Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jul 31, 2006, 6:22 PM   #1

I've been thinking about getting a monopod and I was wondering if you guys could recommend one. I actually like the idea of a combination hiking/walking stick with a camera mount at the end as I like to walk out into the desert with my faithful dog Stinky. Ideally, I'd like to find one that serves as a monopod, walking stick, fishing pole, javelin, pool cue, telescope, crowbar, kung-fu bowstaff and church key. But I'll settle for something simple too.
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2006, 6:29 PM   #2

I bought a CULLMANN 741 a month ago and I am happy with it !!

It cost around 35$ US

http://www.adorama.com/CU741.html?se...&item_no=1

Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 7:32 PM   #3

It might be worth considering that a folded tripod is pretty much a monopod.

If you must have a monpod, and you are handy, then a modified sword cane might satisfy your lustier needs as well. :-)

domang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 7:42 PM   #4

When you buy a mono or a tri pod you should keep the following in mind:

It should be long enough for not to have bend much to see the eye piece.

When fully extended for use the bottom section(s) should not be so thin that the monopod wobbles. A good mono/tri pod should extend more than you need to ensure it wont wobble

A ball socket is a must since you will not always use it straight up. At times you will have it extend a bit in front of you so you can pan/follow action.

A quick release on the ball socket is very helpfull.

Look at those made by:

SLIK, VELBON (GOOD COPY OF THE lEICA), BENBO (NOT BIMBO)

ADORAMA IN NYC HAS ONE UNDER THEIR NAME THAT HAS GOOD REVIEWS

BiLL

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 7:43 PM   #5

Here's a walking stick/monopod/tripod: http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl;js...amp;category=9

Not cheap but there may be competing products out there. Or other vendors of the same product.
domang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 9:06 PM   #6

I got a cool monopod/walking stick, that came as part of my swiss-gear tent that I bought at walmart for a whopping $30.

They were on clearance, and that was 3 weeks ago now, so I'm not sure they'll still have them... but it's worth checking out!

Heck, throw the tent away if you don't need it and just keep the stick, it's pretty well built and is telescoping, for $30 you can't find a better combination!
wizbummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 10:33 PM   #7

I think I'm gonna take Wizbummer's advice and check out WalMart.... Just coincidence that the new Super WalMart is just a few blocks from my new house. Actually we have 5 of them and 2 Sam's Clubs here in Albuquerque!

I'll consider Plan B options later. Thanks for all the responses!
Old Aug 1, 2006, 2:07 AM   #8

A little bit off-topic, but don't do what i did and bought a very small tripod (a table top tripod) that isn't any good at all. The camera is almost too big for it and i can't use the tilt and angle ball thingy at all because the camera becomes top heavy.

My idea was to get a small tripod that i could stand on a wall or something. One that i could take with me, that i could just about fit in my pocket. It turned out to be a bad idea and wasn't worth the money.
12noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 7:43 AM   #9

Wiz.... here's that tent/pole combo at WalMart... I'll probably drop in today after work and pick one up. Then I'll leave the tent at the Goodwill dropoff.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4697882
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:38 PM   #10

A follow up... I stopped by the local WalMart today and they didn't carry that particular Swiss-Gear Tent/Pole combo, but I wound up buying a generic monopod for $18 which nominally extends to 67" (in reality this puppy extended to 6 feet!). I'm 6'1'' and getting shorter in my old age so I think the length is adequate. I suspect its made by one of the well-known brands under private label to Walmart.** It's got a hiking pole style grip and wrist strap at the top end. It also has a gun mount accessory. Way cool! It seems very sturdy, but I'll find out how well it holds up next time I take Stinky into coyote country. And I'll let you guys know how it works as a Kendo sword.

**Identified: It's the Davis & Sanford Trailblazer Monopod