Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jun 30, 2006, 2:18 PM   #1

Friends had me remove EasyShare from their computer last night and it didn't work as I had expected. When the download button was pushed on the cradle after the uninstall, the new hardware found dialog came up and XP installed the camera. Then the dialog for the wizard appeared and I set it up to send their photos to My Pictures.

What didn't happen as other posts had led me to believe is that the camera still showed in Windows Explorer as a Kodak V550 with no drive letter. You evidently can't send photos from the computer back to the card in the camera in the normal way. Others have said that it establishes a drive letter after EasyShare is removed. I'm wondering if it might have something to do with using the cradle or if I did something wrong.

Any insights would be appreciated.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2006, 7:07 PM   #2

Update: I found some people over on dpreview who could answer my question. It appears that newer model Kodak cameras don't show up as a separate drive letter even after you remove EasyShare. So the only way to put full sized images back on the card is to buy a card reader.

My guess is that Kodak wants you to make an online account through EasyShare and buy prints from them, so they closed the loophole of being able to remove EasyShare and make a Kodak show like a normal camera.

EasyShare was slowing their computer but I found the problem and can probably get it back on the computer without having it grind to a near stop again.

Old Jul 1, 2006, 7:31 PM   #3

Costco has cheap online prints. I use a secondary memory card that is stored in my pda, I rarely remove the CF card from my camera.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 10:02 PM   #4

I have adobe elements 4 installed and it uploads both my kodak z730 and my Fuji s5200 without a problem and without easyshare installed.
Rags
rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 12:11 PM   #5

I have Adobe Elements 4 also but my EASYSHARE software takes over my downloading of photos and "crowds out" Adobe. Elements does not recognize my P880 so I always have the intermediate step of going thru EASYSHARE and then 'getting photos' into ADOBE afterwards. I may have to uninstall EASYSHARE but with these horror stories I dunno.

Jim M.
JimboWHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 1:31 AM   #6

For a program other than EasyShare to access the photos the camera has to show as a drive. It won't show as a drive with EasyShare installed.

I don't know of any horror stories. Uninstall EasyShare. If you still can't access the images through a drive letter reinstall it.

Someone at dpreview suggested that maybe uninstalling EasyShare and just installing the dock driver might cause it to show as a drive. I haven't found anyone who got a V550 to show as a drive though.

Old Jul 3, 2006, 10:42 AM   #7

Personally, I find it much easier to use a card reader rather than using Easyshare, so I just plug my USB SD Card Reader in and get my pictures that way. (The readers cost like $15)
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 11:12 AM   #8

The 'horror stories' about uninstalling EASYSHARE I'm referring to are the ones I've read in the Kodak Forum on DPREVIEW - as well as those I've seen here. It's just a couple of features like CARTOON that have kept me from going excusilely with ELEMENTS.

Jim M.
JimboWHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 4:48 PM   #9

Greetings Slipe,

I am usually around here, but was on vacation over the last week and a half so did not see your note.

Actually, it is quite easy to transfer images. Kodak, however, along with many others, now uses a communication standard known as PTP or Picture Transfer Protocol.They were one of the first to use this and one of the primary authors of the standard, which has been submittd to the ISO and is in the process of being adopted. There are numerous advantages to using PTP, one of which is that the new direct-to-printer standard PictBridge, whichruns on top of PTP.

However, most OS' do not have PTP drivers in the base OS. (Windows XP and MacOS X do, everything else does not) So, if you do not use one of these, it means that you need toinstall a driver to communicate with the cameras.

The other standard that can be used is what is known as USB Mass Storage Device Class, or USBMSDC. This makes the device appear as a removeable mass storage device on your comptuer (the icon to which youhave alluded). Support for USBMSDC is a bit broader in the native OS (I think Windows 2000 and Windows ME also have this) you still may have to install a driver to use a MSDC device.

You can installjust the driver for Kodak digital cameras. Run the KODAK EASYSHARE Software install disk, select custom install and install only "Camera Connection Software" You will not get any of the KODAK EASYSHARE Software or the automatic transfer but your camera will be recognized by the computer and will show up in windows Explorer as a hard disk (which seems to be your goal).

Give this a try. BTW, when you install a new installation of EasyShare, the system will take some time to reference all the images you have on the hard drive. You can add more from different locations, but it does take a couple of minutes. Once the reference (catalog) is built it should run about the same. Not much different from Adobe Photoshop Elements.

If you want to remove all references of the EasyShare software, you can go to the following URL and run that program. Remeber, you should always use the Windows Add/Remove feature first. Once complete, run the clear program. It will clear your machine of Kodak EasyShare references.

http://www.kodak.com/go/clear

Also, EasyShare has two options for email. one includes a link to images that you have uploaded to the EasyShare Gallery (free). The other attaches your images to the email which can mean large file transfers. Depending on who you are sending the email to, they may get a failure due to their ISP restrictions. Using the Gallery link option allows you to share many pictures with many people but without all the trouble of sending individual files. It is much easier.

Hope this helps, let me know if you think I can help, I am usually around.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 4:45 PM   #10

Hi Ron – sorry I didn't get back sooner. My friends are away and I had let their Kodak slip.

Now that I have found out what was slowing their computer I'll probably just reinstall EasyShare. She really likes just pushing the button on the cradle and having everything happen without intervention.

You might be interested in what was slowing their computer.

About a year before they bought the V550 she had some photos developed and got a Kodak Picture CD with them. The instructions said to load EasyShare from the CD to download the photos. Their computer slowed to a complete crawl. After a cleanup of all the temp files, AV and spyware scans plus running some diagnostic software the computer was still a mess. Since the last thing that had gone on the computer was EasyShare I found the photos and moved them to a regular folder and uninstalled EasyShare. The computer returned to normal.

The same thing happened when they installed EasyShare for the camera. I copied the photos to a folder and uninstalled EasyShare. The computer was still messed up. When I deleted the Kodak folder EasyShare had made in shared photos the computer went back to normal. When they come home I can probably disable file sharing or get EasyShare to send the photos somewhere else.

It seems odd that a folder of photos in shared documents would do that to the computer. I'm guessing that the technician that installed their cable or DSL somehow initiated file sharing and it was trying to share the photos with the LAN. It must be fairly rare to have that happen or we would hear other complaints.

It also seems odd that a program like EasyShare would want technical information like IP addresses and gateways before being able to connect to the internet. Other programs seem to find their way to the internet fine. Perhaps the problems are interconnected and once I disable file sharing it will act normally. I'll just use the addresses from control panel if the program insists. I think they will be happy with EasyShare if they can establish an online account and get prints that way.

Thanks for all the information. I'll try the complete removal utility and install the latest EasyShare from Kodak.