Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:50 AM   #11

Yeah. but, I can't get a new camera till Christmas. And I'm pretty sure the deadine is like 4-5 days before Christmas...for me to make a decision. We'll see how the prices are for the P712 by that time. If Kodak is smart, they'll drop the price for Christmas! :roll:

-En121
En121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 1:23 PM   #12

The P850 is a great camera, and in my opinion, it is a far better deal than the P712 for what you get.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 3:06 PM   #13

P712 is already at $450... I predict it will drop another $50 by the holiday season... And probably be offered with a free memory card or bag. The point is, Morag, if you are looking specifically for a 7 or 8 megapixel camera, it wouldn't make a difference if the price of P850s dropped another $100.

The P850 remains a superb camera but is now overpriced at $299. Looks like it's widely available at $265 U.S. or less.
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 3:57 PM   #14

Erm... 50$ not enough! >.< It has to drop to at least 100$. So I could get it for 350$. then I probally won't even be able to get an SD card for it.. Or a tri pod.... I would have to buy that stuff myself. but, I guess I could live with that. I'm really hoping it will be down to 300$. (fat chance...) Then tbhey would probally sell like hotcakes!

Otherwise, I'll probally go for the P850.

-En121
Old Aug 1, 2006, 5:41 PM   #15

Point taken, judging by the Topic Creators post, I dont' think it is worth it for him specifically, unless he is looking for high resolution camera (which I don't think he suggested). So keep that in mind when you buy it Topic Creator En121.

FaciaBrut wrote:
Quote:
P712 is already at $450... I predict it will drop another $50 by the holiday season... And probably be offered with a free memory card or bag. The point is, Morag, if you are looking specifically for a 7 or 8 megapixel camera, it wouldn't make a difference if the price of P850s dropped another $100.

The P850 remains a superb camera but is now overpriced at $299. Looks like it's widely available at $265 U.S. or less.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 6:06 PM   #16

Well, high resolution would help. But, not because I do big prints. Because it means I can scale down the photos more. For even better quality! Also, I would like the panorama stich mode. And the AF assist lamp. And the 7mp's. If the camera is 350$ at Christmas time. I'll probally get it.

But, the P850 is less, and I've seen some amazing shots with it! But, there are some improvements I like with the P712.

I think if the P712 is 350$ by Christmas, it'll be a great value for the money. With the 7mp's and what not.

But, I have heard there are some problems with noise for the P712. So, I guess I'll be waiting for some sample pictures and reviews.

Thanks guys. We'll see how it turns out!

-En121
Old Aug 1, 2006, 6:36 PM   #17

Can do. That's one of my favorite things about photography, taking the pictures, then showing them off!

-En121
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:41 PM   #18

You know....for most people, there is not a "100% perfect" camera out there....

When the time comes, check out the "black friday" ads (day after Thanksgiving). YOu can get some pretty amazing deals that day! :-)

scrappynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:26 PM   #19

Yeah. But, I'm not sure I really want the P712 anymore. Seems a little to noisy. Probally not worth the money...

Yeah...Black Friday...heh. they would probally have a really good deal...but, I have to wait till Christmas... <___<

Though, if they have the P850 going for like 190$ or lower, I might be able to get it early! XDDD

-En121
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:29 PM   #20

Hi, En121!

Here's my 2 cents worth: If you are interested in photography, the P850 is going to be just as good for you as the P712. Put the money you save into a tripod and a 1- or 2GB card (neither the P850 nor P880 will handle anything bigger.) Get some good editing software like Photoshop Elements with what's left and learn how to use it creatively.

Photoshop will let you stitch great panoramas, though not as easily and elegantly as the V570 (and therefpre hopefully the P712). The difference between 5 Mpx and 7 Mpx is very small. Remember that resolution is pixels per inch (along a line) but the number of pixels is a measure of total area. So the resolution isthe square root of Mpx. To get twice the resolution of 5 Mpx, you'd have to buy a 20 Mpx camera!

I believe the real difference between cameras is in lens quality. Look at a digital photo taken at 3 Mpx or better on your computer and zoom in. You will see loss of optical detail way before you can see pixellation--unless your picture was taken with a camera with a phenomenal lens. The P712 seems to use the same lens as the P850.

If you ever want to get a P850, you'd better hurry! I just got a refurb from Newegg.com for $240, but it seems like the supply is dwindling. I couldn't find a new one on line except at the old price $350 to $450. And I don't know if those were in stock.

Bob
Profk is offline   Reply With Quote