Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:31 PM   #11

It's probably at least a bit smaller than the P850, that was the only thing I didn't really like about it, that thing is a beast. Haha. Although I do like the SLR-like body, makes me feel special.

Perhaps you should buy a coat with really deep pockets:-) That works occasionally.

scrappynik wrote:
Quote:
bill2468 wrote:
Quote:
Use it to tenerize cheaper cuts of meat

:lol:Bill! That's what my snazzy knives are for...but it's an idea should they become dull lol

It's not really that compact...there is no way possible I could get it into my pocket unfortunatly.I think I'll just hang on to it for the time being. Thanks for all your opinions!

Nik
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:50 PM   #12

Since going from 35mm to digital I have also down scaled my camera bag(s).

My largest bag is smaller than a car battery and holds a digital video camera and either a z7590 and a Oly T-con, lens tissue and both instruction books, memory chips. a spare battery, small binocsand my cell phone.

I like touse padded/insulated lunch bags that have shoulder straps and external zipper pockets.

BiLL

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 8:16 PM   #13

You might want to keep it for a B&W camera. You could just set it for black & white and leave it that way. This is what I did with a old nikon point and shoot camera.
tealblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:05 PM   #14

I've always been a fan of the 7630, very durable camera with a nice, comfortable grip that's small enough to carry in a handbag. My only gripes were the battery door can be damaged easily, and those damn plastic bits they have at the top and bottom of the lens, what purpose do they serve other than to make it hard to clean???

Definately keep it. The Li-ion battery is interchangeable with the 850 so you'll already be set up with a spare battery and charger (yay!), and it makes for a great always-with-you camera, even if it's not pocket-sized like the new V-series. You probably won't want to or be able to carry your 850 around with you everywhere you go, and you'll stumble upon a great photo-op and say "damn, I wish I had ANY camera right now". That's happened to me countless times now!
wizbummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:12 PM   #15

wizbummer wrote:
Quote:
. My only gripes were the battery door can be damaged easily, and those darn plastic bits they have at the top and bottom of the lens, what purpose do they serve other than to make it hard to clean???

Oh the battery door can drive me batty some days! And I really have no clue as to the purpose of those plastic pieces by the lens either, lol.

I really like the camera and have no major complaints. I was at first just thinking of selling it so I could buy a tcon lens but I think I'd rather have the two cameras right now so I'm definatly going to keep it :-)

Nik
scrappynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 12:55 AM   #16

scrappynik wrote:
Quote:
Ok, so I am more than likely getting my P850 this weekend But what to do with my DX7630? I paid over $300 last year for it and I checked Ebay and I couldn't believe it when I saw some sold for only $30 (most were more but geesh! Thirty bucks?!)!! For that amount, I might as well keep it! So what would YOU do? Keep it as a "backup" or try to sell it? Is there someplace (other than Ebay) where I could try to sell it? Any advise is appreciated! :-)

Nik
Why not give it to a kid (son, daughter, niece, nephew, neighbor kid) and watch their eyes light up! You might spark an interest in photography they never knew they had!

junebug1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 7:31 AM   #17

I agree wholeheartedly with Junebug. I got started in photography as a kid when 2 German camera importers donated some used darkroom equipment to me. Not to mention their time and advice. The return is much greater and fulfilling than trying to get a few bucks on ebay.
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 8:17 AM   #18

junebug1701 wrote:
Quote:
Why not give it to a kid

My kids (ages 6 & 11) both know how to use it (auto settings) and love to take pics. I am thinking of getting them each thier own digi-cam for Christmas this year...they need NO toys, lol. :idea:

Nik
scrappynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 9:29 AM   #19

I just love my 7630, my wife does also,she uses it mostly, and gets great pics especially indoors,usually set to (party mode) and sharpness up. I haven't found a more versatile camera yet, the pics are usually sharper, & more colorful, then any other camera I've had, or seen.She never fails to get a compliment yet. We would never think about getting rid of it, but if that were so, I would give it to a relative, or friend. I also have a 7440 that can't compare with indoor pics.
MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 8:57 AM   #20

Tealblue:

Unless I'm missing something, there's no reason to EVER take a BW photo with a digital camera. Well, maybe if you go right from the camera to a printer without using a computer. But that's for people who are not interested in creative photography, as you obviously are.

Your image-editing software will have a way to correct colors, and a slider called something like Saturation. Move the slider to change the intensity of all colors in the picture. If you reduce saturation to zero, you have BW. So you can easily preview any picture to see if it gains in BW.

Most programs have a Mode or Convert feature which changes the picture from color (RGB) to Grayscale. That works also. Black and White mode is not the same as Grayscale; it gives you a graphic without gray gradations. Graydations?

Remember that there's a Cancel or Undo feature so you can remove the last change you made if you want. The Ctrl and Z keys pressed simultaneously should perform an Undo as well.

I suggest you use the Save As feature. in the File menu (top left of the window.)What I do is save a new copy of every picture I want to modify BEFORE I do anything to it! For example, if the image is called "100-1234", I'd open it in the software and Save As "100-1234BW". Now I will have two identical copies on my computer. I would play with the image and finally Save. When I Save, the computer will have two NON-identical files. One is the original, and the second is the modified one.

By creating the copy FIRST, I protect myself from accidentally overwriting the original. If you just Save, or answer Yes to"Do you want to save the picture" youPERMANENTLY change the original. If I REALLY don't want the original anymore, I can delete it anytime. But I never do that because keeping it gives me the chance to go back and rework it. Yes, I am a pack rat.:-)

While you are at it, do explore the other creative features of your software. You are going to LOVE it!

Bob
Profk is offline   Reply With Quote