Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 3, 2006, 3:25 PM   #1

The battery that came with my P850 is the same one that I use for my DX7630. It just seems like it would last alot longer in the 7630 than it does in the 850 before the battery indicator shows only one cell (fully charged it shows three). Does the 850 just use more battery power? I would just hate for both batteries to die out before I'm done shooting when going someplace for hours at a time (zoo, etc.). Should I get a third battery? :?

Niki
scrappynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2006, 3:36 PM   #2

That's probally a good idea. I don't know if the P850 uses more power... But, its probally just a good idea to get another.

You can get one for like 29.99$. Or, you can get a different model for like 19.99$. (from kodak.com) Or, you could go to Amazon.com and check the prices for batteries there.

Here's the more powerful one: KLIC-5001 Li-ion Battery Pack ( I think the less powerful one is the: KLIC-5000 Li-ion Battery Pack.)

That's the more powerful one. You would probally want to get that one.

Cheers.

-En121
En121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 7:54 AM   #3

Ah yes, I had forgotten to mention that to you before. There's a slim Li-ion which at least half of the 7630's came with, and the extended battery which should have come with your 850. You may have gotten the extended with your 7630, I don't know, but here are a few tips to extend your battery life:

Turn off continuous AF. To focus on an object you'll have to press the shutter halfway.
Turn off the live-view and just use the viewfinder. The button to switch between them is right by the viewfinder so for situations where live view would really help, you can easily go back and forth.

Those 2 things should give you about another 70 pictures per charge! If you didn't delete any, use the flash much, or spend a long time tooling around the menus, you should be able to get 300+ pics per charge. Your older one, having already been used, probably will not hold quite as much charge as the new one, these Li-ions have about 300-350 charges in them before they go bad.

Oh, and more than likely the 850 will use more power. Bigger LCD, and faster motors inside for focusing probably equate to more power consumption. But not by a whole heck of alot
wizbummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 11:14 AM   #4

My DX7630 takes the same battery Li-ion KLIC 5001. So lucky for me I have plenty of power with my new P880.

Don't forget to check the mAh too. I ordered some from Japan a while ago, mAh 1600's, but the most recent ones are 2000's.
TheMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 2:36 PM   #5

I'd get a 3rd one.

I went through 1 and a half batterys at my brothers wedding
and I took 566 pics.

but I used my live view the whole time and the flash in every shot.

You can find these batteris on ebay for real cheap.
between $5-10

I bought two off there and they work great
sameroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 4:47 PM   #6

Thanks everyone

En121--both batteries that I have are the 5001's.

wizbummer--I did have the continuous AF on and with this camera so that's been changed. We'll see how things fare at our zoo trip tomorrow night.

TheMachine--I didn't know about the mAh's.....one is 1700mAh and the other is 1800 mAh...I take the larger the number, the better?

sameroad--thanks, I'll be checking out Ebay sooner or later for batteries.

scrappynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 7:07 PM   #7

The Auto Review also eats up batteries! I went to a antique Motorcycle Museum a while back and shot right at 500 photos with my DX6490 before having to swap batteries. I used no flash or auto focus and no auto review! Worked great! The amount of shots I can store on a 512 MB card is about the same as my battery can take!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 10:44 PM   #8

I'd stay away from the ebay generic batteries. I bought one quite awhile back for my P850 and although I got good battery life out of it, for some reason the camera would shut off for no reason whatsoever.The only way I could turn on the camera was to remove the battery and re insert it. This never happened with the original battery, and hasnt happend with a newer kodak battery. Plus, using a non Kodak battery could void the warranty. Go to the kodak website, they will give you a list of vendors that carry the original Kodak battery. The generic ones on ebay look very much like Kodak, but they are not. They are quite cheaper, the kodaks go for $25-30, but you already spent alot on the camera, dont skimp out on the battery. At least its not a Sony battery, they charge $60 or more!
aeroshep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 9:19 PM   #9

Yes, the higher the number, the more juice your battery has

scrappynik wrote:
Quote:
TheMachine--I didn't know about the mAh's.....one is 1700mAh and the other is 1800 mAh...I take the larger the number, the better?
TheMachine is offline   Reply With Quote