Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jun 30, 2006, 1:31 PM   #1

So I finally have the money I need to buy my tcon lens and I was really leaning towards a raynox of some kind, the DCR-2020 has the best zoom of course and all things considered, I can deal with that price now

But I hit a snag!

The 2020 has a lens at the very back part of the rear threads.
So my BIG question is, anyone out there with a P880 w/ the kodak lens adapter, PLEASE tell me how long it is! or more specifically... when the adapter is in place (but no lens on the adapter) about how far away from the end of the adapter is the actual camera lens? Is it still within or past the edge of the adapter, and by how much???

Also, anyone with the kodak tcon, does it have a lens at the back of the threads??

Thanks in advance guys
wizbummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2006, 2:19 PM   #2

wizbummer,
I checked my Oly TCON-17 (more zoom and cheaper than the Kodak) - but don't know how the measurements compare to the Kodak TCON. The back lens glass mount sticks out around 1 mm beyond the threads. Although I don't have a P880 (mine is the Z7590) I did make some measurements on the Kodak adapter for it. The camera lens housing comes flush with the bottom of the adapter threads when the camera is turned ON. The thread depth of the adapter measures 2mm. The TCON-17 has only about 1mm of threads - that has been my concern with that TCON. The best I get is about two turns of threads when I attach the TCON to the adapter. I had initially bought a non-OEM adapter on E-Bay (from Fotodiox). The adapter is good quality but the threads are slightly recessed. With it I only got one turn of threads when I attached it - didn't make me feel good. Just got the Kodak adapter - they recently had a 20% off sale plus free shipping from the Kodak web store. But even with that one I only get one additional turn (about 2 turns total), but guess it will be OK. Others on this forum haven't had any troubles when using the Kodak adapter. I would suspect that the Kodak adapter for the P880 would be similar in design to the Z7590 one. Hope this helps you some even though it is for a different camera adapter and TCON.

Steve W.
on30trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 9:22 PM   #3

Whiz ... Since the adapter is there to attach filters and auxilliary lens to the P880, if you are buying the Ranox, the Kodak or the TCON-17, they will all not only fit but will clear your camera lens by at least a mm or two! They are made to fit very close so they are effective! Just for gosh sakes be sure you have the Kodak brand adapter for that camera! Put the adapter on and you will be able to measure the distance from the lens and the front end of the adapter! The camera lens is usually recessed a couple of mm from the threads so your lens or filter will clear! Those measurements will vary but not by as much as a mm. The tolerances are in the thousanths of a mm.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 11:17 PM   #4

thanks dawg, I just wanted to make sure before purchasing. As it turns out though, today I've been toying with the idea of selling the 880, possibly going back to a 6490 (they're less than $150 now!) and a compact carry-around camera (maybe V610?)

Orrr going with a dSLR. So many decisions! I'm not saying the 880 isn't a good camera, but it does have flaws that are addressable but kodak has yet to provide a sufficient fix for!
Old Jul 1, 2006, 2:26 PM   #5

Sorry to hear you've problems Whiz! The DX6490 can have problems but it seems they really did an excellant job on most of them! Mine had one or two issues but they were easily overcome with a little help from my friends! I do like the photos I've seen with the P880! Again I just wish Kodak would make a DX6490 with a hot shoe, Raw files and a true manual focus option with at least 8 Mega pixels. That Be the one I want! They have tried to put too many options on some of the newer models and created a complexity nightmare! Kodak....Learn this___ K.I.S.S.!!!!! Keep it simple stupid!!!!

Dawg SEZ!!!!!
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 2:48 PM   #6

Kodak should listen to Dawg
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 5:46 PM   #7

I agree wholeheartedly!

Kodak has some devoted users (such as some of the folks on here ) but as far as sales go, I don't forsee them filling that exact niche. They do very well in sales with their high-zoom models (by far the most popular above 3x zoom cameras I've sold have been kodaks), but a majority of the users of these models do not greatly explore the manual functions that the camera provides. I don't know anyone who's actually used hotshoe pr PC-sync flashes aside from a select few on this board. Then again, I only have 2 friends who really do any kind of photography other than friends/vacation pics....

Well I'm still undecided with what I'm going to do. For now I believe I'll keep my 880, honestly the shutter lag is the only hugely annoying thing which is why i'm considering an EOS rebel XT.

Hey ron, if you read this, please light a fire under some engineer's butt to get this issue fixed! :G