Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

View Poll Results: Were you a photographer before digital cameras were widely available?
Yes 11 61.11%
No 7 38.89%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 25, 2006, 1:11 AM   #1

Hey all,

I know that some of you are long time photographers, who were obviously into it before digicams became affordable (or were even invented). So anyway, who here didn't get into photography until it went digital?

I wasn't into photography until just recently, not even 2 months ago, and I never even considered a film camera, both due to the price (I have shot over 1500 pictures in under 2 months, that would cost a fair bit in terms of film and developement) and I don't like how hard the photos are to edit.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2006, 1:48 AM   #2

I voted "NO" because all i've ever done is take snaps on holiday with either one of those cheapo film cameras or used someone elses camera on holiday.
12noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 1:59 AM   #3

Ya, I have went through a disposable camera once, and a long time ago I did actually shoot a roll of film of two on an old camera, but I never actually got into it.

I wouldn't really call myself a photographer at the time because I didn't really care how the camera worked, I had no zoom on the camera and wasn't even aware there were cameras with zoom:?, and I really just didn't have any idea how to make a photo turn out well.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 7:18 AM   #4

My first "serious" camera was a Canon AE-1 SLR, which I bought used in 1983. At about the same time, my dad bought a new AE-1 Program, and we accumulated some lenses and stuff. I ran through a few rolls of film a week, and got a few gems and a lot of "why did I take this?" shots.
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 8:34 AM   #5

Got my first film camera when I was about 7, a Brownie box camera. Became interested in photography and got into 35mm in 1969 because my high school had an exceptional photography program. I took a semester off from college in 1976 and worked as a commercial photographer's assistant, building sets and setting up lighting for merchandise catalog pictures. Got my first digital in 1998. Always more of a technician than an artist, I take very few photos nowadays and save perhaps 0.5% of them. I spend a lot of time teaching real estate agents the basics of using their digital cameras.
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 8:44 AM   #6

I've had many cameras over the years. My first "real" one was a Canon Rebel 2000 35MM SLR. After I bought it, I took 5 different photography classes through my local college and took a private class too. There's nothing like shooting a roll of film and getting into the darkroom and processing your own prints! I absolutly loved it and would go through between 2 and 4 rolls of film a week! I did have a cheapy 1mp Kodak digital at the same time but rarely used it...it was more for taking pics of my Ebay junk. Then I got a 3mp digi-cam and I still used my film camera more. I was one who said they would never go digital! lol Now I have a 6mp and use that only while my film camera collects dust. I have a few vintage film cameras (canon's and kodaks) as well but never use them.

Nik
scrappynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 8:53 AM   #7

I got my first Kodak instamatic at 12 started develoing film at same time. Thirty seven years later it is all digital. I have a boat load of film cameras, from an old Pentax Spotmatic, Mamiya Twin lens professional, speed graf.., minox, to the Canon AE-1. I also have a whole darkroom with two enlargers a dozen lens etc..

Now I have Kodak P880 and soon to buy an Epson printer. I will propably alos buy a tru Digital SLR but will still use the P880 I get more use out of the wide angle lens. My photography professor in college hated telephoto he would always say "if you need alarger image get closer" but that is hard to do if your shooting the moon or wildlife.

JimWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:46 AM   #8

I don't qualify Morag as I started with a Kodak Brownie back in 1956 or 7! I waited patiently for years till Digital finally got good enough and cheap enough to move over to it! The DX6490 at 269 dollars did it for me and even though I have some film cameras it's hard to get excited with shooting film anymore! LOL

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:56 AM   #9

Wow, you must have waited a few years (or decades) since 1956 for digitals to get that cheap Dawg! :lol:

The first digital my family had (I never used it) was probably 5-6 years ago. Some old Canon model with 2MP and 2x Optical Zoom.... I think it cost us $700. :?

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
I don't qualify Morag as I started with a Kodak Brownie back in 1956 or 7! I waited patiently for years till Digital finally got good enough and cheap enough to move over to it! The DX6490 at 269 dollars did it for me and even though I have some film cameras it's hard to get excited with shooting film anymore! LOL

Dawg
Old Jul 25, 2006, 11:43 AM   #10

Chas, I'm curious, have you or do you have experience with 360 degree camera that takes panorama that a viewer can pan around a room with?? I have seen it several times for viewing potential home sales. I would think it would be great fun to use.

Ken S.
kselfrid2 is offline   Reply With Quote