Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jul 19, 2006, 12:28 PM   #1

So last year I bought the DX7630. It's a great camera and I really like it. I am wanting more though and am looking to upgrade. I'm not quite sure if I should go with the P880 or the P850. Or should I wait for the new P712 to come out? Decisions, descisions! :?

niki
scrappynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2006, 12:54 PM   #2

It depends of what you will be shooting!!

If you plan to take landscapes pictures go for the p880..

For wildlife pictures, moon shots and many pictures you need good zoom, I would go for thep850 because when the p712 will appear in stores, the price of the p850 is going to drop... (There is no big improvements between the p850 and p712)

Boily
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 8:17 PM   #3

I agree with Boily ! The price of the 850 is soon going to be such a bargain that it will be hard to turn down!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 11:31 AM   #4

The P850 is probably the best as an all around camera out of those three.

The P712 is VERY similar to the P850 for twice the price, so unless money is no object, you can rule out the P712.

The P880 is good for a few things. Wide Angle Images like Boily said, so vast landscapes, but it is also worse for photographing other wildlife and such. It also gives high resolution images, so if you want to print out 20" x 30" pictures, the P880 might be necessary.

The P850 is good for close ups, nature photography (when animals might be shy getting close). While I can capture good landscapes with it, you can't always capture the WHOLE landscape. So I personally highly recommend the P850, but not if you shoot exclusively landscapes.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 3:09 PM   #5

Well, I'm not too keen on the price for the P712 but it's wishful thinking, lol. After all the research, opinions, and reviews and the photos I've seen on here, I think I'll be the proud owner of the P850 very soon! Thanks! :-)

Niki
scrappynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 8:33 PM   #6

Great choice my friend! I look forward to seeing you around the boards!

I suppose you are already a photographer, I just began taking pictures a month and a bit ago with the P850 as a starter camera. Not even close to understanding all it's features. And it still impresses me daily. Haha.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 6:09 AM   #7

exactly the same for me morag, but i am pleased with the P850. One thing i'd say is that i'm from the UK and the P850 is arount £270-300 but after some searcing i brought it from america through ebay for around £130 (inc P&P). The person was reputable and it was a good saving, so might be worth looking into, but if your in my situation i don't think i'm covered by a warrenty, so best not drop it!

Lewis
LewisSpeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 10:08 AM   #8

Good Choice Nik

I hope you will be posting some of your pictures here!!

:|

Boily
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 5:29 PM   #9

Well, my feeling is that there are more times you will need ultra wide angle than super tele. In the old days I used to carry(!) a Nikomat, 200mm, 85mm, 52mm, 35mm, and 20mm lenses. I found I used the 35mm at least 3 times as often as the 85, and used the 200 almost never. The 20mm was a lot of fun, but I drifted out of the SLR scene shortly after I bought it.

I bought the P880 as soon as I could, because the coverage of 24 to 140mm is exactly what I had been waiting for, and I still think so.

Ironically, I have just started to take wild bird pictures out of m kitchen window, and came to this site for info on accessory teleconverter lenses. I am actually considering getting a P850 ($299 LIST) instead of a 1.4x teleconverter and adapter. I'd get 432mm instead of 298mm for an extra $130. What a deal!

Nevertheless, for most pictures you will want to take, I'm sure you would find24mm on the P880 vs36mm on the P850 much more useful than 432 mm on the P850 vs 140mm on the P880.

The BARGAIN price of the P850 is pretty darn compelling, though!

My $0.02

Bob
Profk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 6:56 PM   #10

ProfK, your post sort of emphasizes, in my mind, that it all depends on what you plan on taking pictures of. You say that you find the wide angle far more useful, however I have only twice found that my angle wasn't wide enough and have at least 1/3 of my pictures using 250mm+ of my zoom (many at full zoom). I take almost no shots without zooming at all, except for landscapes.

So to the topic creator, this depends HEAVILY on what kind of a photographer you are.