Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jul 17, 2006, 10:34 AM   #1

Hey guys, I'm currently on a search for a new compact camera to carry around for everyday use. (The P850 is a bit bulky). So I of course look to Kodak's V series. I'm expecting the new V610 to be a bit out of my price range, so I turned to the V570.

So I was looking at it, 5x zoom, ISO up to 800, Lithium Battery. It looks great... until I saw the part about it not having a viewfinder. Ouch. So I wanted your opinions on this. I know it's becoming mainstream to compose pictures with the LCD screen. But I don't. I have always used my viewfinder and I like it, I'm not nearly as shaky, it's just all around better.

So I looked at Kodak's other camera. They are all bigger, not as sleek looking, just not something I want to carry around. And I am tempted to jump ship and buy a Casio Exilm. But I've had good results from Kodak. So basically, I just want your opinions, will I suffer much from losing the viewfinder or will I get used to using the LCD screen? My hardcore nature stuff will still be using the P850, this will be more snapshots of my friends and whatnot. So, do I ditch Kodak for Casio, or try and live with Kodak and there lack of a viewfinder?
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2006, 10:55 AM   #2

Personally I couldn't do without my viewfinder. There are many times outdoors in bright sunlight that my LCD washes out (Z7590) and I need to use the viewfinder - especially when the sun is mostly at my back. Also, I am more comfortable framing some pictures using the viewfinder. I wouldn't buy a camera without a viewfinder. Just my opinion.

Steve W.
on30trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 11:40 AM   #3

It will suffer from bright sunlight as well as the shakes. I don't know why in the world they take the viewfinder away???!!!!! Dumb!! May save a little but the photo's will suffer as a result! This leads to folks getting bad photo's and dissing the Kodak brand! I know some folks refuse to use a viewfinder but that's the uninitiated spot shooters not the hobbiest or fanatics! The LCD is nice at night for long exposures using a tripod but I always use a viewfinder for ALL my daytime shots...It's just the best way to do it! I even made a rubber eyepiece so I get a clear shot in bright sun..especially when it's behind me! Here is another suggestion for you...I bought the wife a C340 for Christmas so she could shoot some while I'm out shooting. It's a great little compact camera and it has a viewfinder! I can fit it in my pocket and don't even know it's there! She keeps it in her purse almost all the time! Wonderful photos..Some I've posted here for her! There are even some better ones in the C-series than her's. Great little cameras for spot shooting!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 11:49 AM   #4

Thanks for the tips Bigdawg! Much appreciated as always. I guess the V series is out... they're just such slick little cameras, it pains me to have to avoid them. Oh well, I will go check out a review for theC340. Thanks again for the help. I have quite awhile before I can buy this camera (money is not abundant at the age of 15), but I'd like to get a good idea of what kind of camera I should be looking at.

Edit: I just took a look at that line of cameras. The C663 (newest in the line) is looking quite appealing at the moment. I will miss that wide angle on the V570 though. Oh well. Now comes the harder part, convincing myself to spend money I don't have on a second camera, haha.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 1:22 PM   #5

I too am a viewfinder user. But seem to have had pretty good luck with the V610. I slip it in my front pocket when I take the dog for a walk. I'm pretty shaky when it comes to holding a camera out in front of my face, but if you brace your elbows on your body, or hold them in tight you cantrol it pretty well. Also it's not as if you can't take the shot again (unless it's a once in a life timer). I always take a least 2 shots of everything I shoot when using using the V610 (the others too) it's not as if you are wasting any money.
As with any big purchase you should always seek out a tester, so you can see how it works for you.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck on your search.
Steve
syoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 9:05 PM   #6

Well after a trip to Future Shop today, I decided several things. The V610 is too much money. And the V570 only has two benefits over the other cameras I'm looking at. It is Kodak, and it has the Wide Angle. As tempting at those are, logic, money, and my need for a viewfinder drove me to the Canon section and one of there Digital Elph S series camera's is probably what I'm going for.

I hope you guys can forgive me somehow, haha. And Bigdawg, I did check out the C series but although they were a nice size, they just didn't quite offer everything the Canon camera's did.

Thanks for the help all.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 12:58 AM   #7

I just wish you good luck with which ever one you choose! Though I love my Kodak camera, a photographer should go with the one that suits them best,,,no matter the brand! Post a photo or two when you get the new one!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:09 PM   #8

Haha, will do Big Dawg. However, logic has taken over here. I could spend the money now and delay my new car a month, or I could wait unil November for the camera (birthday present) and get the car early. Car winsBut I will definatly post pictures once I get it... maybe even on the Kodak board... I hope nobody shoots me for that,
Old Jul 20, 2006, 10:04 AM   #9

My colleague just got back with the V610 from india and she said that getting used to the LCD was not that big a deal.

The LCD is needed for in-camera stitching of three photos to make a panoramic. plues, the 23mm is so wide, you just point it in the right direction and you will get the picture.:lol:

you may want to try it in the store before you decide!

best of luck!
kcmargulies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 1:39 PM   #10

We bought our son a V570 because I have long felt that there are a lot more situations where a wide-angle lens is useful than a long tele. Hence my own choice is a Kodak P880.

I didn't realize it didn't have an optical finder until we used it, and I agree it is a loss. However, I triedthe cameraand loved it!. Most likely they left it off because of their ultra-wide capability and panoramic stitching. I wouldn't trade the panoramic feature alone for the optical finder!

I have done panoramas with a Canon SD-320 and my Kodak P880. It's doable, but very hard to position the series so they can be stitched on the computer. And retakes are generally out of the question. The V570 does it automatically, in-camera, on the spot!

Yes, the viewfinder is hard to see in some lighting conditions. And yes, I prefer peeping through a window. But most non-photographers prefer the arm's length viewfinder. Have you noticed how the waiter takes your picture when y0u hand him the camera? So maybe this is a matter of habit.

Anyway, all choices involve tradeoffs. Good luck!

Bob
Profk is offline   Reply With Quote