. But everybody has their own inertial threshold....

However please remember that with the P850, DX6490, DX7590, Z7590, and so on.You DO NOT have to remove the lens adaptor or the lens when you turn the camera off,or on.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 11:26 PM   #39

This is such great information! Thank all of you for your input. I use a tripod even with the 12X zoom because I have a shake, so using the tripod with the additional zoom is not a problem -- totally expected.

Thanks for clearing up the comment about having to remove the additional lens when turning on and off. When I read that I really started sweating it because you know how the camera turns itself off if you haven't used it in a certain amount of time.

My lens arrived this week and I will begin trying them out over the weekend. Can't wait to let all of you know how it goes!

Pepperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 10:35 AM   #40

I'm still trying to figure why you'd need to remove the lens and extension tube when you turn it off! New one on me. I've l;eft my TCON and adapter on the DX6490 for weeks on end and I usually shoot 30 - 40 shots a day every day!I also shoot a LOT of photos with the TCON- 17 and DON't use a tripod. I've even gone full digital and gotten great shots without the tripod. I think a tripod helps but it IS NOT a complete necessity! I'm sure Olympian thought he or she had it right and was not trying to sew discontent or wrong info. But you in my opinion and through my experience were wrong on all accounts. Now don't get angry here, just read and understand. Too often we speak from our own perspective and our own preferences. I wish for even more zoom sometimes so the statement that the P850 has more zoom than anyone would want or need is just not so. It may already have all YOU want or need but for me it only has about half of what I would want or need. I'd like a 15x or 20x lens myself and then keep a smaller camera such as the P880 or DX7440 for a wide angle backup! But even at 15x or 20x I'd still find times I'd use a teleconvertor anyway! Why in all creation would you think I'd be goin' around and adding and removeing a lens everytime I turn the camera on or off. Last time it was checked my IQ was 160+ not 1. Being a poor Redneck from Alabama I inherited commonsense as well from my parents. With out it we couldn't have anything. Because we are always making do with what we have, we learn to use common sense approaches to most things in life. Like I said you were speaking from your perspective and preference. Not mine and certainly not a large part of the posters here. Pepperson I expect to see some of those photos soon Ya' Heah!! LOL All of you have a nice day and post some photos. I know that's why I'm here!

Da Dawg