Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jun 30, 2006, 9:54 PM   #11

Sounds like a plan to me!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:14 PM   #12

Is there any advantage to getting the Kodak 1.4 T-con over the Olympus 1.7 T-con?

B&H has them both in stock, the Kodak is $120 and the Olympus is $93.

69fb400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 8:59 AM   #13

The Olympus TCON has a higher magnification and is cheaper - works fine. Many here have it.

Steve W.
on30trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 12:00 PM   #14

I prefer the Olympus myself! Have had very good results with it!

Dawg

Old Jul 15, 2006, 3:56 PM   #15

sameroad-

Be sure to stay on top of www.pagecomputer.com. I ordered a P-20 flash from them in January 2006 and the still had not delivered it by March 2006, so I ordered it from the Kodak website.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 11:10 PM   #16

MT!!!!! Yer back!!!!!~ Yippy!! Howed the cruise go????

Dawg
Old Jul 23, 2006, 1:54 PM   #17

Hi, all!

Thanks for the info. I will probably get the Olympus converter.

I agree: the motorized P20 flash is the way to go. I get excellent uniformity over 24 to 140 mm (eq) with it. The wide-angle ability is essential for my P880; less so for the P850. Telephoto ability is good because it gets more light on distant subjects. The P20 actually doesn't adjust beyond 80mm, however, so you don't get full advantage at the P850's zoom extremes. Still, you get far more light at tele settings than from a fixed flash that has to cover a 35mm field of view.

For the record: My P880 is VERY happy with 52mm filters on its lens, no adapters needed. I don't know if the P850 also has a front 52mm thread, but it's worth checking it out!

I get no vignetting with conventional filters even at 24mm, but if I stack a polarizer over a UV filter (too lazy to remove it!), I do get unacceptable vignetting at wide settings. So I get less lazy.

I got all excited because I have a lot of 52mm leftovers from my ancient Nikon SLR. Unfortunately my color-correction filters (who knows what Tungsten film is anymore?) and red, green, orange, and trusty yellow filters aren't very useful, as all that can be done better in the camera or on the computer now. And my old polarizer is linear, which makes some AE systems go nuts.

Fortunately Buy.Com had a really cheap price on "Sunpak CF-7078 TW 52mm Ultra-Violet and Circular Polarized Filter Twin Pack " of $12.99 for BOTH. Less than $20 with shipping. I know some purists are picky, but Sunpak is a good old brand, and the filters had no visible problems - flatness, striations, bubbles, etc. No way to tell from my Nikons except by the labels.

Bob

Profk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 1:54 PM   #18

Hi, all!

Thanks for the info. I will probably get the Olympus converter.

I agree: the motorized P20 flash is the way to go. I get excellent uniformity over 24 to 140 mm (eq) with it. The wide-angle ability is essential for my P880; less so for the P850. Telephoto ability is good because it gets more light on distant subjects. The P20 actually doesn't adjust beyond 80mm, however, so you don't get full advantage at the P850's zoom extremes. Still, you get far more light at tele settings than from a fixed flash that has to cover a 35mm field of view.

For the record: My P880 is VERY happy with 52mm filters on its lens, no adapters needed. I don't know if the P850 also has a front 52mm thread, but it's worth checking it out!

I get no vignetting with conventional filters even at 24mm, but if I stack a polarizer over a UV filter (too lazy to remove it!), I do get unacceptable vignetting at wide settings. So I get less lazy.

I got all excited because I have a lot of 52mm leftovers from my ancient Nikon SLR. Unfortunately my color-correction filters (who knows what Tungsten film is anymore?) and red, green, orange, and trusty yellow filters aren't very useful, as all that can be done better in the camera or on the computer now. And my old polarizer is linear, which makes some AE systems go nuts.

Fortunately Buy.Com had a really cheap price on "Sunpak CF-7078 TW 52mm Ultra-Violet and Circular Polarized Filter Twin Pack " of $12.99 for BOTH. Less than $20 with shipping. I know some purists are picky, but Sunpak is a good old brand, and the filters had no visible problems - flatness, striations, bubbles, etc. No way to tell from my Nikons except by the labels.

Bob

Profk is offline   Reply With Quote