Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 5, 2006, 3:28 PM   #21

I usually don't weigh-in on discussions of this type about a camera I've not used but the indoor photography issue is one I've seen on almost every camera on this forum.

If you want some tips and tricks then please check out Cold Snail's tips and tricks for low light and indoor photos on the easysharer's forum! They are worth their weight in gold!

http://www.myfreebulletinboard.com/f...9&mforum=1

I know this will help no matter the model of Kodak camera you have!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 8:44 PM   #22

Thanks for the offer there but I generally avoid any dodgy "free bulletin board" websites. Especially the ones which force you to register before you can view the threads. Very unprofessional and certainly not the type of site I'd be looking to for any level of advice.
TheMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 12:09 PM   #23

Sorry you are so uninformed! Ya see Cold Snail started that site and is from England also. He has been a great influence on my photography as well as a large number of folks on this site! Quite a few post there as well as here! As for the dodgey web site I do take umbrage with that as I am the Site Administrator there! We only try to offer sound advice for the Kodak users out there! I only offered that URL as it does contain a lot of information on the different modes. You could have joined and then quit if you had wished to do so! But from the attitude I see from your reply I guess anything that I offered as advice would be considered Dodgey by you and suspect in all ways therefore I'l not reply to your posts! Have a very good day and happy shooting!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 2:56 PM   #24

Sorry I didn't mean to offend you. I just don't see why people need to lock up forums and force registration unless they are aiming to create a private community. Information resources should be open to the public, especially since bots cannot spider private forums.

I'm sure the forum is a great resource but until it's information is made public and registrations optional I have no interest in the site.

Old Aug 6, 2006, 3:09 PM   #25

Anyway... I took the camera out to the nightclubs last night and I was very pleased with it's performance. I wasn't expecting to be that impressed after Wizman's post, so you can imagine how pleased I was to see great quality images.

I had configured the camera for night use at home and didn't mess about with the settings last night. The images looked great on my camera, although I had the white balance wrong and the images have far too much colour.

There is a little but of a pin cusion effect on wide angel shots, which isn't ideal but not a major problem since I won't be shooting in wide angle too much. And the focus isn't as sharp as I'd like it to be. However I'm confident that it can all be improved with more configuration.

The LCD was fantastic and bright. In fact, it's the best I've used so far. Some LCD's struggle in the dark environment but this one was awesome.

One thing which did get on my nerves was the image preview. My last camera has preview options, one of which was to have the auto preview stay on screen until you depress the shutter button again. That's fantastic since I have to show the people the image after taking the photo. When a group are viewing then it may take a minute or two to show them all. The preview stops after a few seconds meaning you have to press the preview button, which can be a ball-ache. Once again not a major problem. I'll get used to it.

The focus did very well. I'd read about slow auto focus in dim lighting conditions. I didn't really have any wait. My images are all about speed. In a club with 300 people all wanting their photos taken you have to take the pic, show them and move on as quickly as possible. Standing there waiting for the focus to kick in wouldn't have been an option, but it's very good and fast enough for my needs.

All in all very good performance. So away with all those of you who cast a shadow on the P880's low-light performance. It is capable of taking fantastic photos in any lighting condition.

Very pleased
Old Aug 6, 2006, 5:53 PM   #26

Allow me to elaborate a bit on my comments on the low-light performace. In fairness to the 880, I'm talking pretty damn low. I don't have any device to measure the levels, but the "club" I took pics at was a city cafe, max occupancy probably 100. I wasn't taking pics of the patrons, I was taking pics of the bands, and the lighting consisted of an LED ropelight going around the stage area, the house-lights which were either dimmed or off at times, and like 5 low-power stage lights. Here's a pic of the setup, this is at the end of the night where they turned the house lights on, telling the band that time was up.

ISO 100, f2.8, 1/16 sec. exposure
Attached Images

wizbummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 5:55 PM   #27

Earlier in the evening. ISO 200, 1/4 sec exposure, f3.2.
Attached Images

Old Aug 6, 2006, 5:59 PM   #28

Dialed in the WB a bit better:
ISO 100, f3.2, 1/3 second exposure. Notice how his right hand is blurred a bit
Attached Images

Old Aug 6, 2006, 6:02 PM   #29

1/3 sec exposure, f2.8, ISO 100
Attached Images

Old Aug 6, 2006, 6:06 PM   #30

No your camera can perform so much better than that. Here's a couple of mine from last night. I took around 250 and they are all the same quality as these ones.
Attached Images