Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

View Poll Results: Were you a photographer before digital cameras were widely available?
Yes 11 61.11%
No 7 38.89%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 28, 2006, 8:12 AM   #21

KC... I'm certain the P880 and the V570 would make excellent real estate cameras, but for now, the preferred camera used by my company is the 8 megapixel Nikon CoolPix 8400. Takes beautiful, undistorted wide angle interior shots and incredibly sharp and detailed exterior shots. And it's a real workhorse, easily standing up to high volume work in this harsh New Mexico climate. A friend of mine from another local real estate company just grabbed a couple of them as they soon will no longer be available. (Sorry, fellow Kodak lovers... just keeping things real)
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 6:32 PM   #22

To start off, I have been a big fan of Nikon film cameras for many years because of their consistent quality and because they rarely would obsolete a product.

However, I was quite disapponted with earlier Nikon Coolpix cameras we bought. Our Coolpix 800 died in 8 months and was replaced by a Coolpix 880. That one died in another few months and was replaced. That second Coolpix 880 has been reliable and is still working for my son David. Glad we bought an extended warranty!

As far as resolution, my wife's Canon S-320, a similar class of camera, has clearly superior optical quality to the Coolpix 880. I found that annoying.

This is not a big enough sample to make a judgement of Nikon vs. Canon vs. Kodak, but clearly it shows that, as in investments, past performance is not a guarantee of future results.

The V570 may not be in the same class as the Nikon 8400, but it has a wider zoom range and costs a couple of hundred bucks less. It's also much more convenient toslip into a pocket or purse.

I really like the Kodak V570 we bought our son Dan for its ultrawidelens and its in-camera panoramic capability. I think those features could be very useful for real-estate purposes. As far as reliability, I think it's not predictable in lower-end cameras.

But that's just a guess. I'd buy an extended warranty and try not to drop the camera :-)

Bob

Profk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 6:32 PM   #23

To start off, I have been a big fan of Nikon film cameras for many years because of their consistent quality and because they rarely would obsolete a product.

However, I was quite disapponted with earlier Nikon Coolpix cameras we bought. Our Coolpix 800 died in 8 months and was replaced by a Coolpix 880. That one died in another few months and was replaced. That second Coolpix 880 has been reliable and is still working for my son David. Glad we bought an extended warranty!

As far as resolution, my wife's Canon S-320, a similar class of camera, has clearly superior optical quality to the Coolpix 880. I found that annoying.

This is not a big enough sample to make a judgement of Nikon vs. Canon vs. Kodak, but clearly it shows that, as in investments, past performance is not a guarantee of future results.

The V570 may not be in the same class as the Nikon 8400, but it has a wider zoom range and costs a couple of hundred bucks less. It's also much more convenient toslip into a pocket or purse.

I really like the Kodak V570 we bought our son Dan for its ultrawidelens and its in-camera panoramic capability. I think those features could be very useful for real-estate purposes. As far as reliability, I think it's not predictable in lower-end cameras.

But that's just a guess. I'd buy an extended warranty and try not to drop the camera :-)

Bob

Profk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 5:45 AM   #24

What can I say profk.... I have a sentimental fondness for the CoolPix 8400. When you find a tool that does a specific job extremely well, you keep using it. But I suspect our photog will be updating his cameras within the next year... I'll keep you guys informed about what he chooses to supercede the 8400. I'm always very interested in what the pros "in the trenches" use on a daily basis as their incomes depend on reliable equipment. This should be a topic for an entirely new thread... I think I'll start it.
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote