Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 20, 2006, 12:42 AM   #1

Well I've had my P880 since january and a couple lens filters for it, but so far I haven't really taken too many pics with it yet (I'd say around 1000 so far), most of them haven't come out how I wanted, I'd say as far as kodaks go this has a steep learning curve (I'm comparing it to my former DX6490 and store models i've tried). Not to say it's difficult, I've dealt with pissant canons that gave me total heck by comparison! I haven't been going out much for the purpose of taking pictures, hopefully as the summer progresses a road trip will be in order

Anywho, here's a few selected favorites from the past couple months...

I think lightning pics are so awesome, and I realized after this storm how freaking HARD it is to get good pics! Those of you who don't know, the P880 doesn't have the best response time when taking pics, but a new firmware update from kodak is supposed to have fixed this.
Attached Images

wizbummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2006, 12:46 AM   #2

This one is from right in front of where I used to work. Even though it's reduced you might still be able to see the canadian geese in the distance
Attached Images

Old May 20, 2006, 12:49 AM   #3

A nice scenic overview outside of Charlottesville, VA on I-64. This isn't the whole vista, but I didn't really know how to use my circular polarizer properly and got some funky shading on the edges (is that vignetting?) of the sky w/ the other pics.
Attached Images

Old May 20, 2006, 12:56 AM   #4

I was so proud of this one because, up until this point, I couldn't get clear pics of the moon and it was pissing me off. Then I found a little thing called "exposure metering" and then I was happy again. Next, I will be getting a telephoto to really bring things out. I'm thinking olympus tcon 17 based on what I've been reading, but I'm curious about the raynox DCR-2020 and DCR-1540.. anyone have experience with these?

Quick note: It's still not coming out as clear as I'd like, anyone have any ideas?
ISO 50, center-spot metering, exposure something like 1/60, apeture was at f4 I think, and based on the LCD it looked to be in focus...
Attached Images

Old May 20, 2006, 1:04 AM   #5

I was trying to take more lightning pics, but the storm didn't provide any lightning. However, the clouds unexpectedly broke for a peek at the moon, and it lit them up pretty neat (to me at least).

Oh btw LCD screens SUCK to look at this pic! :X
Attached Images

Old May 20, 2006, 7:12 AM   #6

Hi Wiz,you got some nice shots there. As far as the moon goes, try a faster shutter like 1/125--1/250 in that range..the moon moves a lot faster than we realize.
I havent come up with a decent lightning pic yetyou did much better than my trys, maybe cause we just don't get a whole lot of it here..My next try will I use 16 second exp on tripod of course holding a black card in front of lens and moving it away as the lightning strikes
As for the cir. pol.,try holding the shutter button down halfway while turning the front part of the lens, you'll see the difference.

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 9:40 PM   #7

hey thanks for the tips, yaknow i never even thought of doing the 16-second with a black card thing, that's actually a great idea. I took that during a storm we had that had quite a bit of lightning, and I got several pics of the light produced by the lightning but by far that's the best one that actually shows it arching. I was using shorter exposures like 6 seconds and just hitting the shutter at the first sign of light. Where I live, storms often seem to split up and go north or south of me, but I'm hoping to get some good ones over the summer.
Old May 21, 2006, 9:46 AM   #8

I can't take credit for that idea, it was Coldsnail( or maybe BrianHare,,sorry I can't remember which) who told me that trick

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote