Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jul 27, 2006, 8:50 AM   #1

i went to the london car show yesterday and i took about 200 pics of weird andwonderful cars but some cars about 20 pics of the 200 came out shockingly unfocused this was very dissapointing as i havent had much bluury pictures with the p850. I always half pressed the shutter, i did take the majority of pics via the Led screen as i was walking aout constantly but this shouldent have caused a problem should it? do any of you guys get blurry and unfocused pictures with the p850 and how do some of you overcome this problem? thanks .red.
Red Royalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2006, 9:13 AM   #2

I've just put my photos online that i've taken with my Kodak P850.

http://www.tigers.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/index.htm

Some of these are a bit out of focus, but i should imagine i will get better. I've just bought Photoshop Elements 4 though and from what i've read, i should be able to make the photos i've put online better, just by using the software.
12noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 12:00 AM   #3

Well, RR, without seeing the pictures ot knowing your settings, here are couple of tips:

o Is this focus or motion blur? If you were not using flash, your camera might choose a slow shutter speed. this gives a "directional" blurring. Brace yourself to hold steady and make sure the shutter speed is appropriate. Rule of thumb: 1/focal length. If you use the lens at 60mm equivalent, use 1/60th second. At 35mm, you can get away with 1/30th. at 200 mm you need 1/200th, which is VERY unlikely indoors without flash (or out of flash range).

o If it's uniformly blurred at the subject of interest, it may be that the autofocus system was unable to get a good reading, or it may have chosen the wrong thing to focus on. The P cameras measure the contrast of the target and focus to the maximum. If the focus point is on a smooth hood or door, there's nothing to focus on. Practice focusing on something contrasty the same distance away. Holdthe release halfway down-or press AF Lock to keep the setting, then frame the picture and press harder to take the shot. Use "P" mode and chose the center focus mode to make this easier. If yousee the blue frame turn green focusing on a door handle, say, the picture of the door should be in focus.

o The center-focusing mode is also advantageous because YOU get to pick the focus point as opposed to the camera making the decision. There is also a kool mode that lets you joystick around the viewfinder and tell the camera to focus on the branch at the top left, say, while centering the lake scene. Too tricky until you get some experience.

Take lots of pictures and analyze them, manual in hand, trying various feautures. Lots faster and much cheaper than experimenting with a film camera.

Good luck!

Bob
Profk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 7:17 AM   #4

thanks very much mate ill keep that in mind , my settings were all different as i was taking them all in auto so the camera decided, and if the camea cannot focus on anything ill go to centre focus.
Red Royalty is offline   Reply With Quote