Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 6, 2006, 6:17 PM   #1

Maybe someone with more RAW experience canhelp me. I download the Photoshp Elements update which allows me to edit Kodak RAW but the Photshop camera transfer dosen't recognize the RAW extension.

I experimented with the Microsoft transfere utilitiy and it does allow you to download from the camera.

I would use the Kodak software but 6.01 for some reason doesn;t work on my my Dell C400 Latitude XP system computer,,,,,some I/O parsing error...I am not basic or xml expert so I woulddn't know where to start her..

My question is should Photoshop elements 4.0 be able to downbload the Raw files from the camera?
JimWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2006, 7:49 PM   #2

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've read, RAW can be made somewhat proprietary. Different manufactures can use different methods to decode the RAW image files, the only set standard of RAW is what information it records along with the image and how the image is translated to a digital file (the coding of the file can be different from brand to brand).

So if I'm right about that much, that means that you have to utalize the kodak software to decode the RAW file into a usable format. Photoshop can use plugins to decode the RAW files without having to use the manufacturer's separate software, but I believe this feature is only available for photoshop CS or CS2.
wizbummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 9:30 PM   #3

Hi Wizbummer,

Adobe has a plugin 3.4 that allows Photoshop Elements 4.0 to edit Kodak RAW (I have allread done this and it works) the problem is that Adobe Photoshop elements doesn't recognize from the camera I have to import it from my computer via the SD.

I later found out that Microsofts camera syn/download will down load the files from the camera to my computer....so that helps. i am just curious as to why Abobe Photoshop can edit the RAW Kodak files but not download them from the camera...seems strange.

You are not limited to editing Kodak RAW files with the Kodak Eashshare 6.01 software.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 6:49 AM   #4

This is not an answer to Jim Whit's question, but a related aside.... I don't use Photoshop elements and I never have, I use Photoshop CS2. But I've noticed that any time I plug my USB thumb drive or a camera's memory card into a PC with PS Elements installed, an Elements pop up window opens and Elements immediately starts trying to download whatever files happen to be on my thumbdrive or card. This is really annoying as it overides Windows XP's normal Autoplay dialog which essentially is saying "OK buddy, I recognized your lousey SD card or thumbdrive, now what?" and you choose what you want to do. Isn't there a preference setting in Elements to turn this overly aggressive download function off?
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 8:11 AM   #5

I don't use Photoshop CS2 but I would go to what ever part of Photoshop CS controls the download and look for somthing called preferences on the tools edit portion of the menu bar and see if you can chage a preferencce not to include SD cards in the down load manger,

or go to prgogram access and defaults of your operating system and look at your custom settings, you definately should be able to make it go back to the default settings here.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 11:09 PM   #6

JimWhit, I think you misunderstood me. I was talking about PCs with PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS installed, NOT Photoshop CS or CS2. A lot of real estate agents working with the same I company I work for ask me to teach them how to transfer image files from their digital camera to their laptop. Every time I encounter a laptop with PS Elements installed it goes wild trying to suck the contents off the memory device as soon as you insert a memory card or thumbdrive. Man, that's annoying! Isn't there a preference setting to not have this software start with Windows?
Old Aug 9, 2006, 10:16 AM   #7

When I first installed Elements, I had the same problem. It's been a while but I'll try to remember the steps:

When Elements opens and starts trying to grab the pics, click "Cancel" or close Elements.

On systems with XP, a box opens that lets you chose a program. I always use "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" to grab my pics. After you highlight whatever program you want to use to grab your pics, click "Always use this program" or whatever the option is at the bottom of the box to set that program as default.

I think that's what finally stopped Elements from opening and trying to grab the pics from my camera.

Hope this helps
WVButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 3:11 PM   #8

WVB... Thanks, for the input but I think I should have asked this question more rhetorically... Why in the heck did Adobe make this program so aggressive? I don't trust any application that tries to grab all the files off my thumbdrive without me directing it to. But I need to stop ranting as I don't own or use PS Elements anyway.

Getting back to Mr. Whit's original question.... My guess is Adobe wrote this app to be a bare bones/light weight version of Photoshop and they just made a decision to omit this specific functionality. Any consumer targeted app with the suffix 'Elements' or 'SE' or 'LE' in the name is going to have some advanced functions unavailable.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 10:01 PM   #9

WVButterfly,

I believe your right on the assessment and solution to the to elements hyjacking the thumb drive,,,I hit thecancel at the bottom of the popup promptasking whatexe touse to download....