Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 4, 2006, 11:50 PM   #1

I know I just got the camera but I am getting so frustrated. Mostly because as hard as I try, I just cannot get the DOF the way I want it. I've tried every setting today and still nothing. I was hoping to get some really good shots on our trip to the zoo Sat. evening but without knowing exactly how to achieve what I want, I'll get what I don't want...just mediocre photos...and I know this camera and myself are capable of more than just mediocre...I used to take some amazing shots with my Rebel 2000. Any advice before I start doing this? :angry:LOL :whack:

Nik
scrappynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2006, 12:01 AM   #2

Are you trying to get dof of dslr with a consumer camera? I mean since you are a dslr user, you are knowing how to get more dof or shallow dof and what kind of optics will deliver it. Kodak P850 shows much shallow dof with compared to lots of cams in competition but you can not compare it with dslr.

Now one technique is to use Macro mode at full zoom and stay about 3 ft or so away from the subject or moreover use a TCON+Macromode+full opt zoom and maintain the appropriate distance to have focus lock and see the results. I mean post also the results.

Atindra
Atindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 12:08 AM   #3

Here's a few shots i took at the zoo a couple of weeks ago. This camera has great capabilities, but it takes a while to learn.

Attached Images

aeroshep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 12:08 AM   #4

Another one
Attached Images

Old Aug 5, 2006, 12:10 AM   #5

Another
Attached Images

Old Aug 5, 2006, 12:11 AM   #6

Last one...I took a hundred or more, but I wont post them all
Attached Images

Old Aug 5, 2006, 12:14 AM   #7

Nik most folks get frustrated by trying to do too much! If depth of field is what your after then concentrate on that only and explore the A mode! If it's macros then try macro mode and A mode!Also the long tele lens can help with depth of field by zooming up to a subject you'll get that DOF you're looking for! For that last the TCON-17 helps me quite a bit. But th gist of my meandering is take these things one at a time and document if you have to the distance a subject was from you the light source and how bright it was then the camera settings! All successfuk journeys are accomplished by moving one step at a time! With my camera I did only one thing for a while then moved on to something else after I became semi-proficient at it! Just my thoughts....That camera has sooo many bells and whistles on it that it can become confusing and frustrating if you let it but if you will try mastering one aspect at a time then eventually you'll no longer even have to think what to do but just do it! Hope this may help. I'm sure others here have gone through the same thing before! Good luck and happy shooting!

BigDawg Aka Edwin
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote