Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jun 4, 2006, 11:20 AM   #1

HiI*just purchased my Kodak P850. I love the pictures, great zoom and many options.Although I am still discovering the equipment, I've noticed that it has a delay when taking pictures. I am trying to take a pcture of an object, but by the time it does it the scenery changes. I've had cahow to elimanon powershot before, it was an issue, but not to this extent.*Does anybody know deal with it? I wanna take a picture right at this moment when I want, not a half second later...Any comment will be appreciated.
idea3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2006, 1:44 PM   #2

Doh!

I've just bought the same camera (i've not got it through the post yet) and didn't know it did that. My mobile phone has problems taking pictures like that and i hate it for that reason. Can't you upgrade the fireware somehow ?
12noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 9:24 PM   #3

Check your firmware version that comes with the camera. There is an upgrade at the Kodak website! Also when shooting inRAW format or TIFF format it takes the processor a bit of time to capture a photo! The JPEG format will speed it up but there will always be some delay! It's the nature of a non-DSLR camera!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 10:16 PM   #4

Is it enough of a problem to warrant a different camera? I've been looking at the P850 as a first camera but I don't want any huge problems. Topic creator, could you let me know if the firmware upgrade helps any?
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 10:32 PM   #5

I've been told by those that have upgraded their P850 that it makes it a lot better camera!

Dawg
Old Jun 11, 2006, 10:37 PM   #6

Almost all Digicams have a lag between shots. If you want super fast shot to shot get a Digital Single Lens Reflex camera! Of course the price goes up tremendously for one of those! I've shot over ten thousand photos with a DX6490 and have found ways around this! One is to be prepaired. Anticipate the action! Do I miss some shots?? Sure but I've learned to live with my camera and make it work for me!!

Dawg
Old Jun 12, 2006, 5:06 PM   #7

Greetings Idea3,

I can understand your concern coming from a film camera to a digital. You are right, there is a slight lag although the shutter and aperture etc. work the same, the CCD or Charged Coupled Device (Charge-Coupled Device).CCDs have been used aselectronic memory to record the intensity of light as a variable electric charge. CCDs are analog devices. Their charges equate to shades of light for monochrome images or shades of red, green and blue when used with color filters.

When you begin to take a picture,all the pixels in the CCD are flushed or cleared to receive the new image (light).

The "coupled" means the CCD is made up of an array of pixels and complementing array of storage pixels that are then coupled together. After a picture is taken, the captured charges aretransferred to the storage array. While the imaging CCDs are being exposed to the next picture, the storage CCDs from the last picture are being read out a row at a time to the analog-to-digital convertersthat change that information intobinary data that can beprocessed.

You see the outcome as an image on your screen. Essentially it is all mathematics and it happens at the speed of light, but the amount of processing is considerable when you consider that every pixel is providing data about that particular pixels in the color space it represents.

So, for most pictures, it takes about a 1/4 of a second or so. If you plan for this it becomes second nature. Unless you move up to a more expensive camera this is how just about all cameras work.

Hope this helps, talk to you soon.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 11:21 PM   #8

To all of you who have just purchased a P850 or are still considering purchasing one, STOP STRESSING! I've had mine for the better part of a year now and I am nothing but pleased with the performance and mostly the "feel" of it. True, it can't match the performance of an expensive DSLR, but for the money, it really delivers. Lag time is not an issue for me and I don't really care how many damn milliseconds it takes before I can shoot the next photo. The point is that overall it can hold its own performance-wise with any other manufacturer's camera in its class. The controls are smart, the images are bright and sharp and the IS works just fine. You combine that with the totally comfortable and high quality feel of the camera in your paws and you have a winner.

You'll notice that all my impressions of this camera are entirely subjective and I think that is more important than stressing over unimportant minutia.
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote