Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 9, 2006, 5:05 PM   #11

USB card readers are cheap and should speed up the transfers. And you'll have all your pics on the puter before thinking about deleting anything.
domang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 5:07 PM   #12

Yeah I know and it's on my buy list with the speed of this USB transfer, but that doesn't help me right now... Looks like my pics are history
TheMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 5:46 PM   #13
Administrator

First of all, don't take any more photos if you want to save the ones you already have. You'll be overwriting portions of images that are still on the card.

Are you sure it doesn't show up as a removable drive?

Look under "My Computer" for it when it's plugged in. If it's there, just write down the drive letter associated with it and use that with the free Digital Image Recovery Program (you'll need to select the appropriate drive letter, as your camera won't show up in it's list).

If your camera doesn't show up under My Computer in Windows, then I'd get a card reader.

They're dirt cheap. You can probably pick one up at a local Best Buy, Circuit City, Staples, Office Depot, etc. for around $20

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 5:54 PM   #14

Do you have windows XP?
shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 5:58 PM   #15

Oh man, that really s*cks! I never did that :::knocking on wood::: but I am always scared that I might do that someday... Hopefully you'll find a way to get those recovered!

niki
scrappynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 6:01 PM   #16

yah, you should be ableto get most of them recovered, if you can find your camera in the camera device list. Are you sure you had it turned on? And if you dont have windows XP, that could be a problem! Well not really but, you just need to download the driver if Kodak makes one??

next time copy all of the pics to the cpu first and then delete the ones you dont like....

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Good Luck,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"shooting_rubber
shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 6:24 PM   #17

Awww, c'mon guys, give me a little credit. I may be a noob to advanced photography but I'm pretty sure I can find a removable drive on my PC :lol:

Yes I have XP and no it's not in the device list, either grouped with drive devices on the PC or in the software drive list. I've tried shutting down additional device software and starting the camera up, and I've tried searching for new devices. Needless to say nothing seems to be working.

Strange because my last couple of cameras could be accessed as a removable. This is the first time I've had one which doesn't show up.

I'll try something else tomorrow. My camera is sleeping at the mo, and I should be to
Old Aug 9, 2006, 6:58 PM   #18

I said I wouldn't but my better side won out! I havn't deleted my files BUT.... I have had my camera dissapear from windows XP while attached with the USB cable! Thought it might be my cable but it wound up being my camera's female USB jack! Something went haywire with the plug! As a result I bought a Card reader and solved my problem! And before you say ..Oh no it couldn't be it's a new camera!!!...Well it happened to my camera only a month after it was purchased! Not saying that is what has happened with yours..but with XP not recognizing it as a removable drive or even showing it in any way...I'd believe it might be a connection problem of some kind! Just a thought!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 7:01 PM   #19

Well... I've actually got 2 P880's here. Tried them both, same problem. Factory fault? (Oh no not another one) Who knows.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Think I'll just cosider this a hard lesson learned and be more careful next time
Old Aug 9, 2006, 7:10 PM   #20
Administrator

If the photos are important to you, spend $20 and get a card reader.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote