Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jul 22, 2006, 1:12 PM   #1

Hi all,

I will be getting my P880 back soon from Kodak "thanks Ron" and I am looking at buying a teleconverter has anybody had experience with non kodak tele converters for the P880?

Thanks
JimWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2006, 1:32 PM   #2

The only thing I know aboutthe p880 tconsis that the tcon17 (1.7x) from olympuswon't work with the p880 !!

I think the best purchase is the kodak 1.4x tcon !!
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 1:43 PM   #3

Thanks Boily,

That is the way I will probably go (kodak), there are tons of teleconverters out there but I am not willing to experiment with them, i will take the advice of those who have gone before me.

Jim W
Old Jul 23, 2006, 12:53 PM   #4

OOOOooops!

I was about to buy an Olympus 1.7x teleconverter for my P880.

Can you elaborate on why it won't work on the P880? Is it just a problem at the wide setting?

Bob
Profk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 3:14 PM   #5

The tcon17 won't work because the p880 have a 24mm wide-angle and don't have enough zoom to get rid of the dark corners (vignetting)... Unless you use the digital zoom every time (don't forget that with the digi zoom you loose some quality)

Boily
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 6:06 PM   #6

Thanks, Boily!

I did read your other posts after I saw this thread. I guess the 1.4x will do--gives me about a 200mm lens. All I can handhold, really.

I can't figure out how the adapter ringwill goon the P880. My old Nikon Coolpix 880 (coincidence!) had a thread around the lens base for an extender. The only thread I see on the P880 is the 52mm lens ring. Strikes me as a little weak to hold much more than a filter...

About digital zoom: It's as welcome as a terrorist at a Bar Mitzvah! I routinely disable it as the first step in using a new camera. One time I was taking some interesting flower photos, and used the tele mode to frame the picture. Looked great in the viewfinder, but actually had gone into Digital X4 mode automatically when I hit the optical limit. The photos looked pixellated when I tried to enlarge them. I had 1.5 Mpx pictures instead of 3 Mpx.

Had I known, I would have just gotten closer. In-camera digital zoom does nothing I can't do on my computer, with better control. And it's irreversible. That's when I read the manual to find how to change the default digital zoom to OFF!

I can see it on a camcorder, where very few people use software capable of zooming a scene. But unless you are NEVER going to put the photos in a computer, it's useless on a still camera (except to confuse customers.)

Sorry about the rant.

Bob

Old Jul 24, 2006, 8:01 PM   #7

This is probably the wrong topic to point this out, but the P850 (and I'm assuming the P880 as well) has a feature that makes the zooming stop when you hit the optical limit and forces you to let go of the zoom button and press it again to use digital, so you still have digital easily available when you need it (basically for photos you have no plans of blowing up) and you won't use it by accident.

Profk wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, Boily!

I did read your other posts after I saw this thread. I guess the 1.4x will do--gives me about a 200mm lens. All I can handhold, really.

I can't figure out how the adapter ringwill goon the P880. My old Nikon Coolpix 880 (coincidence!) had a thread around the lens base for an extender. The only thread I see on the P880 is the 52mm lens ring. Strikes me as a little weak to hold much more than a filter...

About digital zoom: It's as welcome as a terrorist at a Bar Mitzvah! I routinely disable it as the first step in using a new camera. One time I was taking some interesting flower photos, and used the tele mode to frame the picture. Looked great in the viewfinder, but actually had gone into Digital X4 mode automatically when I hit the optical limit. The photos looked pixellated when I tried to enlarge them. I had 1.5 Mpx pictures instead of 3 Mpx.

Had I known, I would have just gotten closer. In-camera digital zoom does nothing I can't do on my computer, with better control. And it's irreversible. That's when I read the manual to find how to change the default digital zoom to OFF!

I can see it on a camcorder, where very few people use software capable of zooming a scene. But unless you are NEVER going to put the photos in a computer, it's useless on a still camera (except to confuse customers.)

Sorry about the rant.

