Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 23, 2006, 2:24 PM   #1

Hi all.

I have owned a Casio Exilim for 2 yrs now and when it broke i thought that instead of spending £250 on another midget camera i might opt for a more feature rich larger camera. I chose the P850 for a few reasons, its looks, its price, the zoom (and the IS) and above all the fact that i had a money off voucher for a Kodak product. But although i understand the basics and i'm starting to get to grips with the manual features slowly, there are a few things i don't understand so if anyone could help me out on the points below that would be fantastic!

- Can i use any 55mm telephoto or wide angle lenswith the camera as long as i have the Kodak Lens adapter (55mm? or does it have to be made for the camera?

- I know this has probly been covered before but should i keep a lens adapter with a filter on at all times to keep my camera lens safer?

- I understand that if i did the above then i would be using a UV filter. I also understand what a polairizing does but i am lost as to what a 'Skylight' filter does?

- Say i found old SLR (film version) lenses that were 55mm threaded, would i be able to put these on my camera and bobs you uncle? or is there a difference between film SLR camera lensesand digi camera lenses?

- As i'm quite new to all this is it worth me getin a cheap set of lenses and filters with anadapter off ebay? i know they'll be a different thread size to the kodak 55mm but as i'm new will i really be able to tell the difference that a 52mm telephoto and a cheap polarizer compared to the more expensive 55mm versions of both?

Thanks....
LewisSpeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2006, 2:41 PM   #2

Quote:
- Can i use any 55mm telephoto or wide angle lenswith the camera as long as i have the Kodak Lens adapter (55mm? or does it have to be made for the camera?
Yes you can!! Most of us have the tcon17 from olympus(1,7x magnification) instead of the kodak tcon (1,4x magnification) You can also put a wide-angle!!

Quote:
- I know this has probly been covered before but should i keep a lens adapter with a filter on at all times to keep my camera lens safer?
Yes you should!! I bought the adapter before buying the p850:lol:When the camera arrived, the first thing I did is to put the adapter on with a UV filter!!
Quote:
- Say i found old SLR (film version) lenses that were 55mm threaded, would i be able to put these on my camera and bobs you uncle? or is there a difference between film SLR camera lensesand digi camera lenses?

I don't think you can put a SLR lens on some 55mm threads...Because the SLR's lenses don't have treads, its like a clipping system or something like that...

Attached Images

Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 2:46 PM   #3

Quote:
- As i'm quite new to all this is it worth me getin a cheap set of lenses and filters with anadapter off ebay? i know they'll be a different thread size to the kodak 55mm but as i'm new will i really be able to tell the difference that a 52mm telephoto and a cheap polarizer compared to the more expensive 55mm versions of both?
You should never buy cheap lenses!! If you buy a good camera, don't waste you pictures with cheap lenses
If you buy these cheap lenses, your pictures will probably be all blurry

Boily

Old May 23, 2006, 8:34 PM   #4

A skylight filter is a UV filter and it helps block out some objectionable Blue colors in certain situations. It's the one that stays on my camera all the time! Some old filters will work for you camera if they are threaded for the 55mm adapter. If you get the 52mm lens and filters you are narrowing down the field of view and will start getting vignetting problems at the wider angles! That's the dark edges and circles at the outer edges of the photo! Stay with good quality but not always very expensive filters. I use Tiffen brand screw on filters and have had very good results. If you have deeper pockets go B&W or Hoya brands! I also use the Cokin filter system that is made up of drop in filters and a filter holder. I can tell you more later about them if you wish to know! With the Tele lens and the wide angle lens stay with the high quality ones. Here you truly get what you pay for! For a Tele-converter lens go with the Olympus TCON-17 or the Kodak lens. But the Olympus is the most bang for the buck out there. The Kodak wide angle lens is abut the best on the market to me! I've seen a lot of folks buy cheap lenses on Ebay and then cry for a long time afterwards. Most of them were made for camcorders and not still cameras. They will reach out there but are very soft focused and do not give a good photo! Trust me here they are not worth the money!!!! Any more questions feel free to ask!!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 2:54 PM   #5

Quote:
I've seen a lot of folks buy cheap lenses on Ebay and then cry for a long time afterwards

:lol::lol:
Old May 24, 2006, 8:26 PM   #6

Thank you for your replies its a better response than i could of even hoped for. But one thing that has got me confused is that on ebay you can get different adapters and with them you can use 3x tele lenses, now although i have no intent of using these inferior lenses i must say that it seems strange that i can get a 3x zoom whatever quality, but am apparently limited to either the kodak X1.4 or olympus X1.7 witha 55mm thread, is itthat un popular (the 55mm thread), are there not longer zoom lenses available for this camera or am a sadly limited to the choice of two? (i am only intrested in decent quality lenses though)
Old May 25, 2006, 12:17 AM   #7

Naw...That's not it! The sensors on these digicams really and truly can't handle much over 1.5X additional zoom! After you get past a certain point the photoquality goes down! I've used the 1.7X Olympus TCON and gotten great results. There are some high qulity 2X converters for sale at places like bhphotovideo.com but the price goes up drastically with these lens! I've seen some cheap lenses in person and seen the results! Please don't go that way!! A close friend bought a special on a set of lenses from Ebay and they are if not quite garbage then they are at least dissappointing to use! Very soft edges and loads of chromatic abberration! Purple fringe doesn't start to describe it!!! Purple coated maybe!?? Can't get sharp photos with them!! The wide angle lens in the set was much better but still below the quality of the Schneider lens from Kodak! We shot his P850 and my DX6490 side by side and he left disgusted with his new lens and wondering if he could get his money back!! The camera makers think that these digicams are produced with enough zoom as is and don't plan on upping the zoom anytime soon! I read a post by Ron Baird from Kodak asking why someone would want more zoom! Because we sometimes need it and would like to have it Ron!!! That's why so many here on this forum and others buy the TCONS!! Kodak took a step forward with the 1.4X TCON and should be thanked for it! I just wish I could get a 2X for less than $150 in the near future or maybe Kodak would put out a 15X zoom camera with threads so I could attach the 1.7 TCON and get out ther where I've wanted to be from the start!

Dawg
Old May 25, 2006, 12:38 AM   #8

Go here and look at this lens! It will probanly take away almost all wide angle shots from 3/4 zoom on down but you can get a step up adapter to use with the 55mm Kodak adapter or a step down adapter to use with the Kodak 55mm adapter tube! That way you can use the standard Kodak adapter and keep the step up or step down adapter on the Teleconverter at all times! Then all you have to do is screw it on whenever you wish to use it! It's only 2.2 and it costs a bit more, but it should be high quality!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Here's the page for the step up ring to a 58mm size lens while using the 55mm Kodak adapter tube.

Here is the page to the 55mm to a 52mm step down ring!

The reason I give the step up and the step down is because the teleconverter lens can be purchased to fit several sizes! The smaller than 55mm lens would have more chance of vignetting. the larger than 55mm size would have less chance of vignetting. I think you should have all the choices to play with!

Dawg
Old May 25, 2006, 5:23 PM   #9

Hi all,

Thanks for your help its been great. I have decided on the Tcon-17 lens as it seems the wisest choice. Have to wait ages to afford it tho.

Thanks again

Lewis
Old May 25, 2006, 5:23 PM   #10

Hi all,

Thanks for your help its been great. I have decided on the Tcon-17 lens as it seems the wisest choice. Have to wait ages to afford it tho.

Thanks again

Lewis