Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jun 13, 2006, 3:32 AM   #1

hi guys, i havent been here in a while, guess ive been busy doing other things.

but right now I actually have an announcement:

I AM THINKING OF LEAVING KODAK

yes, selling my cams and getting something different.

Granted, I haveusually been quick to stand up for Kodak. Look at my posts. People would whine about quality issues and I would argue it.

My"history"withKodak includes ownership and use of SIX of their cams since June 2005 (just the last year). I had the CX6445, DX7440, Z740, P850, V530, V550. I still own the V550 and P850.

Sure I have taken some great pics with many of them. But that was great for the time. Its mid 2006 now, things change.

That was proven today whenI decided to make a tripto Best Buy and test out some cameras. I manages to spotthe new Panasonic fx01 and all I can say is WOW! I could go in to the detail as to why, ect,, but its really not necessary considering Im walking a fine line by talkin of a differentbrand thatpeople here are not loyal to.

The BB associate in the camera department was not pro kodak at all. She laughed at me for owning the models I have and said that "kodak is kinda low-end in quality compared to brands like panasonic and canon".

But I dont believe everything I hear, so I got to snapping with a few other models out there. Sure its limited toinside the store, but it was obviously clearwhy they no longer sell the V550 and V530, or the P850. They just doesnt cut the mustard!! Sorry fellow Kodak fans, I have to be honest.

Now about mynot-so-old P850, What to do with that? Well I kept quiet about it but really I've been regularly dissapointed by the number of images that come out somewhat blurry (soft focus might be the approp term). And not just in low light, but even bright sunlight with no movement. For example, remember the squirrel pics I posted some months back? There were a number that just didnt make the cut for quality, but I just left it alone.

So whats the alternative? Honestly, I think its time to upgrade to a D-SLR, like the Canon Rebel XT or Nikon D70. Sure, they have their downfalls as well, like higher costs, lack of movie mode and a small LCD. But at least I could MANUALLY turn the focus ring to make sure my shots are SHARP! It will cost me more than double than the P850, but hey, you get what you pay for I suppose.

Ok well I just had to takea few mins tovent about this.Maybe its what I need to convince myself that its time for change. Sure no one camera is perfect, but I found out today there are much better cams on the market today then there was 6 months ago. And Kodak, well, has lost its rank as my favorite anymore.

here are the factors inconsideration:

- image sharpness
- focus responsiveness
- lcd size and quality
- color balance
- size and weight
- battery time
- image noise
- ease of use
- color brightness/quality
- features and options
- zoom and wide angle
- shutter lag
- media used

techgeek419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2006, 11:06 AM   #2

The D50 or the D70 are good ones. They are just a little more expensive than I can afford right now and they are a couple of years old, but they would be my choice if I were leaving the Kodak fold! I keep waiting on Kodak to do some changing but I can't see it happening right now. I don't blame you and hope you have some happy shooting with whatever you wind up with! A friend is a friend now matter the brand of car or camera!! LOLOLOL Always your friend.....

Ed
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 12:20 PM   #3

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
I keep waiting on Kodak to do some changing but I can't see it happening right now.

I think a second generation of P Series should be coming along. An improved P880would be quite a good camera.
domang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 1:36 PM   #4

No doubt Leica optics is outplaying Kodaks optics but color reproduction and noise management is not great on Panasonic cameras. Lot of people are not satisfied with noise levels of those cameras. If you take equivalent 5MP camera of any brand and compare with P850, it doesnt fair bad. And V-series or C series camera are meant for point-shooters and I think they satisfy them well.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Atindra
Atindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 3:55 PM   #5

I really thought I should stay outa this, but ( and I know some of you are laughing right now) I just can't.
" Now about mynot-so-old P850, What to do with that? Well I kept quiet about it but really I've been regularly dissapointed by the number of images that come out somewhat blurry (soft focus might be the approp term). "

Why would you keep quiet about that? Aren't you the one who dragged up every old post and criticism of the p850 and raved about how great it was?!? I think the very least we can do for each other here is share honest opinions. When the p850 first came out, I saw and heard some not so good things . Since then I have to admit I've been seeing some pretty good results and for the current price, I think its a good buy.
" but it was obviously clearwhy they no longer sell the V550 and V530, or the P850. "
A quick check of their website lists these models as sold out, but they DO sell TWELVE other Kodak models. Ask that BB ass. why would they sell such "low quality stuff"

No single camera will ever satisfy all our wants and needs. You will find complaints about every model out there, Panasonic has their noise problems, Canon their purple fringe, Kodak their speed. I beleive if anyone would keep a camera long enough and experiment with the learning curve on each model, good shots can be had no matter the brand. I remember a contest awhile back where folks used $12.99 disposable kodaks and some of those pics were comparable to the $500 cameras.