Bob
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:59 PM   #8

profk

there is an aluminum ring you can remove to use the adapter tube (consult your manual for a better idea, but it's on the end of the manual zoom ring, black with a thin silver line and it may not come off easily at first). This is a 55mm mount, and you MUST use the adapter. the 52mm filter thread at the end of the lens is not designed for converters, they're too heavy and you will damage your camera if you try this!

the olympus tcon17 doesn't necessarily cause huge amounts of vignetting, it's mostly a large reduction in image quality. the tcon17 works great with the 850 and 6490, but results I've seen on another forum comparing the kodak tcon with the olympus, and just the straight lens, the olympus tcon is sorely disappointing in clarity and color depth. I have for quite some time considered a raynox tcon (there are 3 candidates I liked) but have not heard anything of their quality in combination with ANY kodak so I was leery of purchasing. The DCR-1850 seemed to be the best all-around and a good price, the DCR-2020 offered the best zoom (2.2x) and great quality but at the highest price (close to $200), the DCR-1540 offered the best quality at a mid-range price.

I made the decision however, to instead save my money and I will be getting a dSLR. I found the P880's low-light performance to be rather poor and that's what a good 60-70% of my pictures are taken in. At ISO 200 and even sometimes at 100 I would get noticeable noise even on the camera's LCD, and I could never stand to bump it up to 400. It's still a great camera in well-lit situations and the zoom is just right for non-tripod use in (again) well-lit conditions, where your exposure can be set at 1/100 or shorter.

Morag, the 880, having a manual zoom ring, will not go to digital zoom unless absolutely intended to. There is a separate button entirely for this function, which I found to be very convenient for low-light! I could leave my lens set at wide-angle (24-28mm) to allow my apeture to be at f2.8, and then use the 1.4x digi zoom (the only digi zoom level I'd really recommend using). That way I wouldn't have to up the exposure time, and it greatly reduced the blurriness I was getting. Digi zoom used to be GAWD awful, but over the years it's improved dramatically and at lower levels an untrained eye (and even a trained eye!) will not notice any distortion. At least, this is the case with the P880, the variance with other brands and even other cameras within a brand can be great. Yes, digital zoom is an oversold feature of a camera, but you have to remember that it is software controlling it, and so the limitation in quality has less to do with the camera physically and more to do with how good the guy sitting in a cubical @ eastman-kodak, typing line after line of code is at his job! Even though lens technology has a good 150 year jump on the digital, in the next few years you will see images using digital zoom with previously unimagineable clarity.
wizbummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 2:24 AM   #9

If you are ready to pay $140 for a Kodak 1.4x converter togive your P880 a 200mm f:5.6 lens, would yoube willing tospend an extra 90 bucksand geta 400+ mm optically-stabilized zoom lens--plus an extra charger and battery FREE?

I realized I wasn't enthusiastic about the 1.4xconverter. Years ago I had a Nikon 2x converter for my Coolpix 880 which I very seldom used because it was cumbersome to swap on and off, and didn't really make the difference I wanted. But now that I suddenly developed an interest in nature photography, I needed SOMETHING!

So I figured out the above deal. And ordered a P850! This works because Kodak just dropped the MSRP on the P850 to $299. I found most dealers were out of stock or charging prices based on the old MSRP, but Newegg.com had "Manufacturer Recertified" P850s for $240! That is an amazing bargain just for the lens alone!

I do not planto carry both cameras on me. For most occasions, the P880 is ideal, with a perfect balance of focal lengths on each side of normal (50mm equivalent). But when I do nature photography, the 432mm P850 lens is simply a different animal from the P880 with converter. When I travel, I willoccasionally pack both cameras, but that's still smaller and lighter (and cheaper) than a full-size DSLR with two lenses to give me 24 to 432mm focal lengths. That's an 18 to 1 total range!

It's great that the P880 and P850 are "sister" cameras, so I can use the P850's battery for either camera as needed, and its charger as a spare. No need to pack a second charger, and my P20 flash works on either.

I started by thinking how great it would be to be able to buy the P850 lens alone. But even if you could, it's really a nuisance to have to swap lenses. I once lost a beautiful Nikkor 85mm f:1.8(!) overboard changing SLR lenses in a small boat.:sad:

Thanks to you all for giving me ideas and opinions that helped me"think outside the box!"

Bob

P.S. If you want to take advantage of this terrific $90 deal :-),you'd better act fast. Even though Kodak.com lists the P850 as in production, the price drop, the new P712, and the lack of availability of the camera means to me that it won't be around much longer. The P712 is better, but not enough to make me spend an extra 260 bucks on it!
Old Jul 29, 2006, 1:03 PM   #10

Thanks to all for the insight....I think if I was going to do a lot of nature photography I would have chosen to buy a different camera...I not sure if the 1.4 X tele will really help me...most of my photos are landscape, still life, and architectural.