Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jul 1, 2006, 4:24 PM   #1

Hey, I was just wondering if my Kodak LS743 (yes I know it's quite old!) is supposed to have such a noisy zoom. It's been like it ever since i've had it, it sort of makes a whining sound when you turn it on, and when you zoom in and out. Also whenyou switch it off, the lens goes almost all the way in, and then goes out a bitand back fully in. I think the lens cover also tries to shut before it's completely in but i'm not sure. Hope that made sense!

Also, a few days ago when I switched it on the camera said the Sandisk 512MB memory card was not formatted. So I tried to format it, but it said the card was write protected, which it wasn't. I switched the camera off, reinserted it and it's worked fine since. Should I be worried about my card/camera? I don't want it giving up on me when I'm on holiday!.

I've been really pleased with my little Kodak though, and I thought i'd post a couple of recent snaps i've taken: i'm just a casual shooter, nothing special!

Any advise would be much appreciated, hope you like my photos!

Flower in my garden:

Dragonfly-like(?) creature which I spotted on the ground and snapped it before it flew off:

Thanks very much.

Mike

Mike_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2006, 4:42 PM   #2

I can't see the pictures...
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 4:47 PM   #3

Sorry about that, the site didn't seem to allow linking :roll:
Old Jul 1, 2006, 6:34 PM   #4

I'm really not familiar with the camera model you have, but I do know that almost ALL older cameras have been noisy. Technology has progressed and allowed for smaller, lighter, and more powerful motors. In the earlier days of digital cameras, there was a tradeoff between smaller, MUCH more expensive and frankly underpowered motors, or using a larger camera to fit less expensive and larger. Less expensive often also equates with "louder".

If it functions still, that's all I'd be concerned with. Kodaks are generally dependable, if the memory card works now then it's VERRY unlikely to fail on you in the field, SD cards are nice and stable

Oh, and nice macro shots!
wizbummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 8:56 PM   #5

Nice shots, and my fairly new Kodak P850 also has a noisy zoom, so maybe it's normal.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 11:21 AM   #6

Thanks very much for your help and the comments on my photos! I feel far more reassured now, although my sister's Kodak CX7430 (basically the same model, but with a Kodak lens and a different design/LCD screen) has a fairly quiet zoom.

Also, forgot to mention, when you look at the LCD screen in "liveview", ie when you're about to take a picture, it's getting the right amount of light. However, when you focus the camera, (hold the shutter button down halfway), the screen goes slightly darker, and takes a darker photo. This happens outside in the sunshine. I can use the exposure compensastion setting to adjust this, but it's not ideal. style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I think it's only been doing this quite recently, but i'm not sure as it's not normally this sunny! Is there a sensor I should wipe clean or anything?

Thanks very much for your help.

Mike
Old Jul 2, 2006, 4:17 PM   #7

Your camera is probably just set to try and adjust for a specific light and something about the brightness is fooling it. You are using auto mode when that happens, right? Because if you use manual settings it shouldn't happen.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 4:19 PM   #8

Yes I normally just put it onto Auto mode, unless i'm using one of the Scene Modes. I don't generally alter the settings, though there's not that many to choose from!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks for your help!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Mike