Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 3, 2006, 3:52 PM   #11

I believe I saw something probably from the Kodak Guy (forgot name) that the "Calibrate Imager" is suposed to take care of faulty pixels. Check for info on that possibility.

Ken S.
kselfrid2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 9:34 PM   #12

Don't despair, you can still get good shots with it in low-light, but like I said, use RAW format for it (and make sure you have a BIG memory card!) so you can make adjustments later. I'd say the 880 is a great camera for someone not ready for dSLR but wanting more options that just point-and-shoot. It's definately not the best camera out there for what you're trying to use, but it's not bad still! And it tends to grow on you Try using it daily, just bumming around and taking random pics, trying out the different modes and settings to see what and how much they affect. It's got a steep learning curve (as far as kodaks go, which usually are super-easy) but I had most of the commands and button locations down within 2 weeks. Oh, and don't forget to install the firmware update, it made quite a difference on the recording time of the images! the "calibrate imager" option is only available with the update, it didn't come from the factory with that option.

Venture away from auto!!! within a week of getting the camera, I stopped using the auto completely and just use my manual settings. Get used to using the manual focus as well, I normally keep it on MF assist AF, so the camera will do a quick focus and I can fine tune it from there, but on occasion I'll leave it completely on manual focus. I only do that when I have the time to set up the shots, plus it leaves it at the same focus from shot to shot. For the kind of pics you're taking, I would say MF assist AF. Either way, get used to using a focus ring, it's definately useful and is what you're gonna find on the dSLRs!

If a tripod isn't feasable, consider a monopod? may look kinda funny, walking around with a camera on a stick, but it's great to provide stability when you need it without taking up lots of room!

As long as you didn't spend a heap of money on the camera, I'd say keep it a while, the resale value has been good on them so far because nothing from kodak has replaced it.
wizbummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 9:45 PM   #13

a suggestion on the focusing issue-set it so that it is not on continuous. just focus and lock--that stops the noise from the focusing mechanism hunting as the camera moves.

i always shoot iso 200 or under. i love it when i am outdoor and can set it to iso 50 in the custom mode. the lens at 24mm seems super so far. DPREVIEW.com has a Kodak forum where a Kodak employee hangs out andanswers technical questions.
kcmargulies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 7:02 AM   #14

kselfrid2; I already tried the image calibration but no joy. The rogue pixel is still there. I've noticed something strange about it also. When I depress the shutter button it vanishes! Often it will change colour from blue to green. I suspect it's one of the on-screen info pixels gone off course a little. It's visible on image preview too.

As for focus issues, well I updated firmware and played with the custom configuration and took some fantastic shots, even during night with artificial light. I have still yet to test it in the nightclubs though.

And I've fixed the noisy focus hunter by setting the camera to single rather than continous autofocus.

I'm liking the camera a lot more than I was yesterday, but still have a long way to go before I reach the quality of photos I know the camera is capable of.

And price, well I paid £240 for it which is less than I paid for my last compact! A reasonable price for such a quality piece of kit but still a lot of money to spend on something which you're not completely happy with.

The only real issue for me at the moment is that damn rogue pixel. If I can fix that without having to exchange the camera I'm laughing.
TheMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 7:22 AM   #15

I bought my camera from Amazon. I'm a big eBay buyer but I'd never used Amazon before. Yesterday I sent them an email regarding the rogue pixel, simply asking about their return policy if I discover that the pixel is a factory fault.
I've just checked my email and it seems they are concerned that I may not be completely satisfied with my purchase and have dispatched a replacement camera to me at no additional cost!

My camera will arrive tomorrow. I will then return the old one to them and Bob's your aunties brother!

Have to say that I'm pleased with that service. Can't fault them at all.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 8:47 AM   #16

That's great to hear! Now that you've mentionded it, the changing from blue to green of that pixel most likely means it's a rouge from the framing bracket. Switch the camera to landscape mode (the bracket will disappear) and see if that pixel disappears too.

Haha, took me a second to get this (not a brit, i'm a good ol' yankee)
TheMachine wrote:
Quote:
My camera will arrive tomorrow. I will then return the old one to them and Bob's your aunties brother!
Old Aug 4, 2006, 12:06 PM   #17

Yes that's exactly what it is. Good to know that it wasn't anything serious but the new one is on the way now anyway so it's all good.

Come on you daytime photographers, give me some tips of the best configuration for various daylight conditions.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 2:42 AM   #18

Well... My replacement arrived this morning, and gues what... It's got the same damn pixel problem, only this one has two pixels on the right!!!

Do you think this could possibly have something to do with the fact that Amazon are selling them so cheap? What are the chances of me getting two faulty LCDs in a row?
Old Aug 5, 2006, 1:21 PM   #19

Well nuts!

I'm assuming the condition of these cameras is listed as "used"? Amazon doesn't really sell much itself, rather it's a middleman. You're buying the camera from a private party, amazon is just a listing service like eBay.

Daylight photos come out great with the 880. I use fast exposures, 1/500-1/1000 in direct sunlight, with apetures set between f2.8-f4. The preset white balances are only useful to a point, although daylight conditions come out pretty well with them. I usually leave it on "auto WB" or select a preset for outdoor, for indoor I will use the click WB and let the camera try to select a propper setting. Sometimes it goes completely off, making the pics blue or green, which at times I actually like because it makes a cool effect, may not be what you're looking for.

Hope this helps ya
Old Aug 5, 2006, 3:23 PM   #20

The condition is new, which is why I'm so gutted. I'd expect to see minor problems on any used camera, which is why I'd never buy used.

I've contacted Amazon again. They are a little concerned about this also. As a result they will not be issuing a replacement, but have advised me to return both cameras whilst the investigation is carried out and tests done.

To be completely honest, I'm not sure I can be bothered with all this messing around. By the time they test the camera and offer me a refund or replacement from another supplier, I'll be climbing the walls. As I mentioned earlier, I sold my last camera when this one arrived.

So basically, I'm stuck with it. Have to say though that I can live with it. The pixels are not as bright as the one on the first camera. These seem a dull brown colour rather than the bright blue/green. They are not very obvious, and probably wouldn't even be noticeable to the untrained eye.

Anyway, rants aside... I've had another good play with the camera today and seem to be getting some great shots now I'm becomming familiar with the fine-tuning.
The big test will be in the nightclubs tonight.

I configured the camera for indoor night photography last night and I think I've got it just how I want it. Time will tell.

Oh, I posted on another thread regarding the firmware update. I downloaded, extracted and installed the firmware update on the first camera yesterday. But after uploading the update to the camera, switching off, disconnecting the USB and switching on again, nothing was happening!
I wasn't sure if the update had been successful or not since I'd never installed firmware updates before.
Well today I realised that it hadn't when I installed it on the new camera. The installation procedure which follows after USB disconnection didn't happen on the first camera! Bit strange that isn't it.