Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 15, 2006, 2:49 PM   #1

I am a complete noob to this forum. I found it looking for info on the P850 I just purchased from Costco. Which BTW Costco currently has the 850 on sale for $225 with a nice carrying case and the easyshare camera dock.

My question is about the P-A-S-M settings. I am a little confused as to what these modes are and what would be a good example of when to use each one of them. The manual leaves a little to be desired for a complete noob like me. Any help is greatly appreciated.
madmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2006, 3:06 PM   #2

I would suggest you first peruse the back posts regarding the P850 on this forum and by the time you're done, you will have a lot of your questions answered for you. But, as a starting point, most P850 users like to keep their camera set on the P setting for general picture taking because it performs all of the automatic functions of AUTO, but gives you more control over exposure settings. It also will stay in Fine JPG file size setting and not revert back to Normal when you turn off the camera. So P is a good place to start. Take a bunch 'o pictures and post some here and forum members will be happy to offer constructive feedback.
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 8:27 PM   #3

FaciaBrut gave a good explanation of the P mode. The A mode lets you set the Arperture setting but the camera will set the shutter speed in accordance with the exposure reading along with the Arperture setting you use! The A mode of PASM then is Arperture priority mode. At the lowest setting you let a lot of light in to the sensor because the arperture or the hole letting light into the camera and hitting the sensor is at it's largest. As you go up on the F-Stop setting or arperture setting you will be letting less light in. At the lowest F-stop or Arperture setting you willchange the DOF or Depth Of Field so that the background will blur out of focus.The highest f-stop or arperture setting will let the background detail show up in the photo!Lets say you're taking a photo of a flower close up. You can set the camera to Macro and A mode! Then by setting the arperture to the lowest F-stop you will let the blossom of the flower appear sharp but the background and leaves at a distance behind it will blur out of focus. This allows you to see the flowers blossom without the other things behind it detracting from its beauty! I hope this helps with the A mode. I'll get into S&M when I get home!! LOL No I'm not kinky!!! LOL Till then M is for manual mode and S is for Shutter priority Mode!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 12:42 AM   #4

Shutter priority mode or the S in PASM, allows you to adjust the shutter speed and the camera will set the arperture or f-stop for you according to the exposure information the camera and the shutter speed setting you choose telles it to!! This is helpful if you are shooting moving objects or shooting in low light situations as you can slow the shutter speed down to make up for the lack of available light or on the other end it will help to stop the motion or movement of the subject of your photo by going to a higher speed shutter setting. Since you don't have to set the arperture it helps take some of the thinking out of the photo process. The camera will set the f-stop for you allowing you to concentrate on getting the right shutter setting for the action or the low light! Both A mode and S mode are sort of half auto mode. You can choose one setting and the camera will automatically set the other! M mode in the PASM settings is manual mode!! Here you can choose the F-stop you want and the shutter speed you want! I use this setting a lot for very low light shots and night time photo's. Sadly Kodak decided that a 16 second exposure was all we needed. I miss a lot of photos because I can't set the exposure time for longer than 16 seconds!! When you use any of the pasm modes you will get a different menu than when in auto mode! You'll be able to set the ISO to different settings and the white balance to name a couple! You should really try them all out and just play around with the different settings to get used to just what they do and can do for a photo! I can tell you about them from now till the next century but you need to experiewnce them for yourself and see what they will do! Above all enjoy the experience and don't take it too seriously as the object is to have fun! I hope this helped you a little. Don't be afraid to ask questions as the only silly question is the one you should have asked but didn't. We've all been there and if any help is received from us then in the future help someone else as that is the only payment or reward we ask for!! Have a good time and enjoy......

Dawg
Old May 22, 2006, 3:26 PM   #5

Hi Guys,

I am a total newbie myself also. I have been using point and shoot camera for last few years but always feel like I want more control of how the picture is taking. Then I saw the deal for the P850 from costco as well, and jumped on it as well. So now I am expecting the camera to arrived today. Hehehe... can't wait to get my hands on this baby.

Past two weeks, I have been reading reviews, comments and forum discussions from steve's, dpreview, dcresource, etc. I sort of get the idea of how p850 works and what feature there is, but what digdawg summaries about the PASM really brings my understand to the next level. I will definitely try out those tips after taking the final for my class this wednesday... >__< Gotta study hard for now....

LK
SFcameraguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 9:36 PM   #6

I hope you ace the finals!! I also am glad if any of my explanations have helped!

Dawg
Old May 23, 2006, 12:51 AM   #7

To get your fastest shutter speed for action you use "A" or aperture priority and set it at the largest aperture (lowest number). That gives the fastest shutter speed the camera is capable of for a given lighting and zoom. "A" set at the largest aperture also gives the most background blurring for portraits. "A" mode can give you finer increments of shutter speed than are available in "S" mode, so you often get a faster speed. And you can easily get a dark picture by setting a shutter speed to fast for the available light and maximum aperture available at a given zoom.

But the camera has portrait and action modes in the bestshot modes that do the same thing. Other than long shutter night shots in full "M" there isn't anything you can't do just as well with the bestshot modes. I prefer going to "A" mode and setting my own aperture for action and portraits, but that is more habit than necessity.

You can handle most lighting situations in P mode with EV shift and/or spot metering. You can avoid blown highlights if you learn to combine the histogram with EV shift.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 2:24 PM   #8

Another new person to this forum and soon to be new to the camera.
:-)
This thread and others like it are a great help. Thanks to everyone who posted.
BTW all i've ever had in the way of a camera is those £5 things that you use once and then have to buy another. I've also used my mobile phone to take snaps, but can't wait to get my hands on something as good as the P850.
12noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 9:22 PM   #9

Hope to see your posts soon!

Dawg