Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 2, 2006, 1:03 AM   #11

Thank you very much for the kind comments!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 1:08 AM   #12

That's the sort of potential I was talking about dawg!

nik, I think you may have had another light source somewhere nearby that was affecting the shot? dawg's pic has a straight black sky. I've noticed that with the right surroundings, all the kodaks I've used will fill in night shots with flat black, to offer better contrast on the subject and to save space (you may have noticed dawg, the file size on those was probably half of what a daytime pic would be!)

It took me a good while to get my moon pics to come out looking like they should, but this is an area where more zoom is always a better thing! my 5.8x just doesn't bring it in close enough for a good moon portrait. the 12x on the 850 is ALOT better for this, and with a tcon17, you're looking at 20.4x optical! You could probably even safely go with a 1.4x digital on top of that for a whopping 28.5x, hell you might even be able to see the lunar lander :lol:

If you haven't already, read some of the things in the tips and tricks subforum,
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=78
wizbummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 1:42 AM   #13

With the 1.7 Tcon 17 you get a 20.4X zoom Using the P850. Multiply that times a 5X digital zoom you get a 105X zoom! These shots were taken with the DX6490 which has a 10X zoom times a 1.7X TCON zoom gives you a 17X zoom times a max of 3X digital Zoom gives you a 51X zoom. The TCON 17 and a P850 camera has the potential to give twice the magnification of my DX6490! Geez the more I talk like this the more I want one!!! LOLOL ZOOM-ZOOM-ZOOM!!! LOL
Old Aug 2, 2006, 11:42 AM   #14

wizbummer wrote:
Quote:
What kind of settings did you use?

I actually just used the auto mode...I took a couple with the "night landscape" mode and didn't like the results. I still haven't ventured to the manual modes yet :whack:I guess because it's been a few years since I've usedsetting like that (on my Rebel 2000 SLR). It wasn't completely dark when I took the photos, the sun was setting so there was some light still, guess I should try it when it's completely dark out, lol.

No tripod yet but I'll probably get one sooner or later. Great shots Dawg!

Nik
scrappynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 11:54 AM   #15

Thanks Nik. I realy appreciate the praise. Naw actually I revel in it! LOL Here is the EXIF data for those that want to try! They should work for most any camera! Try them you'll like 'em! LOL Remember spot focus and center weight metering and keep at least a part of the moon in the framing brackets! Daytime settings and I use a tripod and the shutter timed release to avoid jiggling the camera! I'll post the EXIF in the same order as the photos were posted!

Dawg
Attached Images

Old Aug 2, 2006, 11:56 AM   #16

Attached Images

Old Aug 2, 2006, 11:56 AM   #17

Attached Images

Old Aug 2, 2006, 11:58 AM   #18

Attached Images

Old Aug 3, 2006, 1:17 AM   #19

Sorry dawg, but the P850 only has 3.3x digital zoom. So you're looking at a 67.3x zoom, certainly not bad... haha, if only you could get lenses with optical zoom going that high.

I have yet to get a good moon shot, my wobbly mini-tripod just won't cut it.

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
With the 1.7 Tcon 17 you get a 20.4X zoom Using the P850. Multiply that times a 5X digital zoom you get a 105X zoom! These shots were taken with the DX6490 which has a 10X zoom times a 1.7X TCON zoom gives you a 17X zoom times a max of 3X digital Zoom gives you a 51X zoom. The TCON 17 and a P850 camera has the potential to give twice the magnification of my DX6490! Geez the more I talk like this the more I want one!!! LOLOL ZOOM-ZOOM-ZOOM!!! LOL
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 1:34 AM   #20

I'm very sorry if I miss spoke Morag! The tripod I use I bought at Wal-Mart for about 29 dollars or so! It is super light weight but very serviceable! The Pan works very smooth and the tilt can be managed though not as smooth as I would like! I got it because it would raise to a heigth that my 6'2" frame could use without bending over too far! LOL Here is a look at it!

Dawg
Attached Images