Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:48 PM   #21

Actually, we already have a tripod. (A REALLY nice one, at that.) I probally will get a new 1gb SD card.

Heh, I might have to get a new P850 from Kodak's site. Even though they don't have the best price. Dang. Also, as stated before, I have to wait till christmas...<_____<

But, 300$ is fine. (the limit is 400$ for me, this year. ) Then I can get a 1gb SD card for like 35$ or so. Then I think I'll get a card reader for my PC.

Also, I use Linux... And, I can't have Photoshop. However, I use GIMP. So, no real issues there. As long as Kodak.com has P850's, I should be able to get one.

Thanks.

-En121

Edit: (Daaaang, not even Kodak.com has them anymore..I might HAVE to get the P712... gosh I hope there's a price drop... )
En121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:22 PM   #22

I think I'll stay with my "Dinosaur" DX6490 for a while yet!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:30 PM   #23

Yeah. That's cool. But, you see, we have a relatively old Nikon Coolpix 2500 2 something megapixel digital camera. And, its really limited in terms of features, and stuff. So, I badly want a new camera to get more creative and take better pictures.

At this second, I'm leaning toward the P712. In the hope it drops to 350$ or lower. If it drops to 400$. I can't get any accesories. I would have to buy them my self...<______< Not that I really would need many. Probally just a bag and a 1gb SD card!

I hope this turns out ok...

-En121
Old Aug 2, 2006, 7:23 AM   #24

The P712 should have been named the P850 II or P850 B as it's nothing more than the incremental next version and the replacement of the original P850. The new name was just a Kodak marketing strategy to give braindead consumers the impression that it was an entirely "new" model. We all want something "new", don't we? It's no surprise then that the P850s are quickly becoming scarce. If you have your eye on a P850, you'd better grab one soon. And prepare for a P712 marketing blitz from Kodak. I'm going on record to predict that the P712 will be selling at most big retail chains in the U.S.A. (Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City, WalMart, OfficeMax, etc.) this Holiday season for $350 U.S. plus some promotional giveaway or rebate. And right after "Black Friday", a bunch of them will appear on eBay.

But then again, I may be wrong.. LOL.
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 7:28 AM   #25

Dawg, I'd respectfully use the word "venerable" for your DX6490.
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 10:34 AM   #26

Profk wrote:
Quote:
, but it seems like the supply is dwindling. I couldn't find a new one on line except at the old price $350 to $450.

I got mine from Sam's Club for $287. I know they deliver or you can pick it up, providing you have a membership (or know someone who does!)

Nik
scrappynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 10:43 AM   #27

Thanks Brut I'll go with the "V" word! LOLOL Also want to say that 1 or 2 megapixals don't make that big a difference if you know your camera! I'm waiting on the 15+ megapixel camera before I change! By then the "Newbie" may have worn off me enough to want to print large format photo's!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 11:08 AM   #28

Yeah. It looks like sams club has them (or maybe one..) But, they didn't have any at our local one. (At least, not when I checked online..) I hope they still have them till christmas.

But, if the P712 is 350$ somewhere by then, I think the little bit of extra cash will be worth it.

-En121
Old Aug 2, 2006, 11:11 AM   #29

Heh. That's not really the problem... I have to wait till Christmas, and P850's are starting to fade....

But, yeah. If we can get a P712 for 350$ or less. I'll be getting that one. I think its worth the extra cash. And by Christmas....man, they might be all gone...

-En121