Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jun 11, 2006, 9:37 PM   #1

Okay, I'm a new photographer buying my very first camera... pretty exciting stuff. And a good sale on the P850 has caught my eye (at least it's a good sale where I live). So anyways, I want to know from people who own a P850 already what I should expect. What do you think it's good at and what is it not so good at? Bear in mind that I'm a beginner so I'm not so worried about all the mega complicated stuff, I just want to know if I can take some nice clear pictures.

I take pictures almost exclusively outdoors, I like landscapes as well as close ups of animals or flowers. My lighting ranges from a cloudy day to bright sunshine and possible a tiny bit of night stuff. I would also like to be able to take nice pictures of people, but I don't care if this is the best camera for it, just usable.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2006, 12:58 AM   #2

Good question that i wouldn't mind seeing the answer to. I've bought the same camera that should turn up in the post today:-)

:-)
All i was looking for when i bought the camera was one with a large zoom that wasn't over complicated and that i could just pick up and take with me where ever i wanted to go. It will be used on holiday for snaps, plus general use at home.
12noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 3:47 PM   #3

Greetings Morag,

From the needs you expressed, it sounds to me that you would enjoy the camera, especially if you are going to get a good deal.

The P850 offers a lot of nice features and presently at some good prices. I particularly like the flash connector and shoe as well as the IS to steady my shots. But, since I like candid kinds of things, kids in action, the flash is a plus for me. The camera has a relatively fast click to capture ratio - .3 Seconds. The long lens is a plus of course and it goes hand in hand with the Image Stability feature.

I would visit a local store where the camera might be seen first hand, then try it out if they will allow handling etc. Get a feel for the camera and a sense of the options and buttons. You will have a good idea if you will like the way it is laid out.

For, I do like it, and have enjoyed using it. Great pictures!!

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 5:10 PM   #4

Thank you very much, Ronbaird. I think I will do just that, as I haven't been able to find any major problems with the camera, I am going to go to the store tomorrow, and hopefully try it out.. if I can't I'll probably buy it anyway, I've done a fair bit of research.

I'm going to refrain from telling you all what my good deal is, because a good deal up here in Canada is a lot different from a good deal down in the states where you get all the good online shopping sites:P It's $200 off where I live, but you'd probably think it's a rip off.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 9:07 PM   #5

they sell for as little as$225 new in box, on ebay anyway

if thats all you want to spend, get it

if you want better quality it will cost more

the old adage applies,you get what you pay for
techgeek419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 11:45 PM   #6

Just bought it today, very happy so far... the zoom is incredible!
Old Jun 16, 2006, 12:21 AM   #7

My camera turned up in the post last night. The first thing i had to do was put the strap on and the small piece of string on the lens cover. I then put the memory card in and the battery and turned the camera on without looking at the manual.
:shock:
The camera came to life and the lens cap flew off as soon as i turned the camera on.

I then opened the manual (book) and had a look because i didn't want to do anything else like i'd just done by turning it on with the lens cap still on. Anyway i thought the book was a bit basic and could have given a bit more info than just the drawings and the 1 - 2 - 3 guides.
:roll:
Anyway i can't wait for the weekend now, so that i can give the camera a full workout.
12noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 7:32 AM   #8

I think if your expectations are realistic you'll be very happy with it. The camera is NOT a DSLR and I think too many people have tried to judge it against DSLR performance rather than against other "pro-sumer" level zoom cameras. I've written in this forum that I eventually (maybe 2 years from now) intend to purchase a DSLR but for now the P850 meets my needs. Besides taking basic home/family photos, I use mine occasionally to photograph homes for a real estate magazine, especially when the property cannot be approached up close and you have to take take the shot from a distance. The camera really shines in that application.

***Be sure to get the lens adapter for this camera and a neutral lens filter of some sort ASAP and keep it on to help protect the lens.

FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 3:18 PM   #9

Quote:
The camera came to life and the lens cap flew off as soon as i turned the camera on.
I did the exact same thing. Turned it on without thinking about the cap. It made me jump watching that thing fly off:-)

Quote:
***Be sure to get the lens adapter for this camera and a neutral lens filter of some sort ASAP and keep it on to help protect the lens.
I'm sort of a new photographer, FaciaBrut, does this affect the camera's pictures at all? And where would I get an adapter/filter?
Old Jun 16, 2006, 8:17 PM   #10

Morag, I am just like you.* I just got my P850 and I love it, go ahead and get the lens adaptor and the filter.* *Oh, and I did the exact same thing with the lens cap!!!
Lerxst is offline   Reply With Quote