Attached Images

bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 9:03 AM   #3

BiLL

:|

Attached Images

Old May 7, 2006, 9:49 AM   #4

Like gators I guess. Seen any parrots in the sewers Bill?

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 6:27 AM   #5

Nice pics, Bill. Do you know if those parrots migrate? Do they last the winter in NYC?

domang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 6:33 AM   #6

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Like gators I guess. Seen any parrots in the sewers Bill?

Dawg

Crabs, eels, clams and lobsters. NYC is much a water town. As recently noted by Mayor Bloomberg, people have lost their attachment to the waters (become oblivious to them) but those waters are all around.

I grew up (questionable), in Queens with Jamaica Bay but a block or two from me in three directions and the ocean about a mile and a half away.

domang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 9:47 AM   #7

The birds are here all year round. Google Brooklyn Parrots to see a lot of pictures of them on the sand and snow, this is the sight that runs the walking tou my girl friend and I went on.

BiLL

Old May 9, 2006, 1:15 PM   #8

Biil, and others, marine park you'll see these babies fly by. Kings Plaa diner you'll see them on a tansformer pole, you'll even cat them on a bird feeder in my backyard, but let me tel you, I thought they were called " SUNSHINE PAROTTS"

you di not want them living in the trees by you . if you get one,two,three its fine but if you get a few dozen to 100 oh boy time to call 311 and ge the nest out. they'll keep you up all the time

I love the birds , If i am right o wrong a bird or two escaped from a store , and low and behold .

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 1:49 PM   #9

I go for a walk every Sat. & Sun. at Marine Park and pass the dinner that was once featured in a local paper as a major bird condo. They had a medium size nest on the telephone/transformer accross the stree from me but the phone company put a new transformer that they don't care for.

Thw walking "parrot safari" is free and interesting ( Brooklyn college has some nice tulips and irises growing there too.

I had a Sony Walkman (just am/fm) with a monocular built in on the side tghat was great to see where the bus was and to spot hawksplaying the currents as I waited for the light to change on Ave. U and Flarbush Ave. (people could never realize what I was looking up for as I waited for the light to change. If one asked and I said I was watching/looking for hawks they would look at me likie I had lost my last marble.

BiLL

Old May 9, 2006, 2:10 PM   #10

Quakers are illegal to import in many states. They evidently have a communal nesting strategy that allows them to survive northern winters. They are called monk parakeets by birdwatchers. Other names are Quaker parrot, Quaker parakeet, Quaker conure, gray breasted parakeet, gray headed parakeet, cliff parakeet (M. M. luchsi), catorra or cotorra (M. m. cotorra), conure veuve, papo branco, matto grosso, and perquito do pantanal. The last bunch are their South American names. I've never heard them referred to as sunshine parrots or parakeets.

They make good pets if you get them young. I've know several people that had them and all but one rolled on their backs to have their tummies petted. The other one was extremely aggressive in protecting his cage but was OK if you could get him away from it.

We have gobs of them in Florida. We also have some larger conures that are much noisier than the Quakers. They stopped coming around when I started feeding some of the sea birds. My heron hangs around most of the time and the smaller birds are afraid of him. One of my neighbors was happy to see them go as the noise bothered him and they pooped on his deck.

This was taken before Bubba drove them off. The conures and quakers seemed to get along but the conures dominated the food.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote