Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 2, 2006, 6:50 PM   #1

I have looked for the tips and tricks on manuel focus with the P850 and can not find it. I would like to read and understand it.

someone said in the post by Boily that you focus on like say the road and then lock AF and then wait on the cars. I have tryed to use manuel focus on several thing and once you oftain focus on my camera you can not lock AF at all.

I would appreciate information on this.

Thanks you for your ime and any information you can give.

Richard
RMR52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2006, 7:14 PM   #2

I think I said that...

Anyway, I think you can only lock Auto Focus... my bad. I'm not so sure you can lock manual focus. Then again, I don't have the camera.. But, you can probally just focus, then wait for cars. I don't think you have to lock it....

Goodluck.

-En121
En121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 7:17 PM   #3

RMR52 wrote:
Quote:

someone said in the post by Boily that you focus on like say the road and then lock AF...

That sounds like standard practice for locking auto focus and not manual focus.

You lock auto focus by pressing the shutter button half-way. If you can't lock focus on a subject, say a bird in a tree, but can focus on something at the same distance as the subject then you do lock focus on what you can and then aim the camera at the subject.

You would use that same technique on a moving car because focussing on the car takes too long. The car willhave moved beyond focus range before you can take the shot. Pre-focussing on the road has you ready for the car when it comes.

Manual focus is a different procedure.

Hope I've understood you and that helps some.

domang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 8:31 PM   #4

I don't own a P850, but here's what I found on the kodak website from the 850's user guide:

Press the focus button (on the top of the camera, on the left) until MF shows
Use the joystick to move the focus zone around the screen. A graph will show the degree of focus.

It's the same selectable-zone focus as the 880, but different than the manual focus ring the 880 has. You're telling the camera what spot to auto-focus on, but it still has to do all the adjustments to bring that zone into focus.

Hope this helps!
wizbummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 8:33 PM   #5

Domang as it right !!

I focused on the road with the auto focus because the road and the car is at the same distance:-)

I don't really know how to lock the focus for many shots but for one shot you just have to press the AFlock button for a few secondsand it will be ready to shoot with the focus lock for the next shot !

Boily
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 8:49 PM   #6

I thought the P850 had a focus lock and I see I was right! On the DX6490 you have to do the half push shutter deal to maintain a lock! Works great though and immediatly after you shoot you can move the camera and redo it in a flash!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 8:50 PM   #7

Hmm... How did you get the auto focus to focus on the road? Did you make the road the center of the shot? On Center Zone AF? :?

-En121
Old Aug 3, 2006, 12:42 AM   #8

Put the road in the center of the framing brackets and depress half way with my camera!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 10:25 AM   #9

Ah. So that will focus on the road. Then when the car comes, it will be in focus as well?

Sounds easy. XD

-En121