Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jul 27, 2006, 3:49 PM   #1

Hello everyone! I got my P850 last Fall and I have just now found your forum. I have enjoyed lurking here for the past few days. I have searched the old posts for info on filters for the P850 and while I have found some good info, I still have a couple of things I need to clarify. I have the Kodak 55mm adapter and the Kodak tcon and wcon lenses. I plan to purchase a set of Tiffen or similar mid-priced filters. Am I correct that 55mm filters are the only choice for this setup? I assume I can stack them between the adpater and the accessory lenses. (?) I read something that led me to believe that the P880 could take 52mm filters attached directly to the lens without an adapter. (Does the P880 have a threaded lens tube?) Whether or not this is true, it isn't the case for the P850. To add to my confusion, I have seen some cheaper filters advertised for the P850 as being 52mm. I assume these come with a step-down adapter since the camera itself is a 53mm thread, correct? Or am I reading something wrong?

Thanks for any input. I appreciate the friendly and helpful nature of this forum!

Here is the obligatory 1st-post photo. Not a great shot, but not too bad considering I took it through my glass front door on full auto mode.
Attached Images

Revelator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2006, 4:35 PM   #2

Get the Tiffen's or if you've the money, get the Hoyas or the B+W filters! Stay away from unknowns on EBay! Please!!!! I've seen some true horror stories there! If you find a good name brand there for a good price and it is a 55mm filter then jump on it! Yes you'll need to stack them between the lens and the camera! I for the life of me don't know why folks can't just buy a 55mm size even if it costs a extra dollar or two! Just has never made sense to me! Tiffens have worked for me for nearly thirty years now. They are a very good mid-priced brand....But for gosh sakes stay with the 55mm size and forget the step up or stepdown adapters and the off size filters! Above all ....Have a good time!!

Dawg

PS that is one fine phot there...saying that ...try resizing your photo's to 800X 600 size so folks won't have to scroll so much! And keep up the good work cause you seem to have the knack for this!
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 4:53 PM   #3

Thanks for the comments. I resized the pic to try to keep it in the same ZIP code as the post! (Didn't realize it wouldn't auto-size it... 1st post and all...)

I am not concerned about saving a few dollars, I want to get good filters. I just wasn't sure if stacking the 55mm was the best way to accomplish the setup or if there was some other preferred method that I wasn't aware of.

Thanks again! I'll post some more photos soon.
Revelator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 7:18 PM   #4

Yep you'll need to stack them and with the wideangle lens you may get just a little bit of vignetting (that's the darkcorners that show up in a photo). Or if you wish to try it here is a link to my favorite filter system! They can't be used with either of those lens but as a stand alone filter system it can't be beat in my book!!! LOL Now all I need is mo' muney!!! LOLOL Yeah mo' muney....mo' filteirs!! LOLOL Anyway try this link!!

http://www.geocities.com/cokinfiltersystem/theguide.htm

PS the resize is just right!! And since My Ma' raised me to have good manners,,,Welcome to the forum! LOLOLOL

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 5:12 PM   #5

VERY nice photo, Rev.

What kind of filters are you interested in? I am using a 52mm Circular Polarizing filter and a UV filter on my P880.

FYI Buy.com (I am just a customer) lists the 55mm versions from Sunpak for $10.99 and $5.99, respectively. The Sunpak brand has been around for around as long as Tiffen, but either or both names may have been sold over the years.

I have a lot of old high-quality Nikon filters which seem visually identical to the Sunpaks. Barring lab tests, I'd say the low-cost filters are equivalent for all practical purposes. Tiffen and B&W cost about $40. And Leicas cost over $200.

You pays your money and you takes your choice. :-)

Bob

Profk is offline   Reply With Quote