Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 1, 2006, 9:40 PM   #1

I need some advice. I'm going whale watching in CA next week and it will be around noon, so it will be pretty bright out. Because timing is so important, what would you suggest I use for settings on the P850? Should I try one of the SCeNe modes or leave it in auto? There's no telling when a whale might surface, if we even see any, so I need to do this quickly!!!
Thanks!
Gina
gina4xoxoxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2006, 10:27 PM   #2

If you are on a boat a fast shutter speed is a most (boats rock).

You may want to turn off the in view finder preview after shot is taken so you can get those additional shots before the whale submerges.

BiLL

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 10:39 PM   #3

Maybe I should set it for sports mode? Do you think? I think if I set it for shutter priority, by the time I meter and pick up a reading and set it, the whale will be back down in the water a good 200 feet....LOL
I'm assuming the sports mode will meter the ISO and doesn't have it preset, although, again, I'm assuming. Does anyone know? I would think this is what holding down halfway is for?
Oh, I'm so confused with all this! What about burst mode?

Am I correct in thinking that aperture priority is more for still objects, zooming in, portraits, etc., and shutter priority is more for action and low lights situations? The thing that confuses me is if shutter priority is for action, that means you would have to take the shot quickly. Well, if you have to hold down halfway for the camera to recommend a setting and then you have to turn the dial on the P850 to get it at that setting that the action will be long gone! This is what confuses me about these manual modes..... if you have to play around with the settings after the camera meters what it thinks it should be and recommends the speed, how do you get the action shot then? Wouldn't you be wasting time looking at what it recommends and then turning the dial thing to make sure the aperture is also a "go," a green light/number, or does it do this all automatically for you?
I'M SO CONFUSED! HELP!

Same thing with auto focus/auto exposure..... if you set it ahead of time to focus on the water, do you think that's a good idea since there isn't much contrast on the water for it to focus on? Would I use the AE lock then?

Thanks for any help!
Gina
gina4xoxoxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 11:04 PM   #4

"S" Shutter priority lets you keep a shutter speed of your choice and the camera will select the proper f stop. Also a iso of 200 will help.

A small aperture will give you more depth of field and a slower shutter speed of little use on a whale watch.

Aperture priority is for selective focus (degree of depth of field)

Sport mode is to freeze action but you do not know where the action is till you see the whale and decide which way it is swiming or diving.

Whales do not swim as fast a race cars drives but a fast shutter speed maymake upfor you and the boat bobbing on the water and the top of the whale being cut off.

When a boat is on the water and the engines are off and it is just floating on the waves or ripples you should remember "when the fron or rear of the boat rises the other end goes in the opposite direction" so stay in the middle for the least up and down action which does nothing for your pictures or stomach.

BiLL

:|

bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 2:09 PM   #5

Hi Gina...I don't know about P850, but heres what I would do with my dx7590....use Manual mode, set shutter as fast as will work I would try for 1/1000 ( or at the least 1/500), definitley use burst. When you get on the boat you should have some time to figure out the f-stop, iso, exp comp that will work with the fastest shutter, conditions should'nt change too much after that. Take a few shots with exp bracketing and see what works best. And remember ( if it has to be one or the other)its better to be underexposed than over, you can always brighten it up after( what gets blown out can't be fixed)
Like Bill said, middle of boat is steadier and hopefully drier too:-)

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote