Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:28 PM   #1

Yeah. Looking for a new digital camera. I can get one for Christmas, but, it has to be realitively cheap. (Say around 350$ or less (Maybe more...don't know) .) I'm really liking how the P850 is looking. I've seen some great shots taken with it.

Anybody care to give me some user pros and cons? I've read reviews. Some good, some not so good. (and some pros and cons. I just want some real in-depth user pros and cons. Please. )

Also, I'm also thinking about the P712. That one looks really good. but, right now its a bit too much. I'm hoping there will be a pretty decent price drop for the holidays.
Anyway, anobody have any experience for that camera?

Thanks in advance.

-En121
En121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:33 PM   #2

Oops. I guess I'll go post this in "What camera should I buy?" Sorry about this.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:18 AM   #3

No, thats ok, you posted at the good place

There isa fewp850 owners here, so I guess you will get a few answers!!

The p850 is a good camera!

The only reason you should buy the p712 is if you are planing to print big...(poster size 12x18 and over)

If you don'tneed to print big picturesthe p850 will be the best choice for the money:-)

You can also look at my picture gallery (pictures taken with the p850)

http://boily.myphotoalbum.com/

Boily
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:28 AM   #4

Thanks! I've seen some of your photos...they're really great. I don't think I'll be doing big prints (I'll probally get a Kodak EasyShare Printer Dock Series 3. for 4x6 prints.) . The price would have to come down a lot on the P712 for me to get it.

So, I think the P850 is my camera of choice right now.If I get one, I would love some tips. I ould really love to know how you get such sharp photos of animals. (Manual focus?) And any other tips are welcome. (Like, getting such sharp close-ups...I've heard that can be a slight pain with the P850...)

Thanks.

En121
Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:31 AM   #5

Don't be shy to ask questions here:-)

Anybody will help you if you have questions!!

I hope you will post some of your pictures if you get the p850

Boily
Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:43 AM   #6

I just looked through your wildlife gallery...ITS ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!!...I hope I can be that good someday...

-En121
Old Aug 1, 2006, 1:01 AM   #7

Thanks a lot

I am sure you will get good, maby better than me...

It only takes some practice and some patience:-)

Boily
Old Aug 1, 2006, 8:31 AM   #8

En121... Cameras in the price range of the P850 are usually a balancing act of compromises. One manufacturer's camera may shine in one specific perrformance measurement and be below average in another. I think the P850 is a well balanced camera overall, especially after the infamous firmware update. I'm very happy with mine and I feel I made the best decision when I bought it last year.

Would I buy one today if I was looking for the same class of digital camera? Hell no! I would cough up the few extra bucks and buy the P712. I belong to the camp that believes more megapixels IS a better thing. Plus... the P712 has improved autofocus and a few other improvements over the P850. In 2 years retailers will be blowing out the P712 and it will be replaced by some 12 megapixel wunderkamera. The P850 by then will be a dinosaur.

If you absolutely have to own a P850, buy a used one. Don't pay more than 75% of the best current retail price for one unless you enjoy purchasing obsolescence and depreciation.
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:45 AM   #9

I just bought the P850 this past Friday and I've been really happy with it. I've taken over 600 photos already (Yeah, I'm snap happy, lol). I'm still learning all the bells and whistles and settings and whatnot. Overall though, I know I am going to be owning this camera for quite some time. You can always buy different lenses, filters, extrenal flash, etc. for this camera too which will all be my next major purchases. I too was thinking of the P712 but don't care for the sticker price on that. I paid $287 for my P850 which I think was a pretty good deal. Good luck in whatever you decide!
Niki
scrappynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:46 AM   #10

Yeah. The P712 has an AF assist lamp...and more Megapixels...I would rather have that one. But, it will need to have a price drop. I also like the panorama sticth mode! but yeah, if I got a P850. Next year it would be old, along with the same problems. But, if I got a P712, it wouldn't be as old as some new 10+ megapixel thing....

Well, I hope the P712 has a price drop... Then again, I'm willing to pay 100$ if it doesn't price drop. Then my parents can take care of the rest. XDDD

-En121