Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 24, 2006, 4:09 PM   #1

So I finally decided the 5.8x zoom on my P880 just isn't enough, and I'm looking for a TCON to go with it. I've actually been researching them since before I got the camera lol, and I've got it narrowed down to 4 options:

Kodak schneider 1.4x

olympus tcon17

raynox DCR-1540

raynox DCR-2020

Here's my thoughts in detail:

The schneider will probably work wonderfully for my camera but I will have to get an adapter 52mm-55mm, which isn't really an issue but this is the lowest enlargement factor of all my options, would only give me a total of 8.12 total zoom. Also there is no front thread on it for filters etc. A tad pricey at $150 but I'm sure I can find it for less elsewhere.

I've seen the results from the olympus tcon17. It's a tried and true platform on most of the kodak cameras, and it's the least expensive of the group (I can find it for around $100). 1.7x means I'll have 9.86x total zoom. Mostly good things going for it. Will require an adapter still (same 55mm) and does not have front threads.

Raynox's lenses look great to me. the DCR-1540 is a high-definition lense, and of all the manufacturers they're the only one's I've seen that quantify this; 340line/mm for the 1540 and 260line/mm for the 2020. Both have front threads, 67mm for the 1540 and massive 82mm for the 2020. The 1540 is already a 52mm rear thread so it will mount right up to the camera, the 2020 will need a 52mm-62mm adapter. These are probably the most appealing to me, the 1540 for it's high resolution and the 2020 for it's high zoom, 2.2x giving me 12.76x total zoom but the thing looks freakin huge. The 1540 still offers better zoom than the schneider giving me 8.9x total, which I may be willing to accept for the high-resolution feature it provides. Both are on the pricey end of the scale, the 1540 is $130 and the 2020 is $190 (!!! I only paid $400 for the camera!), but my major issue is that I have not found any reviews on them when used with a kodak camera, on their site they are nice enough to provide comparison shots with many cameras and many manufacturers, but kodak is not mentioned!

If anyone has experience with the raynox lenses, even with the other ones (1850 etc.) please let me know and show me some comparison shots! I like the olympus tcon because of the price and magnification but I'm lead to believe the quality of these other lenses may be better, not saying the tcon is bad but Iwant the best resolution and clarity I can get.

Any experiences will be helpful. Let me know any issues you may have with them, clarity, contrast, weight, etc. No issue too small to be mentioned!

These are the only lenses that I found adequet information about, if you know of another type that's given you good results, let me know about that too.

Thanks for all your help guys!
wizbummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2006, 4:21 PM   #2

I suggest youthe kodak 1,4x because I know the tcon17make some vignetting at full zoom...

I don't know about the raynox telephotos....

Boily
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 5:53 PM   #3

I remember reading on another forum some folks weren't real happy with the oly tcon on the p880...Go here and do a search on p880 and tcon
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1011

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 8:37 PM   #4

Thanks for the link to that other forum, It pretty clearly shows the olympus tcon just isn't a good match for the 880 (in fact, the digital zoom pics look just as good if not better than the oly tcon!)

I learned something else that is quite important, which I would probably have figured out after reading my manual closer; the accessory lensesMUST be used with the adapter, because you use a different thread mount for accessories. The front thread is just for filters, and cannot (or at least should not) support the weight of an accessory lens. There's a removeable metal ring (has a thin silver line all around it) that unscrews to add the accessory lens. Of course this is a different size, I'm pretty sure it's 55mm.

Well that may rule out the DCR-1540, unless used at maximum zoom I'm sure it would cause vignetting. I'm curious if it would be possible to still use a filter mounted to the camera's lense because that would still fit inside the adapter tube and accesory lens. Not sure of this, or what kind of effect it would thus create, but I'd be interested to try it.
Old May 25, 2006, 1:49 AM   #5

The filter would work but if you go full wide angle with the P880 and have the adapter tube and a filter attached it will cause vignetting! Kodak produced the 1.4X Schneider with the P880 and the P850 in mind! Might be a very good choice for the P880, but the Olympus TCON-17 is still better for the P850 and most of the rest of the cameras who's adapter tubes are 55mm! Just an old Dawg's opinion! Oh, yeah my reason is more Zoom for the buck!

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 1:58 AM   #6

Well I've pretty much talked myself into getting a raynox DCR-1850 (yeah I know I didn't list it at the top :?), but it's a situation where I've gotta settle, can't get EVERYTHING I want to. It's still high-resolution (200-line/mm) and 1.85x, not as much zoom as I'd like but it's quite a bit more than the schneider and costs about 2/3 what the DCR-2020 does (and it's ALOT smaller too!).

Now I just gotta save and set aside some money for it! Thanks for everyone's help!
Old May 26, 2006, 9:35 PM   #7

It's not a bad decision you made! I had to think long and hard about which teleconverter I would finally buy! I opted for the Oly TCON- 17 because for the money it was the best out there! If I'd had more bucks I'd probably have gotten the DCR-2020 Pro even though it looks pretty long! It just costs so much for what it does!!! Money ruled and I've been happy with my decision ever since! Let us know how the Raynox lens works after you get it!! It might be something to recomend to other P880 owners. I noticed Kodak doesn't recomend the Schneider 1.4X for the P880. Your experience with the Raynox may give some insight as to why they did that! Anyway, Congradulatrions on the choice and keep us informed, Please!!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote