Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jul 4, 2006, 11:35 PM   #1

A small bird with a mottled red head and chest and some on the back has spawned a clutch of little ones in our back yard. I have been trying to get some shots of them but they have just learned to fly and are frenetic. I have several of the mother (or father) that I will post later. Maybe someone will identify them for me. I'm posting this now because I felt that I was lucky to get them in flight. ISO 50, Aperture 3.72?, 1/250. Ken S. Oh, 12X optical, slightly cropped.
Attached Images

kselfrid2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2006, 7:48 AM   #2

I have no idea what they are Ken. Nice inflight shot there though.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 9:20 AM   #3

Thanks, Dawg. The reason for the slow shutter speed is that I have been trying for several days to get a clear shot of an adult sitting still in good light so I can catch the red color. Most of my shots so far are full 12X and are not always clear. Also I must have reset the aperture for some other shot. Ken S.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:55 AM   #4

That's the reason for my bird feeders and where I positioned them! By putting them under the trees in front of my front porch, I'm able to sit in my rocker and get good clear shots hand held or use my tripod in cloudy or overcast weather! The feeders bring them in closer so I only have about a 40 ft. maximum range to get the shots!

Dawg
Old Jul 7, 2006, 11:36 PM   #5

Yeh!! Good idea! I happened to mention that a bird feeder would attract some fine specimens, but I got voted down. Squirrels and other varmints, you know. So 12X is still my style. And AUTO. I have to get used to MANUAL, as in PASM.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 11:36 PM   #6

Yeh!! Good idea! I happened to mention that a bird feeder would attract some fine specimens, but I got voted down. Squirrels and other varmints, you know. So 12X is still my style. And AUTO. I have to get used to MANUAL, as in PASM.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 11:37 PM   #7

Seems I'm a Klutz also. Couldn't figure out how to delete extra copies. I'm just going to have to do better.

Ken S.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 12:29 PM   #8

The Dawg is right!

You have to get the bird(s) where you want them rather than chasing them with your lens pumped up to 12x.

If you insist on chasing or panning you should try going from auto mode to "S" shutter preffered. Pick a fast speed like 1/500 or faster and bump up your ISO (formerly called ASA to 200).

Remember that when you pan you do not stop short to click your shutter! Dont stop your pan till after the shutter closes. Match your pan speed to the speed of your subject (this means keep the subject in the same spot in your view finder throuh both your pan as well as at the time of exposure. If you stop or slow down for the moment of exposure your subject will be out of or almost of your fame of view.

Your not buying film or processing film so pracrice on traffic, cats, dogs, kids or birds.

The good shot will have the subject almost frozen and the back ground streaking to the subjects rear.

Good luck and keep clicking/posting

BiLL

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 12:32 PM   #9

From your description the bird sounds like a house finch.

Re your avitar, is that mini Italian greyhound (I thinks thats what they are called)?

BiLL
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 2:52 PM   #10

The squirrels use the feeder too but that just gives me a chance to get squirrel shots!! I have two feeders up right now in hot weather...One on a shepards hook that is a tubular shaped feeder and another one home made by me specifically for squirrels! The birds feed from the squirrel feeder when squirrels are not around and the tube feeder is harder for the squirrelsto feed from so they pretty much leave it alone! A hint if you buy bird feed,,,, get black oil sunflower seed! They love it and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg! I buy a critter feed for the squirrels but they will eat the sunflower seeds too!

Dawg