Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jun 20, 2006, 7:23 PM   #1

Because of the favorable comments from several on this group I bit the bullet and bought an Olympus TCON 17 for my Z7590 - got it from B&H as recommended by Dawg and others. It came in one day from NYC to Eastern PA. Also got a monopod in the same order. Only had a little time to make some test shots this afternoon, but all seems well. The pictures seem to be sharp enough. I was pleasantly surprised about how far down I could take the zoom before there was any vignetting and that was with a UV filter sandwiched between the adapter and the TCON. On my old Kodak DC4800 the Kodak TCON for it was only useable at maximum zoom, but it also cost much less even though it was a Kodak TCON.
One question (concern?) is the small number of threads on the mount. It only seems like it takes about one full turn plus until it is tight. Is this the experience others with the lens have seen? The lens seems firmly attached but am wondering with time whether there will be any problems with the threads? Several of you have had your TCON for awhile. Any possible problems? Thanks,

Steve W.
on30trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2006, 7:59 PM   #2

Steve, I don't know of anyone having problems, but I agree it could use a few more threads. Use caution putting it on. I like to support it with my left hand under the joint when shooting freehand, probably not necessarry but I've gotten comfortable doing it.

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 9:23 PM   #3

Cross-threading can be a big problem with the TCON-17. The threads are very fine and hard to get started straight. Once mine is aligned properly it screws in about 3 to 4 turns. If yours is only screwing in one or one and a half turns the filter your using could be the problem and not the TCON. It may only allow that much thread to be used! Mine( the TCON I mean) bottoms out and seats all the way in with no threads left exposed. So if yours doesn't check for cross threading or shallow threads on the filter!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:49 PM   #4

Dawg,
My TCON is threading in all the way, either into the filter or straight into the adapter - it is just that there are only two threads at the most showing on the TCON. No cross threading problem, just few threads there. If yours is threading on 3 or 4 full turns you have way more threads on yours than mine has.
The way Dan answered my querry it seems as though his only has the few threads. The connection is tight - it just worries me that the more I take it off and on the more the threads may wear. Maybe I am worrying too much - will support it at the lens/adapter joint when hand holding. When using the monopod I just have to be careful not to jar the lens. Actually I noticed that the filters I have also only go in about two turns or less, but they weight nothing. That TCON is one big dude.

Dawg and others - another question. Do you guys always use a filter between the lens and adapter? My main use for a UV filter has been for lens protection, but I guess it does help the picture quality in some lighting conditions. Don't know if I would want to hang that TCON onto a polarizing filter - not sure it would be that stable. I noticed that the sheet that came with the lens said that a filter can't be used. But I think they probably meant on the outer glass since there are no threads.

Thanks for the replys. Now to get some real testing done on the TCON the next few days.

Steve W.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 12:29 AM   #5

I use a Skylight 1-A filter almost all the time whether I'm shooting with just a polorizer filter a wide angle lens, the Cokin filter system I love using or the Tcon. About the only time I remove it is for long exposure very low light shots or when using the flash indoors! It stays on the rest of the time! I put my TCON-17 on a polorizing filter almost every time I'm using it out doors! No problems so far! I've done this now for thousands of photos and not had a bad experience! Hope you have fun in the new world of ZOOOOOM! LOL

Dawg
Old Jun 21, 2006, 3:36 PM   #6

Steve, yep I only get about 2 full turns and if you look into the adapter, thats about all the threads there areinside too. My uv filter rarely comes off, I hang the Tcon on it andsometimes ,like Dawg, I use both the uv and cp with the Tcon. Although we don't see as much sun up here as he does lol

Dan

Old Jun 21, 2006, 8:23 PM   #7

That's my Sunny disposition at work Dan!! LOL
Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:30 PM   #8

Dan & Dawg,
Thanks both of you for the replys - appreciated.

Dan,
Did some more checking today and found something interesting - the adapter I am presently using isn't the Kodak one. I couldn't find one locally when I bought the camera so I got one from EBay. It is from Fotodiox and, even though it is well built, I notice that the threads are slightly recessed and that is causing me to lose one turn of the threads. Also the Fotodiox UV filter I bought at the same time is the same. My HOYA polarizer threads start at the edge and it allows almost 2 complete thread turns on the TCON. So I decided to get a real Kodak adapter and found that right now they (Kodak web store) are having a 20% off sale on those type of items with free shipping also. So I bought one tonight - will see in a few days whether it makes a difference. I noticed I had to be super careful when I threaded onto the HOYA filter not to cross-thread. Guess that was what Dawg was warning me about yesterday. The extra adapter will also allow me to keep it attached to the TCON - will buy a second UV filter if need be. (See my comment on a filter at the lens front end below)

BTW I e-mailed Olympus today about my concerns on the threads and also their comment in the instructions not to use filters between the lens and adapter. Wondering why they don't recommend using a filter unless it has to do with adding a second thread joint in the mounting. Haven't heard back yet. Will post answer here if there is any good info.

I measured the front end of the TCON with my digital calipers and find it to be ~77mm (76.5 or so within the accuracy of my calipers). I am wondering if a 77mm filter (a standard size) could be mounted on the lens - might require filing the threads down somewhat to make a press in fit. May buy a cheap 77mm UV filter on EBay and try it. I would really like to protect that big hunk of glass sticking out there. I know I will end up bumping something with it and scratch it. Think the lens housing is mainly plastic so it may just screw in OK. Anybody try this yet? Don't want to waste my time if it has been tried and doesn't work.

Steve W.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 3:26 PM   #9

I really can't stress enough just how much better the Kodak adapter is than some of the generics, its well worth the few bucks difference

I've heard some who did what you're saying Steve, epoxied a threaded ring on the end of the Tcon and I guess it worked ok for them. I don't see the need for it, haven't bumped or scratched it yet- just leave the cap on till I'm ready to shoot

Dan

Old Jun 22, 2006, 7:21 PM   #10

I've heard of one or two that did just that and epoxied a filter in place. Also heard of one that duct taped one on! The Cokin filter system offers an adapter that fastens to large format lens with three set screws, I believe there is an inside ring on this assembly that prevents damage to the lens. The main draw back is you have to use their filters and for that size the cost is outrageous! I've had no problems in about a year and a half with no UV cover for the front! Like Dan said I keep the lens cover on till I'm ready to shoot! Look forward to the Olympus reply! Have fun shooting!!!! LOL

Dawg