Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jun 21, 2006, 4:39 AM   #1

I have a Kodak Easyshare camera and used the software that came with the camera to store photographs on my computer. However, i have recently bought a new computer and would like to transfer my photographs to the new computer. How can this be done?

My old computer cannot burn CDs, doesn't recognise a memory stick.

Is it possible to transfer the photos back onto the camera and then upload them onto the new computer??

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thank you.
spaceranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:51 AM   #2

I am quite sure that they can't be transferred back onto the camera... you may want to take a look into why it doesn't read memory sticks, because almost all computers should be able to, and thats certainly the easiest way to transfer it.

If you had to, there is probably an enclosure you could buy and put your computers entire hard drive into it, than plug that enclosure into your new computer via USB. It's quite complicated but you should be able to make it work.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 12:08 PM   #3

I think its possible only if you dont use Kodak easyshare. If your camera is recognised by your computer go to its memory folder and copy there and be sure that you are not copying them in system folder.

Kodak easyshare will not allow your computer to recognize your camera as a memory device. I shall try myself and then will report exact procedure. Till then dont try if you are not confident.

Atindra
Atindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 8:19 PM   #4

So if I'm understanding you... your old PC doesn't have a card reader or a CD burner. Not uncommon. If that's the case, run down to WalMart or Target and pick up an el cheapo USB card reader. Or.... get a USB thumb drive. Two most inexpensive methods of file transfer between PCs. (I'm waiting to hear that you don't have a USB port)
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 8:24 PM   #5

He said that his computer doesn't recognize memory sticks (I assume he meant USB thumb drives). Evidently the machine he's using now has some problems... but I really can't think of a good solution if you can't get your files out in any of the mentioned ways... CD burners arn't expensive, maybe you could buy one of those.

FaciaBrut wrote:
Quote:
So if I'm understanding you... your old PC doesn't have a card reader or a CD burner. Not uncommon. If that's the case, run down to WalMart or Target and pick up an el cheapo USB card reader. Or.... get a USB thumb drive. Two most inexpensive methods of file transfer between PCs. (I'm waiting to hear that you don't have a USB port)
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 8:59 AM   #6

Spaceranger-- by "memory stick" did you mean USB thumbdrives or your camera's memory card? What operating system is your old computer running? Windows 98 and earlier usually require drivers be installed in order to use certain devices like thumbdrives and memory card readers. Do you have any geek friends who can help you just to get your files off the old PC?

I think the suggestion to slap the old hard drive in an external USB hard drive case is a good one... one I've often employed. After you've transferred all your precious files to the new computer, format the old HD and use it as a backup and archive device. I have a 300gb HD in a Venus DS3 USB case sitting on my desk right now. Very inexpensive from several online and retail sources.

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/r...closure_1.html
Old Jun 24, 2006, 11:42 AM   #7

Easiest way if it is alot of pics would be to just pop the old HDD out from your old PC
and hoook it up in the new one as the slave drive.
Then go to my computer select the drive, go to your pics, and drag them over to the new drive.
pop the HHD out and put it back into the old pc.

5 mins and your done
osirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 2:34 PM   #8

or you can pop out the old drive go to Office Depot, Circuit city, Comp USA etc.. and by a $20-30.00 USB 2 harddrive enclosure for the drive and access from the old harddrive.
JimWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 4:23 PM   #9

osirus's approach is the easiest and quickest. There should be an empty secondary ISA slot next to the one your new hard drive is plugged into. It is sometimes possible to unplug it from the old computer and plug it into the secondary slot on the new computer without even removing the hard drive – it is according to how you can line up the two computers. Even if you have to remove the old drive you don't have to install it in the new computer. Just lay it beside the old computer and plug it in.

There are probably more things than photos you might want to move to the new computer. Programs don't usually work that way though and have to be installed from the original source. But you can usually find the folders that hold the data files and move them, along with My Documents and anything else in the way of data.

JimWhit's approach is also very practical if you don't intend passing the old computer on. An enclosure for the old drive makes for a great secure backup if you unplug the USB when you aren't using it. That approach loses some practicality if you plan passing the old computer on with its HD, although you can pick up another larger drive inexpensively to put in it to make a good backup system. I have an external USB case for backup and like the security.

According to what OS you have in the old computer, uninstalling EasyShare usually makes Kodak cameras show as a drive with XP. From there you can transfer photos back to the card. It works that way with XP but I don't know about older systems. EasyShare doesn't allow you to transfer full sized photos to the card – only photos for the internal album if your camera has internal memory.

A card reader will also work if you don't have a lot of photos to transfer and/or have a large memory card.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 10:49 PM   #10

Has anyone beside me noticed that everyone is trying to be helpful and throwing in their respective 2 cents, but Mr. Spaceranger seems to have disappeared?