Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:55 PM   #1

Hey everyone, I was out taking some pictures today, and while protecting my face from a giant bee, I touched my lens, leaving a bit of a fingerprint... it doesn't seem to affect my shots at all (I don't notice a smudge) but it bothers me none the less, any tips for removing it?
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:09 PM   #2

I haven't had to clean my P580 lens yet but I have a Kodak Z700 as well and when the lens on that got dirty I would just use a very soft lens cleaner "microfiber" cloth

sameroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:21 AM   #3

Alright, thank you. I don't have a microfiber cloth at the time so I guess I'll have to go out and buy one.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 7:27 AM   #4

I saw recommended something called LENSPEN, http://www.lenspen.com, and found one at Radio Shack. Lucked out and got it at a clearance price of two bucks. Seems to work justfine.
domang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 3:14 PM   #5

Well this might sound crude and cheap, but I and many others still just use a CLEAN tshirt....the important thing is to first blow off any dust on the lens, then fog it up with your breath and GENTLY wipe with a CLEAN tshirt corner. Cleaning kits or lenspens are great, I just don't have any room left in the bag LOL

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 7:12 PM   #6

Well I think I'm going to order a cleaning kit along with my memory card, (combined shipping is really cheap). But if that doesn't work out, I'll have to give the t-shirt a try. Thanks all.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 7:28 PM   #7

I bought a lens cleaning kit when I bought my TCON-17. Have only needed it twice since then but it works great! Like Dan said the most important thing is removing any dust before wiping! A finger print can be removed but a scratch is forever!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:41 PM   #8

Dan has the right idea:idea: but if your camera bags does not have room for a tee shirts a few Q-tips stoed in a pill bottle will do the trick. The breath on the lens surface is imprtant as you do not want to rub a dry cotton swab against your dry lens surface and risk scratching the glass or lens coating.

BiLL
:|

bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 12:46 AM   #9

Everybody is bound to touch the lens someday...having said that it is probably a good idea to put a skylight or uv filter on the lens. It will slow the lens down a fraction but it will protect the lens surface from scratches and finger prints.

A dry lens cleaner will get most of a smudge off, but like the others emply anything hard on the surface while cleaning could risk a scratch. A scratched skylight filter is cheap to replace.
JimWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 1:30 AM   #10

Instead of a t-shirt. Wouldn't it be as good to use the cloth out of a glasses case ?
12noon is offline   Reply With Quote