Please don't take this the wrong way, TG. I'm not wanting to dis you. In fact, my next camera will more than likely be a D50, too. But my dx7590 will be right there next to it. I think Kodak has probably introduced more people to digital photography than any other company. I also think they need to come up with ( like Domang said) a 2nd generation P series for folks who want to advance. Otherwise they are going to lose that market.

And I want to echo what da Dawg said. You''l always be welcome here no matter what camera you choose.

Ok, I feel better now:roll:

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 1:59 PM   #6

Greetings Techgeek,

Sorry to hear that you are disappointed in Kodak.

I am glad to help you with any issues you might have about the cameras noted or others that you might try. I have seen and tried most of the others in question as well. I suppose I should not be commenting as I work at Kodak but I just wanted to share some facts and what I have seen.

Let me first assure you that Kodak is not sitting on its hands. Rather, we have new products on the table that when ready will be quite impressive, and likely fill your need. Can't talk about any of them, but suffice to say that we are no different than any other digital camera manufacturer in that we have new cameras in concept and others being prepared for manufacture. They employ the latest in technology.

Also, I can assure you that the quality of the cameras noted is very high. The notion that "kodak is kinda low-end in quality compared to brands like panasonic and canon" is false. Kodak has been in the business of making cameras since the 1880s and I will stand behind a Kodak camera in the same range, including professional level cameras,any day. Many other camera makers did not offer professional level cameras until later in the digital transition. Kodak did it with Kodak technology. I have been in the photography business for 44 years and have seen the coming and going of a lot of brands and in many markets. I can assure you that Kodak holds its own.

Take a look at the following site to learn more about what kinds of things Kodak has been involved in for some time. It will give you a perspective of the kinds of technology you get inside a Kodak camera. Click on the hightlighted links for details

http://www.kodak.com/go/research

Some examples are:
  • 1975 - Bayer Pattern Color Imaging Array [/*]
  • 1976 - First Digital Camera Prototype [/*]
  • 1986 - First Megapixel Image Sensor [/*]
  • 1991 - First image sensor for a commercially available digital camera (Kodak DCS) [/*]
  • 1994 - First mass-market image sensor for consumer photography (Apple QuickTake / KODAK DC40) [/*]
  • 1999 - First ITO Enhanced-QE Full Frame Image Sensor [/*]
  • 2002 - First 22 Megapixel Image Sensor for Professional Photography [/*]
Sorry if I get too excited, but just wanted to assure those that are here, that Kodak is high on the list of quality and innovation. I will keep my comments in the future to helping with digital imaging issues.

Talk to you all soon.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 10:00 PM   #7

You are all welcome to tell the truth here! Ron.. With the price of the P850 dropping the way it is I've known for a while that Kodak is comming out with a new one! With only a couple of changes from the P850 I'll buy one too! I'd like the option of full manual focus from time to time! The 880 has it but it's short lens isn't what I want or need! 8 MPs or better. You've got it with the P880 but there's that short lens again! A faster shot to shot camera. Whatever it takes please speed it up and don't lose the quality! I too have always liked Kodak and am one of those that posted photos with the throw-away cameras. A good photo can be gotten with a pinhole camera if you take the time to learn how. I'm not asking for the world just some things that would make a move from my DX6490 worth while. I really don't won't to go back to the days of 6 or 8 different lens in my camera bag....I just want a P850 with the changes I mentioned or better yet a DX6490 with them...Yeah even have Identical lens and controls!! Y'all have a nice day ya heah!!

Dawg
Old Jun 16, 2006, 3:55 PM   #8

Hi Ron, a few more additions to the wish list:
longexposure ( like 60 seconds)
remote shutter release

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:59 PM   #9

We all just love the HOT SHOE!!!!!

Dawg
Old Jun 17, 2006, 3:20 AM   #10

Like Dan said,
And an eyecup PULEEEEZE :idea::idea::idea::-):-):-)

PS. Dawg, now shush ,no baster comments....LMAO
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote